What's new

replacing 5 year old Optoma HD8000 need some direction (1 Viewer)

nick0814

Agent
Real Name
Nick Gootee
5 years ago I bought a projector because of how expensive large flat screen TV's were and I've been very happy with my decision. But its now time to replace it. I'm faced with do I buy a 70" LCD and loose 20" of screen size but pick up some daytime visibility or spend about the same amount of money on a newer projector with more lumens and higher contrast ratio than my old one. If so what would you recommend going with? My current projector was 1300 ansi lumens with a 10,000 to 1 contrast ratio.

nick0814

Agent
Real Name
Nick Gootee
thanks, that's what I was thinking as well. also I figured install would be easier since my HDMI cable and power are already there. I'd have to move both to the opposite wall to hang a TV. what do you need to know to point me in the right direction for a new projector?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your throw(lens to wall). Drop from the ceiling(unless you spend enough to get good lens shift). Gain of your present screen and its size....(ratio wouldn't hurt to know either...)

nick0814

Agent
Real Name
Nick Gootee
ok I'll get all that tonight when I get home.. the throw will be around 12-14' drop from the ceiling isn't much maybe 8" I can measure the screen but its about 90" how do I find out the gain and ratio?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
IF you know what your screen is (brand series) the gain can be looked up. The ratio you can measure and figure out if it is 16:9 or 2.4:1.

nick0814

Agent
Real Name
Nick Gootee
ok I'll look at it tonight and see. it is 16:9 sorry wasn't thinking about that ratio..

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
most PJs can operate on a 8 foot screen at around 14 feet. You will have lots of options. Fun stuff!!

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
LCOS prices depend on if you have issues with buying used or refurbs. I spent $900 on a HD550 with a brand new JVC lamp, $1100 on an RS1X with two OEM lamps and a Chief ceiling mount, both projectors flawless and going strong. The RS1 might be a little dim for the OP's needs. RS40 can be found for $1600-1800. Also seen HD250s for $1600, they have a red push so Im not a fan of that model. Sony SXRD doesnt seem to drop on the used market as much, go figure as theyre not any better than the JVC LCOS models.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Yes, the used market can allow for the OP to easily get into the $1500 range. I have been playing with a JVC RS-20 over the past week and love the image.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Buying a used projector is VERY risky though. Nick, what is your budget for projector? Screen size is 90" diagonal, 16:9?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My JVC is a floor sample that had, at least, 1800 hours on it before I got it. Used projectors are like buying everything else. Make sure it works before you let go of your cash.

nick0814

Agent
Real Name
Nick Gootee
budget? I'd like to stay under a thousand but I'd go 1400-1800 if really necessary. I mean I was happy with my HD8000 just would like something a tad brighter for very sunny days. I put limo tint on the window in the room and blinds on the french doors in the next room. Night time I really couldn't have asked for a better picture. I've been looking at some epson's like the powerlite 3020 and panasonic pt-ar100u and a few optomas. I'm assuming if I stay with a 1920x1080 get at least 10,000:1 ratio and a brightness 2000 - 3000 lumens I'll be very happy since it would match my previous unit and be substantially brighter with the same other specs??? also if I decided to get mine fixed (which I'll probably do regardless) any suggestions where to call or send it?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The issue here, you have tons of options. Do you want LCD or DLP? Are you willing to pony up "about the same money" on a 1-2 year old used JVC or Sony? I plugged your dimensions into the calculator and came up with 90 projectors between $1200 and $2500. And the major point being...even "the worst" projector is going to be light years ahead of the one you have.

nick0814

Agent
Real Name
Nick Gootee
ok I've been doing some research and I'm down to about 3 projectors and I need some help because I'm not sure if I really need to spend the extra money. Here are the three I'm looking at, all input is appreciated!! 1. Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 2. Panasonic PT-AR100U 3. Panasonic PT-AE7000U the first two are pretty much same price, the 3rd is almost twice as much but its also got 6x the contrast ratio... please help!??

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks