Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Wol

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   leeha

leeha

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted January 27 2013 - 11:45 AM

Can my sony bd send wol to my buffalo nas? How?

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted January 27 2013 - 04:48 PM

???

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,981 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted January 28 2013 - 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by leeha 

Can my sony bd send wol to my buffalo nas?
How?

From what I know of wol (wake on LAN), which isn't much, many newer models of Blu-ray player (for Sony, it's 2012 and newer) can receive wol, but nothing that I have read indicates they can send wol.  That appears to be a feature that is relegated to the computer/hardware realm.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#4 of 7 ONLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,461 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted January 28 2013 - 03:04 AM

Show you how out of the loop I am on woL... I thought it was more for business. Having the internet wake up your computer is great. But...how many of us, at home, turn off the internet? Unless there is a NAS with built-in sleep mode??? (does that exist?) and the periphery devices wake it up? Edit: I did find posts on various other forums discussing woL on NAS(go figure) around April '12. All of them say a computer must initiate wake-up. Wonder if that, by default, means a Roku/Netgear TV etc can act as the computer???? My NAS stays on, same with the router(NAS is USB on the router as I use the built-in Netgear protocals...) But I only use it for music and very few pictures. I know how to do movies on it(and have the DLNA devices to run them)...I just don't care for what all I lose with a ripped movie.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,216 posts

Posted January 28 2013 - 04:04 AM

I thought the WOL feature started sleeping disks re-spinning, I didn't think it actually turned on the NAS. I also thought the feature was embedded in the NAS, the network device requesting the NAS service doesn't have to do anything special (e.g., no protocol/API). (I'm typing this from memory; didn't bother to look anything up.)

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   leeha

leeha

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted January 29 2013 - 11:30 AM

Tanks. To explain my problem: My buffalo nas has a auto Power setting. It is then turned off after a specified time. I would like The nas to wake up when i try to open files on it, from my sony bd player.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,216 posts

Posted January 29 2013 - 07:30 PM

You didn't say which device you had, but according to their web site they all have disk stand-by mode, and that will definitely wake-up on an access request. I'm guessing the power port is used for synchronization to a UPS, for auto power-down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users