What's new

Valentine & Black History February Challenge (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
All throughout the month of February there will be a challenge to watch Romantic comedies, romantic dramas and everything to do with love. Also in addition to the romance challenge, February is the month of Black History. So if you have your favorite African American Actor, actress or director. Or if there is African American historical movies. Be sure to put in your place holder along with shooting Adam a PM so you can edit your post. You can also watch TV shows that are related to these challenges. example: Mad About You (love) Cosby Show (Black History Month) Also to add to your challenge be sure to watch the movie Groundhog Day on Saturday Feb 2nd Groundhog Day is a romance movie too :) COMING SOON!!! March will be Sci-fi Challenge

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
TITLES IN BOLD ARE FIRST TIME VIEWINGS ROMANCE MOVIES/TV Amelie (2001) Big Bang Theory #616 Tangible Affection Proof Bob's Burgers #313 My Fuzzy Valentine Boys and Girls (2000) Castle #514 Reality Star Struck Chasing Amy (1997) The Cleveland Show #409 Here Comes the Bribe Cruel Intensions (1999) Family Guy #1112 Valentine's Day in Quahog Five-Year Engagement (2012) Friends #815 The One With the Birthing Video Going the Distance (2010) Groundhog Day (1993) Lost in Translation (2003) My Bloody Valentine (1981) Never Been Kissed (1999) The Office #216 Valentine's Day The Office #518 Blood Drive The Office #915 Couples Discount Romancing the Stone (1984) Roxanne (1987) She's Out of My League (2010) This Means War (2012) Vertigo (1958) BLACK HISTORY MOVIES/TV Brewster's Millions (1985) The Cosby Show S1 #101 Theo's Economic Lesson #102 Goodbye Mr. Fish #103 Bad Dreams #104 Is That My Boy? #105 A Shirt Story #106 Breaking with Tradition Eddie Murphy's Raw (1987) I'm Gonna Git You Sucka (1988) Richard Pryor Live on the Sunset Strip (1982) The Toy (1982)

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Ratings 1-5 :star: New watches in bold Romance and Similar 01 Shall We Dance (2004) (bluray) :star::star::star::star: 02 Anastasia (1956) (Netflix) :star::star::star::star: 03 Four Daughters (1938) (tcm) :star::star::star::star:: 04 Groundhog Day (1993) (movie central) :star::star::star::star::half: 05 Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994) (bluray) :star::star::star::half: 06 The Decoy Bride (2011) (Netflix) :star::star: 07 The Holiday (2006) (bluray) :star::star::star::star: 08 Shakespeare in Love (1998) (bluray) :star::star::star::star::star: 09 Jane Eyre (1996) (Netflix) :star::star: 10 Finding Neverland (2004) (bluray) :star::star::star::star: 11 Just Friends (2005) (Netflix) :star::half: 12 King Kong (2005) (bluray) :star::star::star::star: 13 Salmon Fishing on the Yemen (2011) ( MFest) :star::star::star::star: 14 The Enchanted Cottage (1945)(tcm) :star::star::star::star: 15 Eat Pray Love (2010) (Netflix) :star::half: 16 I Capture the Castle (2003) (Netflix) :star::star::half: 17 Just Like Heaven (2005) (Mtime) :star::star::star::star: 18 Adam (2009) (Netflix) :star::star::star::star: 19 Atonement (20007) (bluray) :star::star::star::star::star: 20 The Back-up Plan (2010) (Netflix) bomb 21 Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) (dvd) :star::star::star::star::star: 22 Bringing Up Baby (1938) (dvd) :star::star::star::star::star: 23 Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947) (dvd) :star::star::star::star::star: Black Actors/History etc. 01 Crash (2004) (bluray) :star::star::star: 02 Caveman's Valentine (2001) (Netflix) :star::star::star::half: 03 Colour Purple (1985)(bluray) :star::star::star:

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Last week I read Michael Adams' SHOWGIRLS, TEEN WOLVES AND ASTRO ZOMBIES, which was basically him watching one bad movie a day for a complete year and writing about them. I ripped off a few ways to "watch" movies like the "Bingo" game but I also wrote down several titles that are going to help in this challenge as well as the sci-fi. Many blaxploitation pictures were listed so they'll be watched. I'm also going to try and go through the 50+ MGM/Our Gang shorts that I bought around Christmas. I've also got some on Amazon and Netflix including LOVE STORY, which I've actually never watched.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
I've got a large Science fiction collection, so finding material for next month will not be a problem. What will be a problem will be finding something in that category that I haven't watched. I guess I'll be able to watch my 50 Sci-fi and Nightmare Worlds Collections. There is enough there that I haven't included in the Horror challenges over the years. I have a lot less Romantic comedies and romance movies and very little involving all black casts. That's where Netflix will come in handy.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Michael, that book you mentioned sounds interesting. I'll have to look for it. I enjoy bad movies for the sheer entertainment value.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I have a handful of romance movies. Basically it's going to be stuff that i'm revisiting like Amelie, Lost in Translation, The Apartment and I'll go through some of the Marilyn Monroe films as well. As far as Black History Month, I'm going to watch all seasons of the Cosby Show up until annoying Olivia enters. I'm also going to try and finally watch "Do the Right Thing" for the first time. I'm going to go through Hulu and Netflix and see what I can find. I might try and wacth some Blaxploitation films. Maybe some Pam Grier stuff Here is TCM "Love/Romance movies" schedule Feb1st- Four Daughters Feb 2nd- Casablanca Feb 8th- Berkeley Square Feb 9th- Three Coins in a Fountain Feb 11th- Love Affair Feb 12th- Enchanted Cottage kitty Foyle Feb 14th- Sandpiper Garden of Allah A Star is Born Portrait of Jennie Feb 17th- Far From the Madding Crowd Feb 19th- A Farewell to Arms Feb 25th- The Way We Were Feb 26th- Dodsworth Feb 27th- Wuthering Heights Lydia That Hamilton woman Feb 28th- Saraband for Dead Lovers

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Shall We Dance (2004) :star::star::star::star: My rating has gone up for this one over the last time I watched it. As I'm getting older I find these movies more enjoyable. A corporate lawyer (Richard Gere) unhappy with his daily boring routine spies a young woman(Jennifer Lopez) sitting in the window of a dance studio. He becomes curious and ends up enrolling in beginners dance classes. He becomes obsessed with his new vocation which he manages to keep from his family. His wife becomes suspicious that he is having an affair. She hires a P.I who discovers what her husband is really doing at night when late coming home from work. I love ballroom dancing so this was an easy movie to love. Both Richard Gere and Susan Sarandon who plays the wife, were a delight here and well matched. Jennifer Lopez was also fine here though she seemed self-absorbed at times. The one who stole the show for me was Stanley Tucci who plays Link a lawyer who also has a secret life, that of a ballroom dancer. The rest of the cast were also a delight. I haven't seen the original Japanese film that came out in the 90's. I understand that this remake pales in comparison. For me though I found it quite enjoyable and pleased to have it in my library.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Shall We Dance is a movie I wouldn't mind seeng. I just don't like Jennifer Lopez. The only thing I don't mind watching with her in it is "Out of Sight" I watched two Valentine episodes of the Office. Both are great. But the Blood Drive episode is the best. If you have Epix, they are showing the original "My Bloody Valentine" I haven't seen it before And I really want to check it out during this time. For my first Valentine movie, I might start off with Drew Barrymore's Never Been Kissed.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
I agree with you about Jennifer Lopez. I'm not a fan but she wasn't too obnoxious in Shall We Dance. Unfortunately I don't get Epix. I love Drew Barrymore and I've never seen Never Been Kissed so I'll have to look for it. My next one will be Crash for part of the Black challenge.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Before I could get to Never Been Kissed, I had to get some stuff watched on my DVR to free up some space. So I watched This Means War (2012) McG is soon becoming the next Michael Bay. McG loves having nonsense violence in all his movies. The only thing I found pleasing to this movie was how sexy and gorgeous Reese Witherspoon looks. I liked the fighting between Pine and Hardy only when they were infiltrating each others dates. Don't forget, Groundhog Day is tomorrow. Get out your DVD/Bluray of Groundhog Day.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Missing Groundhog Day in my collection. I'll have to see if it's on Netflix. Crash (2004) :star::star::star: I don't really have too much to say about this movie other than the fact it gets a pass from me because of the stellar acting by most of the cast. I found the movie superficial, depressing and shameful for the emotion that it wrings out of people. It seems like we are suppose to forgive people for their bad behaviour because they either saw the light or ended up performing a good deed. Bah!

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
My computer died so I had to rush a buy a new one for this Challenge. :) THIS MEANS WAR was one of the worst films I saw from the year it was released. Reese used to be my favorite actresses but like so many great ones, she got "famous" and started to produce crap for mainstream people. I hope these bombs keep piling up so that she will return to what she can really do.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Michael Elliott said:
My computer died so I had to rush a buy a new one for this Challenge. :) THIS MEANS WAR was one of the worst films I saw from the year it was released. Reese used to be my favorite actresses but like so many great ones, she got "famous" and started to produce crap for mainstream people. I hope these bombs keep piling up so that she will return to what she can really do.
I'll be watching my favorite guilty pleasure of Reese's for this challenge and that's Cruel Intensions I'm almost positive that Groundhog Day is available to stream on Netflix.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
There's a theater in Columbus, OH that shows GROUNDHOGS DAY for 24 straight hours and if you stay the entire time you get a year's worth of tickets. I've never really checked out all the "rules" but as much as I go to the movies I'd probably try it if it was happening around my area. I'm not sure if you have to stay awake the entire time or what but if you did see a lot of movies it would certainly be worth a shot.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Anastasia (1956) :star::star::star::star: Well acted film about a young woman who is coached by a group of Russian exiles led by General Bounine, into posing as the Grand Duchess Anastasia, who many thought had died during the Russian revolution. I guess the big question here is, is she or isn't she? The story played more like a historical drama than a romance but I suppose it could be included in that category as well. I saw this last as a child so there were many details I had forgotten. Ingrid Bergman seemed too old for the part but they were able to downplay that quite well. She looks as lovely as ever. Yul Brynner was excellent in the Henry Higgins type role. Helen Hayes was also excellent as the Dowager Empress. There didn't appear to be much story here though and seemed more suited for the stage then for film. Still an enjoyable watch.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
As in other cases, ratings out of four, bold is a new viewing. This one comes from the before mentioned book. Fantasies (1981) :star::half: This was originally shot in 1973 when Bo Derek, then going by her original name, was 16-years-old and involved with director, writer and cinematographer John Derek. Needless to say, due to the subject matter this film wasn't released until 1981 after Bo had become a sex symbol with 10. In the film, she plays a young girl who begins to wonder about her changing body as well as her growing feelings for her older step brother (Peter Hooten). That's pretty much the story of this pretty bland romantic-drama that manages to be quite boring throughout the so-called controversial subject matter. It needs to be said that the young Derek has several nude scenes here, which is why the film couldn't find an original release and it's also going to be a reason why most people are going to want to stay away from this thing. I'll let one's own moral stance on the nudity decide whether they want to go any further with the film. The entire film has an extremely cheap feel to it and I really do have to wonder what John Derek was trying to do. I'm sure it was show off his young lover but it looks like he would have hired someone else to do the writing because his screenplay is quite horrid, is all over the place and it never really makes much sense. The love story is handled in a tender way but it just never comes to life. The entire subplot dealing with the hotel on the island is just bland. The film has some memorable Greek locations but these here aren't enough to make the thing worth sitting through. Hooten offers up a downright awful performance and the supporting cast isn't much better. Bo actually isn't too bad here and I'd argue that the performance here is much better than the stuff from her popular period. The film itself is pretty bad and not worth viewing except for those who want to see a young Bo. Or, if you want to see a scene where her grandfather pulls her shirt up to see how she's growing. Yeah, it's like that. Our Gang: The Little Ranger (1938) :star::star::star: Party Fever (1938) :star::star::half: Aladdin's Lantern (1938) :star::star:

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
As an annual tradition on Groundhog Day, I watched Groundhog Day (bluray) One of my favorite Harold Ramis comedies from the 90's Those that want an account of how many days Bill Murray actually spends reliving Feb 2nd can read this

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm not sure how much divorce fits into Valentine's Day but..... The second film I wasn't watching to count it here but it turned out to have a little love story. Kramer vs. Kramer (1979) :star::star::star::star: A workaholic father (Dustin Hoffman) has the rug pulled out from under him when his wife (Meryl Streep) informs him that she's leaving and not taking their 7-year-old son (Justin Henry) with her. KRAMER VS. KRAMER ended up winning five Oscars including Picture, Director, Screenplay as well as awards for both Hoffman and Streep and it's pretty hard to argue and say they didn't deserve it. I've always been very fond of this movie for its frankness on the subject and because of the terrific performances but watching it for the first time since having my own son it really gives one a better appreciation of the material. I say this because the first hour of the film is pretty much a fun movie about a father trying to handle both work as well as both sides of the family. I thought Hoffman was most effective because the screenplay let the character be something real and not just one of those fake characters that often turn up in lesser quality movies. The character is far from flawless as we see his many faults but the entire time you feel as if you're watching something real. The relationship between the father and son has some down moments but it's all just so realistic. I thought the final thirty-minutes once the Streep characters enters the picture again were incredibly depressing and this here is something that really hit home now that I'm older. What makes the film so memorable are the performances as Hoffman has never gotten the credit he deserves even though he has two Oscars. It seems he's often overlooked by DeNiro, Pacino, Nicholson and the other heavy hitters of this terrific group but Hoffman has always been so great in so many different type of roles. I thought the mental stress of the situation is what he really nailed and this is perfectly scene in the first morning that he takes over the role of mommy. Streep is also incredibly powerful and it's easy to see at this early stage of her career that she was something special. Hoffman and Streep are expected to be great but what's so special is how well Henry does as the child. Howard Duff, George Coe, Jane Alexander and JoBeth Williams are also extremely good in their parts. KRAMER VS. KRAMER is certainly one of the last powerhouse movies of the decade and it's also one of the best. The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight (1971) :star::star: Weak adaptation of the Jimmy Breslin novel (adapted by Waldo Salt) about a Mafia family (led by Jerry Orbach) who try to take out a rival crime boss but every time they get close to killing him something goes wrong. I haven't read the novel that this film is based on but I've heard it's actually quite funny. With that said, clearly something didn't come over from the page to the screen and I think a lot of the blame has to go to director James Goldstone. The entire movie has such a serious tone that you're often having to remind yourself that you're watching a comedy because the film just needs to loosen up and let the cast do their job. For the life of me I couldn't understand why the comic moments weren't handled better and there are several scenes that should have been so much funnier. One example is when a couple guys are chasing a man they want to kill but they get to some dirty water and they don't want to mess up their expensive shoes. Flat. Another sequence happens when we learn that Mafia leaders send their wives out to start the car each morning just in case there's a bomb. Flat. The strange thing is that a love story breaks out between Orbach's daughter (Leigh Taylor- Young) and a guy named Mario (Robert DeNiro). This love story is actually the best thing about the film and I wondered if perhaps the two actors were so good that they just kept building up more scenes around them. Considering how far DeNiro's name is in the credits and the fact that he's got perhaps the biggest role tells you something. Both of them are quite good together and it's fun seeing a young DeNiro looking exactly like he did a few years later in MEAN STREETS only here he's nice. Orbach is good in his role as is Jo Van Fleet, Burt Young and Herve Villechaize who would appear in THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN in a couple years. THE GANG THAT COULDN'T SHOOT STRAIGHT is certainly a complete misfire in terms of a comedy but fans of DeNiro might want to check it out. It's also worth noting that his role was originally going to be played by Al Pacino but he had to back-out once Paramount agreed to let him have the part of Michael in THE GODFATHER.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Four Daughters (1938) (tcm) :star::star::star::star: Romantic drama about a musician and his fours daughters and the men in their lives. This was a very entertaining movie which was nominated for best picture and four other nominations at that time. John Garfield was outstanding as was expected, and it's easy to see how this role cemented his reputation as a rising star. It's too bad he died at a young age. Who knows what he would be able to accomplish in his later years. Priscilla Lane the most famous of the Lane sisters also gave a good performance here but I imagine her career didn't develop as she wished and she ended retiring at an early age. The rest of the cast was good but I found Claude Rains almost unrecognizable in his small role. Because of this movies success, it spun off some sequels none of which I've seen but will be on the look out for them. 04 Groundhog Day (1993) (movie central) :star::star::star::star::half: Not too much to say other than it never gets old watching this. Great movie to watch on this day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks