What's new

how can i connect digital optical cord to my receiver? (1 Viewer)

Camegger

Auditioning
Real Name
Camrin
I'm trying to hook my ps3 up to my Philips HTS 3306/F7 C surround sound receiver through a digital optical cable. My problem is on the back of my receiver where it says digital audio input it has a orange RCA lookin port. I called to Radio Shack both said the same thing which was that they do not know why it has that and that there is no adapter made for that. How do I hook up so I can get DTS+ 5.1?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Digital audio can be transmitted over copper wire as well as over fiber optic. Your Phillips has only the coax version with the RCA connector. (What you have isn't really a surround sound receiver. It is a "home-theater-in-a-box" system with a built-in Blu Ray player and proprietary speakers. Not a bad entry level choice, but HTiB systems are always short on inputs and features, which is one reason that I advise against them.) Most full AV receivers have at least a couple of digital optical inputs and at least one digital coax input.
I called to Radio Shack both said the same thing which was that they do not know why it has that and that there is no adapter made for that.
Gee, imagine that, the guys at Radio Shack having no idea what they're talking about. :D Digital Fiber Optic (Toslink) output to Digital Coax input adapter. $15 from Amazon.com. Regards, Joe

Camegger

Auditioning
Real Name
Camrin
So I figured out it's a digital coaxial port and my PS3 has the toslink port for a fiber optical cable...so my question I guess turns to can I run my PS3 through my TV via hdmi...and my TV through the receiver via digital coaxial cable and will I still get the same DTS+ 5.1 QUALITY?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
so my question I guess turns to can I run my PS3 through my TV via hdmi...and my TV through the receiver via digital coaxial cable and will I still get the same DTS+ 5.1 QUALITY?
Almost certainly not. 99% of TVs out there will NOT pass 5.1 or higher digital audio from connected sources via the digital audio output, and I don't think any current models do. They down convert that to digital 2.0 stereo. The digital output is there to send 5.1 audio decoded by the TV's internal tuner only. Regards, Joe

Camegger

Auditioning
Real Name
Camrin
schan1269 said:
Your PS3 needs to go straight to the HTiB for 5.1. The bigger question is if the HTiB can digest DTS on the digital coax.
How do I find that out??? That seems to be the last piece if the puzzle thanks to all you guys setting me straight...I really appreciate it

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I have to admit I'm no gamer and don't own a PS3, Xbox or anything else. But are there a lot of games that use DTS? Otherwise this shouldn't be an issue. (The Phillips has a built-in Blu Ray player, so there is no reason to use the PS3 for that.) In any case, the Phillips does have a DTS MA decoder for BD playback (as per the manual), and I'd be surprised if it didn't also work for the digital coax input. (Do DTS games have to have a Dolby Digital track like DVD and Blu Ray movies?) Regards, Joe

Camegger

Auditioning
Real Name
Camrin
Yes the games I buy do lol. I have a specific one "uncharted: drakes deception" that is supposed to have amazing DTS. I've been going nuts trying to figure out how to get it set up. (I'm a noob to all this audio stuff, just starting to learning about DTS and LPCM and bitstream and I'm really excited about it all and really like learn about it all. It's like a whole new world of sound and I just have to figure out how to get it into my living room) thanks a lot for the link to Amazon btw

Camegger

Auditioning
Real Name
Camrin
Joseph DeMartino said:
 (Do DTS games have to have a Dolby Digital track like DVD and Blu Ray movies?)
Sorry I misread this part. Not all games are required to. But the game I own right now is supposed to have a DD track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks