What's new

Netflix's House of Cards Season 1 (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Feb 1st Netflix will release all episodes of House of Cards of season 1. Production of season 2 will start shooting in the spring. With Netflix releasing all season 1 episodes at the same time, there can be some good marathon watching.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I'm going to start watching this on Wednesday. I'm hoping to get a bunch of episodes in this day. They say the first episode is available to everyone. (just find who has it available)

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I've only gotten a chance to watch the first two so far, but I have to agree with mattCR's sentiments at this point.

Hakan Powers

Stunt Coordinator
Just finished Season 1.. and I must say I really enjoyed it. Kevin Spacey is great (the rest of the cast is also good but he shines) A little bit of The West Wing political intrigue but with a *much* darker tone. I like it. Looking forward to season 2, anyone know when that'll be around?

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Is there any word on when the new HOUSE OF CARDS will be released on DVD or Blu-Ray? Make that when or if ...

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
SOB what an ending. To my knowledge, I don't think there will ever be a DVD or BD issued. I think Netflix has designed this as a streaming exclusive to market their brand. I'd be shocked if they ever came out with to own copies. I have no idea where next season could/will go.. it's definitely a way to end a season with a TON of open threads and some significant cliffhanger(s)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by mattCR
To my knowledge, I don't think there will ever be a DVD or BD issued. I think Netflix has designed this as a streaming exclusive to market their brand. I'd be shocked if they ever came out with to own copies.
I'm curious how they go about this, especially since they're adding more and more shows to their lineup. While it would make sense to keep it exclusive to reel in subscribers, there may be some profitability down the road to make it available by other means. Perhaps not a physical disc (those will be obsolete eventually anyway), but allow people to purchase a download of just the episodes they want. Or some type of a la carte streaming. If you think about it, it wouldn't be all that different from HBO making their shows available on disc at a later date (though it seems HBO produces their own media).

Joe_H

Screenwriter
ScottH said:
I'm curious how they go about this, especially since they're adding more and more shows to their lineup.  While it would make sense to keep it exclusive to reel in subscribers, there may be some profitability down the road to make it available by other means.  Perhaps not a physical disc (those will be obsolete eventually anyway), but allow people to purchase a download of just the episodes they want.  Or some type of a la carte streaming.  If you think about it, it wouldn't be all that different from HBO making their shows available on disc at a later date (though it seems HBO produces their own media).
I don't think it'll ever be available for purchase, but maybe they'll have an extremely limited run put out for their own customers who still use the disc-based service and don't have good enough internet yet to get it via streaming.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I still haven't started watching this...I planned to, but someone just told me that Kevin Spacey talks to the audience on occasion. UGH! That is enough for me to not want to watch it. The person who told me only saw the first two episodes, so please tell me it stops after that!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by ScottH
I still haven't started watching this...I planned to, but someone just told me that Kevin Spacey talks to the audience on occasion. UGH! That is enough for me to not want to watch it. The person who told me only saw the first two episodes, so please tell me it stops after that!
No. Actually, it's probably the best parts. YMMV, but the way it's done works. I've seen it done where it's terrible, but in this show it really moves things along, it would be hard to understand without

Joe_H

Screenwriter
mattCR said:
YMMV, but the way it's done works.  I've seen it done where it's terrible, but in this show it really moves things along, it would be hard to understand without
Agreed. I think it's Spacey himself that carries those scenes so well, too. He pulls off the switch from mid-conversation to snide remarks with the audience perfectly, and I'm not sure a lesser actor could have done it nearly as well.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Thanks guys. I guess I'll still give it a try but it definitely went from "must see" for me to "eventually I'll catch it".

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by ScottH
Thanks guys. I guess I'll still give it a try but it definitely went from "must see" for me to "eventually I'll catch it".
I think you should watch the first episode to see how this is used. I watched the first one last night and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to watching the rest.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'd agree with that. While it talks to the camera, it's not really talking to -you- as much as it is a character espousing his inner monologue.. it's unique. I think in a lesser actors hands it could have been bad, but Damn Spacey sells it, and there are scenes later in the season, especially in the oval office, where you are just WAITING to get his take on what's really happening

Brian-A

Agent
Joe_H said:
Agreed. I think it's Spacey himself that carries those scenes so well, too. He pulls off the switch from mid-conversation to snide remarks with the audience perfectly, and I'm not sure a lesser actor could have done it nearly as well.
I love it when he does not even say anything, but rather just gives a sidelong look to the audience, as if we are in on a private joke with him.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Johnny Angell said:
Is it true that the opening scene consists of Spacy...
Yes, but...
It's sort of a mercy killing, but it manipulates a situation as well. It's not shown, it happens right out of the camera's line of sight, implied by sound. Spacey speaks directly to the viewer as it happens, as well.
I thought it was a strange choice to start off the show and it did feel a little tonally mismatched from the rest of the episode.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I've realized one of the downfalls of this format for this show. A relative told me that they were watching episode 5 tonight and "it's getting good" and I had to backtrack through it because it's now been a while since I gulped down the whole season. I guess that is the one benefit of a staggered release, it gives people a lot more time to talk about it.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by mattCR
I've realized one of the downfalls of this format for this show. A relative told me that they were watching episode 5 tonight and "it's getting good" and I had to backtrack through it because it's now been a while since I gulped down the whole season.
I guess that is the one benefit of a staggered release, it gives people a lot more time to talk about it.
I've thought about that as well and decided that is the ONLY good thing about watching a TV series week to week. Love me some marathon TV!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks