What's new

A Smartphone So Tempting That Even Its Thief Was Robbed (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
All that story proves is that thieves are stupid. That is why they are thieves. It's a phone. It doesn't do anything more or less than an Android phone. Why people want to continue to pay a premium for a common commodity is beyond me. Obviously, people who own Android phones are technically savvy enough to be aware that new phone, new features = old phone is obsolete = its worthless, no matter how shiny the case is. Edit: I changed that first sentence, since there is no evidence that the guy was an APPLE fanboy, just plenty of evidence that he was a moron.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was hoping for a Solomonic ending to the tale: unable to determine the true owner, the officer would would prepare to shoot it in half. The girl would protest, the boy wouldn't, and justice would be served :)
Edwin-S said:
All that story proves is that thieves are stupid. That is why they are thieves. It's a phone. It doesn't do anything more or less than an Android phone. Why people want to continue to pay a premium for a common commodity is beyond me.
i thought thieves sold to people who vigorously avoided the "premium" of buying retail???

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Edwin-S
It's a phone. It doesn't do anything more or less than an Android phone.
One of thousands of examples on how wrong you are:
http://www.algoriddim.com/djay-iphone
When Android phones start running Djay, please call me.
Also, you are wrong about it being "a phone" - it is a miniature computer that makes phone calls among many other functions. This is the mistake Clay Christensen, "The Innovators Dilemma" guy made -- he thought the iPhone would fail because he thought of it as a fancy phone, instead of a computer.
See: http://daringfireball.net/2012/07/iphone_disruption_five_years_in
Lastly you are wrong about Android users ignoring old phones because they are "obsolete" -- they are ignoring them because old Android phones are obsolete hunks of junk. On the other hand I still use my original 5.6 year old 2007 iPhone on a daily basis as the household Home Theater remote. Even the original battery still works fine... Try that trick with a G1 phone or some other Android from that era...

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Ted Todorov said:
Lastly you are wrong about Android users ignoring old phones because they are "obsolete" -- they are ignoring them because old Android phones are obsolete hunks of junk.  On the other hand I still use my original 5.6 year old 2007 iPhone on a daily basis as the household Home Theater remote.
You're wrong. I use my several year old LG Android phone as a home theater remote all the time.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by RobertR
You're wrong. I use my several year old LG Android phone as a home theater remote all the time.
I'm guessing that "several years old" is not anywhere near 2007.
But in any case I'd actually love to hear/learn about Android based remote controls -- can you tell us more - what app(s) do you use, what are you controlling with it, etc.
Other than downloading updated versions of the 6 or so remote apps that I have/use I haven't done research on the latest and greatest in iOS apps in the last couple of years -- it is probably time to revisit the topic.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Ted Todorov said:
in any case I'd actually love to hear/learn about Android based remote controls -- can you tell us more - what app(s) do you use, what are you controlling with it, etc.
Goldworm Remote gives me complete control over my HTPC--mouse, keyboard, etc. I also have apps for Media Player Classic, VLC, and XBMC. Apps such as Irule are also available for Android. The days when people would think only in terms of the Iphone for such uses are LONG gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks