Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Dobie Gillis Coming from Shout Factory

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 of 64 OFFLINE   Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Second Unit

• 289 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 07:45 AM

Seeing him go from a happy teenager who was always chasing beautiful girls to a sad, depressed, middle-age man, married to Zelda, still annoying as ever, was not something I ever needed to see.
Except that that's life, Neil; sometimes people don't get what they want, and Dobie didn't get what he wanted. Maybe if Dobie had worked hard at school instead of being such a schemer and had a realistic career goal, he'd be with Thalia now and in a career that he wanted, instead of managing his father's store and becoming married to Zelda. But, he didn't, and now, what happened to him, happened. The same thing happened in the Leave It To Beaver reunion with Beaver, BTW, and people didn't have problems with that (hell, even the live action Archie TV movie was realistic); what gives with the way people feel about this one? Credit Komack and his writers for having a sense of realism compared to the producers, writers and directors of Bring Me The Head Of Dobie Gillis, which just reunited them as if nothing bad ever happened to them in life, completely problem free.

#62 of 64 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 654 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Neil Brock  Seeing him go from a happy teenager who was always chasing beautiful girls to a sad, depressed, middle-age man, married to Zelda, still annoying as ever, was not something I ever needed to see.
I never saw the reunion show and it doesn't sound like I missed much. Trying to make these classic shows relevant to modern culture is usually a bad move, imho.

#63 of 64 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 719 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted January 02 2014 - 07:06 PM

Does anyone think there's any chance of Shout Facotry ( or any company ) releasing Bring Me The Head Of Dobie Gillis on DVD? (The 1977 pilot  would make a nice bonus feature).

#64 of 64 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 719 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted June 29 2014 - 06:23 AM

I 've been watching this DVD set slowly , a couple of episodes a week for maximum enjoyment. I just got to season 4. Having watched disc one of season four , it's better than I remember . But Bobby Diamond 's Dunkie character just turned up. I recall that Maynard  sort of becomes the main character (along with Dunkie ) for most of the season. But looking back with hindsight , that was a mistake. We all know the Dobie /Dwayne Hickman was the focus of the show with Maynard along for comic relief. Having said that , I also believe that The MLODG had a great supporting cast in Frank Faylen, Florida Friebus , Doris Packer, Stephen Franken, Sheila James etc. Season 4 should have continued to explore the Dobie and Zelda's conflict /relationship.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users