What's new

The Cisco Kid (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I've heard about this show all my life from my parents and just now found it on Netflix. I expected semi-decent quality but these are awful, something I would expect on a low budget TV station. Seems like a great show. Are the DVD releases any better? I would assume not? I saw where it looks like this is a ZIV production. Does anyone know if the original film elements still exist? I would love to see this in semi-pristine shape!!!

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Probably used the same Low-Quality Prints that Mill Creek used for their "Shovelware" Sets.. I believe it is a ZIV Show.

S

silverking

Definitely a ZIV show from the very early 50's. Unfortunately there aren't any semi-pristine prints. Cisco was one ,if not the first TV shows shot in colour. However this was not because of any great foresight by the producers. According to Troy Melton who worked on the series they found they were able to obtain colour film stock cheaper than 35mm. The advantage was that it also let in more light which enabled them to shoot quicker.The Cisco's were shot in two days often utilising the same cast over 3 episodes in different roles, so speed was the main factor. They had no colour co-ordinater & no colour correction was done at the time of processing as they assumed the series would only be seen in black & white. This is why when watched today you have so many mismatched & washy colours.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
silverking said:
Definitely a ZIV show from the very early 50's. Unfortunately there aren't any semi-pristine prints. Cisco was one ,if not the first TV shows shot in colour. However this was not because of any great foresight by the producers. According to Troy Melton who worked on the series they found they were able to obtain colour film stock cheaper than 35mm. The advantage was that it also let in more light which enabled them to shoot quicker.The Cisco's were shot in two days often utilising the same cast over 3 episodes in different roles, so speed was the main factor. They had no colour co-ordinater & no colour correction was done at the time of processing as they assumed the series would only be seen in black & white. This is why when watched today you have so many mismatched & washy colours.
It definitely shows. :(

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I don't know if any of you have heard about what I do when watching a low-quality video so I'll mention it. Whenever I realize the picture quality is low is of low quality I'll switch to my TV's Small Screen Mode, which joking call the "Mill Creek Mode" (If you've bought any of their "Shovelware" Sets and watch those programs you know what I'm talking about). I reduce the size of the screen, which reduces the quality of the pixels, and watch away. :)

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Regulus said:
I don't know if any of you have heard about what I do when watching a low-quality video so I'll mention it. Whenever I realize the picture quality is low is of low quality I'll switch to my TV's Small Screen Mode, which joking call the "Mill Creek Mode" (If you've bought any of their "Shovelware" Sets and watch those programs you know what I'm talking about). I reduce the size of the screen, which reduces the quality of the pixels, and watch away. :)
I considered actually switching it into black and white since that's obviously how my parents would have watched it. The colors are pretty pale anyway like it was colorized in the 80's (I know it was actually filmed in color but still) and most westerns of that era were black and white anyway.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
MPI released 4 volumes of "The Cisco Kid" a few years back. The color photography on some of the later seasons looks a little better than the earlier season public domain episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks