-

Photo
- - - - -

Calling all Stooges fans! Hello Pop has been located!!!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,133 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted January 22 2013 - 01:30 PM

http://moronika.com/...43.msg40705#new News from Ron Hutchinson at The Vitaphone Project... Quote I am happy to announce that The Vitaphone Project has located a complete Technicolor print of the long-lost Stooges 1933 MGM Colortone short HELLO POP! This is the only lost short with all three Stooges, and also stars Ted Healy and Henry Armetta. The 35mm nitrate print was found overseas and after some torturous steps to get the nitrate packaged and shipped, it is today safely in the hands of my friend Eric Aijayla at YCM labs. Ned Price at WB has ensured the funding of the restoration, and ideally we could see this within a year. The sole known print burned in the big MGM fire in the 1960's.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted January 22 2013 - 06:01 PM

http://moronika.com/index.php?topic=4943.msg40705#new News from Ron Hutchinson at The Vitaphone Project... Quote I am happy to announce that The Vitaphone Project has located a complete Technicolor print of the long-lost Stooges 1933 MGM Colortone short HELLO POP! This is the only lost short with all three Stooges, and also stars Ted Healy and Henry Armetta. The 35mm nitrate print was found overseas and after some torturous steps to get the nitrate packaged and shipped, it is today safely in the hands of my friend Eric Aijayla at YCM labs. Ned Price at WB has ensured the funding of the restoration, and ideally we could see this within a year. The sole known print burned in the big MGM fire in the 1960's.

That is great news for us Stooges fans and now if someone can find any kind of materials for the Laurel & Hardy short "Hats Off" from c. 1927, that would be awesome as well! Can't wait for this newest Stooges short to be cleaned up and restored and such and ready for release hopefully by year's end.

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy

Second Unit

• 316 posts

Posted January 22 2013 - 06:04 PM

Amazing! It's eventual availability will be a great addition to the Stooge Library for us stoogians! What a day~!

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,133 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted January 22 2013 - 06:07 PM

Warner Home Archive confirmed on FB that this would see a release this year! This is already turning out to be a great year for classic TV fans!!! :cool:

Find me on Facebook

My blog

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,655 posts

Posted January 22 2013 - 06:27 PM

Warner Home Archive confirmed on FB that this would see a release this year! This is already turning out to be a great year for classic TV fans!!! :cool:

Looks like the inevitable "MGM Three Stooges Shorts Collection" is all but confirmed for a future release. Knowing the WB's strong support of the Vitaphone Project, it's not too surprising, but still very welcome. However, the Facebook post makes no mention of this short being available in the WAC specifically this year. The Vitaphone Project announcement states "ideally we could see this within a year" which neither guarantees the restoration work will be completed this year nor ensures the restoration team won't encounter problems or delays along the way. Yes, we could see it this year but it's not definite.

#6 of 14 ONLINE   moviepas

moviepas

Second Unit

• 428 posts

Posted January 22 2013 - 06:49 PM

The sole known print burned in the big MGM fire in the 1960's.

One wonders what else was really lost in that one. It is stated that the entire original nitrate cartoon shorts collection went in this including Tom & Jerry. However, preservation acetate masters had been previously been made.

When one watches the Leonard Maltin narrated The Lost Stooges he shows us two(I think) manilla envelopes that were supposed to house two "Stooges" reels that were now lost, he said. If the reels were burnt then so would have been the envelopes!!!!

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,133 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted January 23 2013 - 01:29 AM

Looks like the inevitable "MGM Three Stooges Shorts Collection" is all but confirmed for a future release. Knowing the WB's strong support of the Vitaphone Project, it's not too surprising, but still very welcome. However, the Facebook post makes no mention of this short being available in the WAC specifically this year. The Vitaphone Project announcement states "ideally we could see this within a year" which neither guarantees the restoration work will be completed this year nor ensures the restoration team won't encounter problems or delays along the way. Yes, we could see it this year but it's not definite.

I stand corrected. I went back and looked and I did misread what they had posted. Hopefully we will see it this year, though!

Find me on Facebook

My blog

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,893 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 23 2013 - 04:19 AM

since I have all the Colombia shorts, I'll happily shell out for an MGM collection1 Very exciting!

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,947 posts

Posted January 24 2013 - 04:10 AM

The sole known print burned in the big MGM fire in the 1960's. One wonders what else was really lost in that one. It is stated that the entire original nitrate cartoon shorts collection went in this including Tom & Jerry. However, preservation acetate masters had been previously been made. When one watches the Leonard Maltin narrated The Lost Stooges he shows us two(I think) manilla envelopes that were supposed to house two "Stooges" reels that were now lost, he said. If the reels were burnt then so would have been the envelopes!!!!  

Apparently, the person with Hello Pop also had a copy of London After Midnight, but no one wanted to pay for shipping.

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 347 posts
  • LocationNorth Bay, ON; Canada

Posted September 04 2013 - 03:53 PM

HELLO POP will be screened for the first time in 80 years at the Film Forum in New York City on September 30, 2013.  Below is a link to more details regarding that, along with a brief but very interesting, and I think heartwarming story about how the last lost Stooges short came to be found!

http://www.filmforum...the_three_stoog

CHEERS!

Tony

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted September 04 2013 - 04:14 PM

If this happens to be coming out onto DVD next year, definitely buying it.

#12 of 14 ONLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,683 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 11:52 PM

See, it's news like this (and the big score for Metropolis a couple of years ago) that give me hope that we'll find more Doctor Who episodes some day!

• Ron1973 likes this

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,794 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted September 21 2013 - 04:22 AM

^^ more Troughton, more Cybermen...  they must be out there!   

• Tony J Case likes this
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,133 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted September 21 2013 - 08:04 AM

I've never watched Dr. Who personally (I'm sure I'm missing out) but I still read things with interest related to the show and hope more episodes turn up for fans. I'm thrilled anytime something thought "long lost" is found and even more thrilled when it is released for the public to view/hear.

• Tony J Case and Tony Bensley like this

Find me on Facebook

My blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users