Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Dobie Gillis Coming from Shout Factory

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 of 64 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,141 posts

Posted January 25 2013 - 03:23 AM

I have them both and the movie was far more in the spirit of the series. Casting Connie Stevens to replace Tuesday Weld was inspired although Weld is pretty hard to replace.

#42 of 64 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,324 posts

Posted January 25 2013 - 09:42 AM

Great news. I used to watch the reruns on cable and enjoyed them. My unscientific memory is that the first year and a half (the high school years) was far superior to the rest. Do those of you who have clearer memories of the show recall it the same way?

#43 of 64 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 577 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted January 25 2013 - 11:34 AM

I liked the college years the best , the "Dunkie" episodes with Bobby Diamond the least .But the early episodes were classics and I actually like the whole series . Can't wait to buy this. I already tried to pre-order it but Amazon isn't taking orders yet.

#44 of 64 OFFLINE   Jobla

Jobla

Supporting Actor

• 598 posts

Posted January 25 2013 - 12:40 PM

I prefer the later college episodes, myself. I think I least enjoyed the "in the army" period. I look forward to buying the complete series.

#45 of 64 OFFLINE   DaveHof

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted January 27 2013 - 08:35 AM

I prefer the earlier episodes myself. I love "The Best Dressed Man," with Tuesday Weld's near orgasmic responses each time Dobie and Milton try to one-up each other with their fashion statements, and William Schallert's hilarious responses to the competition. Thalia was an unrepentant gold-digger but my heavens she was stunning.

#46 of 64 OFFLINE   RBailey

RBailey

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted January 27 2013 - 11:12 AM

The final season of "Dobie" is a tough watch. By this time, Maynard was the focal point of the show and some episodes only had Dwayne Hickman in the wraparound segments. Late in the 4th season, the series seemed to try to regain some of the earlier episodes style and charm but it was too late. Frank Faylen is always a joy to watch and I've always been especially fond of the lovely Jean Byron in the later episodes as Dr. Imogene Burkhart. I'm still thrilled that Shout Factory is going to release the whole series. Can't wait!

#47 of 64 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,112 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted January 27 2013 - 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by LouA 

Shout is a great company. I'll be buying this as soon as it comes out. Now if Paramount would get out the rest of Sgt. Bilko I would be even happier yet!

Lou,

Agreed and agreed. We also need Paramount to give us the final season of Have Gun Will Travel!

Rich Gallagher

#48 of 64 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,306 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted January 28 2013 - 04:49 AM

It's been 20 years since I saw this show when Nick at Nite had it in reruns. Can't wait to see how the DVDs turn out.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#49 of 64 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,141 posts

Posted January 28 2013 - 10:08 AM

I prefer the earlier episodes myself. I love "The Best Dressed Man," with Tuesday Weld's near orgasmic responses each time Dobie and Milton try to one-up each other with their fashion statements, and William Schallert's hilarious responses to the competition. Thalia was an unrepentant gold-digger but my heavens she was stunning.

Also prefer the High School episodes as well. Tuesday Weld was the Drew Barrymore of her day, the original wild child. For someone as talented and beautiful as she was, she really didn't have that great of a career. Other than The Cincinnati Kid, I can't really think of any memorable movies that she starred in.

#50 of 64 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,648 posts

Posted January 28 2013 - 10:23 AM

Tuesday Weld was the Drew Barrymore of her day, the original wild child. For someone as talented and beautiful as she was, she really didn't have that great of a career. Other than The Cincinnati Kid, I can't really think of any memorable movies that she starred in.

I'd throw in SOLDIER IN THE RAIN ('63) and especially PRETTY POISON ('68), but point taken.

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#51 of 64 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted January 28 2013 - 11:38 PM

Also prefer the High School episodes as well. Tuesday Weld was the Drew Barrymore of her day, the original wild child. For someone as talented and beautiful as she was, she really didn't have that great of a career. Other than The Cincinnati Kid, I can't really think of any memorable movies that she starred in.

One more memorable starring, or at least costarring, role, Once Upon a Time in America.

#52 of 64 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,678 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted January 29 2013 - 03:06 AM

I'd add Lord Love a Duck to the list short list. Reportedly she's turned down films, notably Lolita, Bonnie and Clyde, True Grit, and Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice, which she felt would throw her into the spotlight too much.

#53 of 64 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,141 posts

Posted January 29 2013 - 10:09 AM

Makes sense as she's been a recluse for at least a couple of decades now.

#54 of 64 OFFLINE   PatrickGoodluck

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted January 29 2013 - 11:07 AM

It would be wonderful if Tuesday came out of seclusion to do some commentary on an episode or two.

#55 of 64 OFFLINE   ChrisOC

ChrisOC

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted February 02 2013 - 06:26 PM

I just saw the news. I've been catching up with the show on MeTV now that TWC is carrying that channel in our area. It's a great show, and I'll be buying the set when it's released.

#56 of 64 OFFLINE   ChrisOC

ChrisOC

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted February 02 2013 - 06:40 PM

The final season of "Dobie" is a tough watch. By this time, Maynard was the focal point of the show and some episodes only had Dwayne Hickman in the wraparound segments.

There were only a few in which Hickman was largely absent, and that was due to his being sick. That season had some ridiculous plots, though; I think Schulman wasn't as involved by then, and it shows.

#57 of 64 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,883 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted February 03 2013 - 09:02 AM

One more memorable starring, or at least costarring, role, Once Upon a Time in America.

"Return to Peyton Place", anyone? She replaced Hope Lange as Selena Cross.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#58 of 64 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 577 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted February 04 2013 - 12:20 PM

Hi Rich , Season 6 of Have Gun Will Travel was announced today for Spring release in two half season sets. Good news! Check out the TV Shows On DVD site for details.

#59 of 64 OFFLINE   Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 01:06 AM

That would have been a much better idea than what Komack did. Dobie and Zelda were married, he was running the grocery store, had a smart ass teen son and was this really downbeat, depressed guy. And Maynard showed up with white hair playing a hippie guru. It was as bad as it sounds.

Considering all that Dobie was trying to do in the original show (get Thalia to be with him, and get money so that he could be with her) what happens in the reunion was fine by me; it only shows that Dobie had to face reality instead of living in a fantasy. Also, Maynard was always like a hippie, so him being a hippie guru fits quite well.

#60 of 64 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,141 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 07:11 AM

Considering all that Dobie was trying to do in the original show (get Thalia to be with him, and get money so that he could be with her) what happens in the reunion was fine by me; it only shows that Dobie had to face reality instead of living in a fantasy. Also, Maynard was always like a hippie, so him being a hippie guru fits quite well.

Seeing him go from a happy teenager who was always chasing beautiful girls to a sad, depressed, middle-age man, married to Zelda, still annoying as ever, was not something I ever needed to see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users