Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Wol

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 leeha

leeha

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted January 27 2013 - 11:45 AM

Can my sony bd send wol to my buffalo nas? How?

#2 of 7 Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted January 27 2013 - 04:48 PM

???

#3 of 7 Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,803 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted January 28 2013 - 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by leeha 

Can my sony bd send wol to my buffalo nas?
How?

From what I know of wol (wake on LAN), which isn't much, many newer models of Blu-ray player (for Sony, it's 2012 and newer) can receive wol, but nothing that I have read indicates they can send wol.  That appears to be a feature that is relegated to the computer/hardware realm.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#4 of 7 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,900 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted January 28 2013 - 03:04 AM

Show you how out of the loop I am on woL... I thought it was more for business. Having the internet wake up your computer is great. But...how many of us, at home, turn off the internet? Unless there is a NAS with built-in sleep mode??? (does that exist?) and the periphery devices wake it up? Edit: I did find posts on various other forums discussing woL on NAS(go figure) around April '12. All of them say a computer must initiate wake-up. Wonder if that, by default, means a Roku/Netgear TV etc can act as the computer???? My NAS stays on, same with the router(NAS is USB on the router as I use the built-in Netgear protocals...) But I only use it for music and very few pictures. I know how to do movies on it(and have the DLNA devices to run them)...I just don't care for what all I lose with a ripped movie.

#5 of 7 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,135 posts

Posted January 28 2013 - 04:04 AM

I thought the WOL feature started sleeping disks re-spinning, I didn't think it actually turned on the NAS. I also thought the feature was embedded in the NAS, the network device requesting the NAS service doesn't have to do anything special (e.g., no protocol/API). (I'm typing this from memory; didn't bother to look anything up.)

#6 of 7 leeha

leeha

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted January 29 2013 - 11:30 AM

Tanks. To explain my problem: My buffalo nas has a auto Power setting. It is then turned off after a specified time. I would like The nas to wake up when i try to open files on it, from my sony bd player.

#7 of 7 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,135 posts

Posted January 29 2013 - 07:30 PM

You didn't say which device you had, but according to their web site they all have disk stand-by mode, and that will definitely wake-up on an access request. I'm guessing the power port is used for synchronization to a UPS, for auto power-down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users