What's new

Best Pictures on and not on Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
This topic was burried in the Driving Miss Daisy post, so i thought I'd bring it to the surface.EDIT: December 1st, 2013: Updated All the King's Men's status.These are the films NOT on Blu.(1928-29) - Broadway Melody(1930-31) - Cimarron(1934) - It Happened One Night(1936) - The Great Ziegfeld(1937) - The Life of Emile Zola(1938) - You Can't Take It with You(1944) - Going My Way(1945) - The Lost Weekend(1948) - Hamlet(1952) - The Greatest Show On Earth(1955) - Marty(1956) - Around the World in Eighty Days
(1963) - Tom Jones(1966) - A Man For All Seasons(1980) - Ordinary PeopleThese are the films ON Blu Ray:(1927-28) - Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (January 14th, 2014)(1927-28) - Wings(1929-30) - All Quiet on the Western Front(1931-32) - Grand Hotel(1932-33) - Cavalcade(1935) - Mutiney on the Bounty(1939) - Gone With The Wind(1940) - Rebecca(1941) - How Green Was My Valley(1942) - Mrs. Miniver(1943) - Casablanca(1946) - The Best Years of Our Lives(1947) - Gentlemens Agreement(1949) - All The King's Men (March 10th, 2014, from Twilight Time)
(1950) - All About Eve(1951) - An American in Paris(1953) - From Here to Eternity
(1954) - On The Waterfront(1957) - The Bridge On The River Kwai(1958) - Gigi(1959) - Ben-Hur(1960) - The Apartment(1961) - West Side Story(1962) - Lawrence of Arabia(1964) - My Fair Lady(1965) - The Sound of Music
(1967) - In The Heat of The Night (January 14th, 2014)
(1968) - Oliver!
(1969) - Midnight Cowboy(1970) - Patton(1971) - The French Connection(1972) - The Godfather(1973) - The Sting(1974) - The Godfather II(1975) - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest(1976) - Rocky(1977) - Annie Hall(1978) - The Deer Hunter(1979) - Kramer Vs. Kramer(1981) - Chariots of Fire(1982) - Gandhi(1983) - Terms of Enderment (Dec 3, 2013)
(1984) - Amadeaus(1985) - Out of Africa(1986) - Platoon(1987) - The Last Emperor(1988) - Rain Man(1989) - Driving Miss Daisy(1990) - Dances With Wolves(1991) - The Scilence of The Lambs(1992) - Unforgiven(1993) - Schindler's List(1994) - Forrest Gump(1995) - Braveheart(1996) - The English Patient(1997) - Titanic(1998) - Shakespeare in Love(1999) - American Beauty(2000) - Gladiator(2001) - A Beautiful Mind(2002) - Chicago(2003) - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King(2004) - Million Dollar Baby(2005) - Crash(2006) - The Departed(2007) - No Country for Old Men(2008) - Slumdog Millionaire(2009) - The Hurt Locker(2010) - The King's Speech(2011) - The Artist(2012) - ArgoPersonally, I am hoping for All of them to be released sooner rather than later, but the the ones I am MOST hoping for are:The Greatest Show on Earth, Cavalcade and Around the world in Eighty Days.What about you?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Even better question...All the ones not on Blu...are they all even on DVD yet? Last I checked(at least a year ago...probably longer) there were still a couple only on VHS. Granted some of them "that weren't on Blu"...now are on Blu and DVD at the same time...

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by schan1269
Even better question...All the ones not on Blu...are they all even on DVD yet?
Last I checked(at least a year ago...probably longer) there were still a couple only on VHS. Granted some of them "that weren't on Blu"...now are on Blu and DVD at the same time...
Yes, they are all on DVD, though Cavalcade is still only in the larger Fox 75th box set.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for bringing this thread to the surface. I have been wanting to buy as many Best Picture winners on Blu-ray as I am able and this list will greatly assist with me doing just that.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I am going to have to try and do this with ALL the NOMINEES... but that is a task in itself. I have most of them.... I don't know if I should attempt to upgrade them all to blu... (Oh boy!)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Brandon Conway said:
Yes, they are all on DVD, though Cavalcade is still only in the larger Fox 75th box set.
Cool I was checking, just after I asked...and made it 7 down the list. But cool. There are still some of them I don't have on DVD. I've been debating buying one of those "catchall" sets...

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Classic film lovers are crazy if they do not invest in a multi-region BD player. I certainly enjoy my Region B BDs of 45's LOST WEEKEND and 48's HAMLET . Both are really lovely transfers and welcome additions to my collection, and are available through Amazon UK. I'm constantly writing in CAVALCADE for a Fox BD release. That plus 80 DAYS and GREATEST SHOW top my list as most desired, as well.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ed Lachmann said:
Classic film lovers are crazy if they do not invest in a multi-region BD player. I certainly enjoy my Region B BDs of 45's LOST WEEKEND and 48's HAMLET . Both are really lovely transfers and welcome additions to my collection, and are available through Amazon UK. I'm constantly writing in CAVALCADE for a Fox BD release. That plus 80 DAYS and GREATEST SHOW top my list as most desired, as well.
I haven't made the leap to multi-region BD because of my love of multi-region DVD. That is expensive enough... Especially when there aren't enough BD out there for me to care about...a couple "recent" purchases...(though not necessarily Amazon...) http://www.amazon.com/Swedish-Love-Story-K%C3%A4rlekshistoria-Region/dp/B001H5OOZO/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1359405766&sr=1-1&keywords=swedish+love+story http://www.amazon.com/11-14-Henry-Thomas/dp/B000ALM40I/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1359406049&sr=1-2&keywords=11%3A14 (Russian version, but at the moment forget why it over the USA version) http://www.amazon.com/golpes-Chicas-sueltas-NON-USA-FORMAT/dp/B000JVMV48/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1359406098&sr=1-1&keywords=a+golpes Not that I want a DVD sidetrack...

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
The PS3 is the best Blu Ray player out there, and it's NOT region free. :( if Sony made their next PS region free, ... Is it true all WB Blus Rays are region free?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by battlebeast
Is it true all WB Blus Rays are region free?
Yes. However, I believe some of the Warner distributed titles, such as HBO, Paramount, and older pre-folding-in New Line titles, are region coded.

Does anyone think "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" will be re-released this year? I can't believe the soundtrack is lossy on the current releases. If there isn't going to be an upgrade, maybe I should just buy it.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
schan1269 said:
Especially when there aren't enough BDs out there for me to care about.
You know, Sam, I'm really agreeing with you these days. For as much as sources claim that BD is the growth sector of home entertainment sales, it's kind of an embarrassment how few movies I care about are being released. Of course, I'm an old school classic movie fan, but it does seem that there are quite a few of us. For me, the biggest thing BD provides is how it improves the look of widescreen films. And, there are very few of them being released in that format. Certainly many more classic B&W 4:3 titles pop up occasionally, some of it much cleaner and sharper but much of it barely an improvement over a standard DVD. And, studios like Paramount are now releasing titles like SAMSON AND DELILAH in DVD only, even after a 4K scan of original elements. Of course, one can find every 4th tier slasher film easily in sometimes several BD versions. God forbid they'd ever think of putting out titles like HAWAII, KHARTOUM, BARABBAS or TOM JONES! Sad thing is those titles would be gorgeous on BD but are close to unwatchable on a low resolution standard DVD.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
eric scott richard said:
Does anyone think "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" will be re-released this year? I can't believe the soundtrack is lossy on the current releases. If there isn't going to be an upgrade, maybe I should just buy it.
One way to assure that it will be reissued is if you DO go ahead a buy it now! :D

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
In case anyone was wondering who the current US rights holders were for the not-on-Blu list:
(1928-29) - Broadway Melody - Warner
(1930-31) - Cimarron - Warner(1932-33) - Cavalcade - Fox(1934) - It Happened One Night - Sony(1936) - The Great Ziegfeld - Warner(1937) - The Life of Emile Zola - Warner(1938) - You Can't Take It with You - Sony
(1944) - Going My Way - Universal(1945) - The Lost Weekend - Universal(1948) - Hamlet - Criterion (licensed from ITV Global)(1949) - All The King's Men - Sony
(1952) - The Greatest Show On Earth - Paramount (possibly sub-licensed to Warner)(1955) - Marty - MGM(1956) - Around the World in Eighty Days - Warner
(1963) - Tom Jones - MGM(1966) - A Man For All Seasons - Sony(1967) - In The Heat of The Night - MGM(1968) - Oliver - Sony(1980) - Ordinary People - Paramount (possibly sub-licensed to Warner)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Just thought I would mention that the 'other' Best Picture from 1927-28 - Sunrise is also available on Blu, but as an import. For those who don't know, for the first year, the Academy gave out two awards - one for Production - Wings, and one for Artistic - Sunrise. David

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Well if Amazon.CA can be trusted Best Years of our lives should be out around Novemver time frame, odd since i was at a B&M the other day and saw the dvd release
I know for Cavalcade, that i am not the only one who has used that many times as a write in for the current Fox promotion
Originally Posted by David Weicker
Just thought I would mention that the 'other' Best Picture from 1927-28 - Sunrise is also available on Blu, but as an import.
For those who don't know, for the first year, the Academy gave out two awards - one for Production - Wings, and one for Artistic - Sunrise.
David
As for the Fox Promotion i have mentioned this along with the Finn at Fox thread, oddly when the Studio Classic Collection started, this was only offered in a limited edition after the purchase of three titles, and had to send off for it, i know its available (UK) but would love to see Fox do one as well.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Originally Posted by dana martin
Well if Amazon.CA can be trusted Best Years of our lives should be out around Novemver time frame, odd since i was at a B&M the other day and saw the dvd release
I know for Cavalcade, that i am not the only one who has used that many times as a write in for the current Fox promotion
Originally Posted by David Weicker
Just thought I would mention that the 'other' Best Picture from 1927-28 - Sunrise is also available on Blu, but as an import.
For those who don't know, for the first year, the Academy gave out two awards - one for Production - Wings, and one for Artistic - Sunrise.
David
As for the Fox Promotion i have mentioned this along with the Finn at Fox thread, oddly when the Studio Classic Collection started, this was only offered in a limited edition after the purchase of three titles, and had to send off for it, i know its available (UK) but would love to see Fox do one as well.
i too have wrote-in CAVALCADE over and over and over again.
And as for the FOX Promotion, did you mean the Sunrise special DVD?
That would be brilliant on Blu. I have it on the "Cinema Classics" label and the Murneau and Borzage set. Oddly, the Borzage set eliminated the "Four Devils" recreation...

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
How about the Photoplay Medal of Honor Best Picture winners. Here are the top films from 1920 to 1928. The Photoplay awards predate the Oscars and were chosen by thousands of readers who would write in what film they thought deserved the award. And the winners were: 1920-HUMORESQUE (Frank Borzage) 1921-TOL'ABLE DAVID (Henry King) 1922-ROBIN HOOD (Alan Dwan/Douglas Fairbanks) 1923-THE COVERED WAGON (James Cruze) 1924-ABRAHAM LINCOLN (J. Searle Dawley-Only a Fragment Survives) 1925-THE BIG PARADE (King Vidor) 1926-BEAU GESTE (Herbert Brenon/Ronald Coleman) 1927-SEVENTH HEAVEN (Frank Borzage) which tied with... 1927-THE GENERAL (Buster Keaton) 1928-FOUR SONS (John Ford) Only the 1927 tied winners are available on BD, THE GENERAL through Kino and SEVENTH HEAVEN in a Region B French release by Carlotta. Word is that THE BIG PARADE is coming from Warners this year.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I'm now replacing all my Oscar winners for Best Picture ... on DVD ... with the same on Blu-Ray. However, it seems to me that I read a list somewhere detailing those Blu-Rays to AVOID. Could anyone steer me in the right direction, or just list those where the consensus seems to be HANG ONTO YOUR DVD!! Many thanks in advance for any help on this ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks