Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Calibrating speaker levels - Receiver's test tones or disc?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted January 27 2013 - 07:47 AM

Do you guys think it's better to use the receiver's test tones, or an audio calibration disc? Because I've been reading conflicting things online about which is better. Or does it depend on the receiver? Another thing I read, which is new to me, the "expert" said to turn off your sub before calibrating the speakers. The only disc I have that calibrates audio is the old "Sound and Vision" Home Theater Tune Up disc. It has tests for Dolby Digital and DTS.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts

Posted January 27 2013 - 04:53 PM

Someone out there has to have an opinion. If not, can you state which method you use to set your speaker decibel levels? Yes, I have a decibel meter. Thanks.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,732 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted January 27 2013 - 11:16 PM

I just use the tones generated from my receiver. I can't imagine why it would make a difference unless a calibration disc would have certain frequencies that are better for setting volume levels, though I've never heard that they did. I do have a couple of discs but I only use them for Video. Next time maybe I'll them a try. But even if the tones on a disc are a bit better my guess is you would have to have very high end equipment to take advantage of that difference. I do remember hearing something a long time ago that if you're using the dvd players bass management (for dvd-a/sacd) you should put a disc in the player when setting speaker volumes in the players setup menu. But I don't remember where I heard/read that. I also have no idea why you would need to turn the sub off when calibrating the other speakers. Maybe setting the speakers to Large in the setup menu has some small effect on things. But again, we're getting real picky here. Add that to the fact that after calibration most of us re-adjust the center, surrounds and/or subwoofer to suit or own taste make all of this seem a little less important.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted January 28 2013 - 12:22 AM

I used the Audyssey calibrations for my setup, and double checked with spl meter. The Audyssey settings were actually spot on, except I set the center channel a couple of dB higher. I also changed the speakers from large to small, though Onkyo uses different terminology. Good luck.
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,450 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted January 28 2013 - 04:29 AM

I stayed out of this cause I'm not sure how much "calibration" you can achieve with your present AVR. I also thought you were buying a new(er) AVR soon which renders what your current one does a moot point. But I use this website...(everything you need to know is there for the reading) http://www.audiocheck.net/

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   BrennanOSD

BrennanOSD

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted January 28 2013 - 11:28 AM

This is probably why most of the newer/higher end receivers have auto calibration. As far as your situation goes, I'd recommend calling the manufacturer's tech support and get their advice. Wish I could help you out more. - Brennan, Outdoor Speaker Depot

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,450 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted January 28 2013 - 11:30 AM

This is probably why most of the newer/higher end receivers have auto calibration. As far as your situation goes, I'd recommend calling the manufacturer's tech support and get their advice. Wish I could help you out more. - Brennan, Outdoor Speaker Depot

Tech support for a JVC AVR? When did JVC quit making home audio? A decade ago?

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts

Posted January 28 2013 - 11:48 AM

I stayed out of this cause I'm not sure how much "calibration" you can achieve with your present AVR. I also thought you were buying a new(er) AVR soon which renders what your current one does a moot point.

No. I decided to upgrade my speakers first. This JVC receiver is just for our family room/TV setup. It decodes DD and DTS, so it's not an antique. I run optical digital from Blu-ray player to receiver for the audio, and HDMI from player to TV for video. I got the speaker levels set last night, so all is well. I checked it both ways and the results were almost identical.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,732 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted January 28 2013 - 12:23 PM

No. I decided to upgrade my speakers first. This JVC receiver is just for our family room/TV setup. It decodes DD and DTS, so it's not an antique. I run optical digital from Blu-ray player to receiver for the audio, and HDMI from player to TV for video. I got the speaker levels set last night, so all is well. I checked it both ways and the results were almost identical.

That's usually the case with volumes and distances from what I've read over the years. I usually use the auto setup, if it has one, double check the settings, then tweak things a bit to my liking. I guess I don't hear quite as well out of my right ear since I alway seem to bump up the Fr/Rt speaker a db or two. My setup disc are almost exclusivily used for video setup. I downloaded the manual for the JVC and it looks like a pretty good receiver for it's day. Too bad they left the market.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users