What's new

Thinking about buying a 3d projector....questions abound (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Riley Morgan
I am decently tech savvy, buying a home theater setup soon, and kind of feel it might be worth it to upgrade to a projector setup. I have a 40'' 1080p HDTV atm, it is pretty great but I can't help but imagine the true theater setup I might have with a projector. I don't have any specifications on the room right now...just questions. I can tell you that it's small....maybe 10 feet from front to back? Would that drastically effect my viewing range? I might possibly be moving later this year to a large house so I would have a much bigger setup area there. I'm wondering how much I would need for a good, 3D ready projector with 720P or 1080P. Used or refurbished is fine with me as well. I'd like to be able to view 3D content such as 3D blu-rays, and games optimized for 3D. After my cinema experiences I'm partial to DLP....but I'll defer to better judgement on these matters. I'd be willing to spend something around $500 I believe....but I would love to be able to go cheaper. I don't know a whole lot about projectors, the difference between 3d capable and 3d ready, and the different resolutions. I do understand that although a projector might state it does 720P, if the native resolution is lower than that then it wouldn't be TRUE 720P. Something along those lines. I could really use some advice, thanks for any help!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The cheapest 1080p 3D projector I know of is the Benq W1070, about $1,000. There are a couple 720p "3D ready" projectors for about $600: Optoma HD66 and Acer 5360. BUT you will have to buy additional gear to make it work(cost unknown).

Real Name
Riley Morgan
So what is the difference really, then, if you don't mind explaining it? The way I would imagine it is something like this: A true 3D projector comes with glasses and works out of the box. a "3d ready" projector is capable of properly displaying a 3d image but needs some kind of hardware for the glasses to display it properly. I suppose that a true 3D projector's image would be more immersive and display more properly?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks