Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ The Quiet Man -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#101 of 102 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,555 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Peter Neski 

so on your set ,the scenes in the Quiet Man where they jump from live locations to in studio ,you don't notice more grain and other
reasons the Picture doesn't look as good, I do on my 34inch

Peter,

I'm neither saying that they do nor do not.  My point is that the transitions should be moderately seamless.  One can tell hardly anything from this BD, as it is in no way similar to the look and textures of the film.

Much like the BD of The Man Who Knew Too Much II, the fact that the image is sharp is meaningless.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#102 of 102 OFFLINE   hguerth

hguerth

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted February 10 2013 - 09:27 AM

For 15 years John Ford yearned to make this picture. Neither Paramount nor one of the other noble studios took the risk of backing it. Eventually Ford found his financier in a well-known curmudgeon from Poverty Row, man's name was Yates, who first put pressure on him and was conning him in the end - while he wallowed in the solid earnings of TQM. It's a sad story and it ended 60 years ago with a jewel of a film. And who in these days owns the rights to use this former Republic property? Who the hell indeed? Is this really Paramount? Snapped by some bargain shopping in the copyright bazaar? And why are they hiding behind contraptions like Olive. What are they ashamed of? My Fair Lady? (Oh dear, that one was CBS). Do they really own all the rights? And the public got none? No right to see this "soft, misty color" John Ford demanded - and got. Instead we are fobbed off with something "gritty, hard and brittle" (that is what Robert Harris told us here and that is what I can see). We try to enjoy a picture in the digital realm but blatant cop badges remind us not to steal. They are carefully crafted by the very same buccaneers who once evaded to the Far West, stealing the lawful rights of Mr. Edison. Unfortunately, for all I know, there is no law against stealing works of art from the public view. For 15 years these current digital media now exist. Are we expected to wait for another 15 years until we are finally allowed to see this movie as it is? Oh, come on Paramount. Remember what Mr. Ford did for you. This Blu-ray is not what he deserves. This is just another travesty after all the years of DVD mockeries. Do better and give some of your precious rights to Criterion who can handle this affair. And as a kindly wish - bethink it is an Irish story - obtain absolution by a pilgrimage to Blarney Castle and as a possible result the capability of cajoling CBS to do the same for MFL.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users