What's new

Mama's Family 30th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Today Mama's Family turns 30, and it's been 7 years since the first season came out in 2006. You'd think by now WB and Joe Hamilton Productions would of come some agreement and release the rest of the series. I would of though by now that at least Shout Factory would of released the rest of the series. What's holding up the continuation of this series, how hard is it to get uncut episodes?
6ddd4ddb_MamasFamilycast.jpeg

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
Warner Archive should look into this, as Mama has the same kind of audience as ALICE, which has been a huge sucess for them on MOD DVD. Perhaps it's the few musical clearances in S2 that's deterring them, or no access to uncut S2 episodes.

savantoftherelm

Auditioning
Real Name
savant
Warner only has the edited versions of the episodes, JHP has the unedited masters, but Warner's backward agreement with them prevents JHP from releasing the unedited seasons - JHP stated that online and in interviews years ago - Typical Corporation backwards thinking and the Consumer gets the shaft.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
savantoftherelm said:
Warner only has the edited versions of the episodes, JHP has the unedited masters, but Warner's backward agreement with them prevents JHP from releasing the unedited seasons - JHP stated that online and in interviews years ago - Typical Corporation backwards thinking and the Consumer gets the shaft.
If JHP wants to release Mama uncut then why hasn't JHP gone to another distributor to get the series released again. WB rights must be coming to a end anyways.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Originally Posted by savantoftherelm
Any idea how long JHP's agreement with Warner is, hopefully it is ending soon?!
This was a quirky little show (it was fun to watch) but it has a very loyal following and I think it would do well on DVD. I would suggest to Joe Hamilton Productions to look at VEI for releasing the series. They have moved towards complete series releases now as opposed to Shout! who would probably do season sets if they acquired the rights. VEI is a better option as you would get the entire series in one release as opposed to waiting who knows how long for all the seasons to be released (if they are, depending on sales). They have done a good job with the TV series they have released thus far including Gimme a Break!, Kate & Allie and Cagney & Lacey.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
You guys got me excited about some new news on Mama coming to DVD in the full, original versions. I didn't buy S1 because I refuse to support anything that is not in its original form. This can not be that hard to get done.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Wouldn't the best person to ask about Joe Hamilton Productions be his ex-wife Carol Burnett as wouldn't she over see the handling of the company since his death in 1991? VEI or Shout would be best to get the rest of the season out. I prefer Shout Factory more as they would give the fans all the special features they'd want where as VEI doesn't seem to do special features. Whoever releases Mama in the future show the show in the production order and not broadcasting order as seasons 1-3 are beyond out of order especially season 1 as Positive Thinking should be the last episode of season 1 not Vint Pawns Mama's Silver.

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
Carol and Joe Hamilton divorced during the syndication run of "Mama's Family", so she would not likely have control of the company.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Wait, I remember reading on TVShowonDVD that Joe Hamilton Productions is run by their son Joe Jr. though I could be wrong. Wasn't The Carol Burnett Show a JHP show?

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
The Carol Burnett Show threads detail some of the production history of the show, and I don't remember JHP being mentioned (Bob Banner Associates, Punkin, and Wacko were involved at various times). He had 8 children by his first wife and three daughters with Carol.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
savantoftherelm said:
Because you're new here, your post is being held for moderation. Once approved by a moderator, it will be published on the site. Thanks for your patience. - I made a post before this one and it was not moderated, hhhmmmmmmm censorship AY! Its is because WB is ran by mouth-breathing miscreants who do not understand how to properly run a business.
Here we go again! :rolleyes:

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by savantoftherelm Because you're new here, your post is being held for moderation. Once approved by a moderator, it will be published on the site. Thanks for your patience. - I made a post before this one and it was not moderated, hhhmmmmmmm censorship AY! Its is because WB is ran by mouth-breathing miscreants who do not understand how to properly run a business. This post looks suspiciously similar to another post from a "new member" who's account was almost immediately suspened. Hmmmmm.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by darkrock17
WB doesn't know how do anything anymore these days.
I think that's very unfair. The Warner Archive is the best MOD program out there. Warner cares about all of their films and rolled out the red carpet for the HTF back in October. They do some of the best work in the industry.
I share the frustration over the cut episodes of Mama's Family in S1 and chastised the set publicly and vocally when it was released. But to say they can't do anything is just wrong.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Jason_V said:
I think that's very unfair.  The Warner Archive is the best MOD program out there.  Warner cares about all of their films and rolled out the red carpet for the HTF back in October.  They do some of the best work in the industry.  I share the frustration over the cut episodes of Mama's Family in S1 and chastised the set publicly and vocally when it was released.  But to say they can't do anything is just wrong.
WB only cares about titles they know will bring them big bucks and Mama ain't one, because they would of tired to strike a deal with JHP to get the uncut masters.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
darkrock17 said:
WB only cares about titles they know will bring them big bucks and Mama ain't one, because they would of tired to strike a deal with JHP to get the uncut masters.
Yes, the Warner Archives program is just filled with titles raking in the big bucks. Remind me again, is it the pre-code black and white movies or the TV shows like Courtship of Eddie's Father and FBI that are the real cash cows?

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
The Obsolete Man said:
Yes, the Warner Archives program is just filled with titles raking in the big bucks. Remind me again, is it the pre-code black and white movies or the TV shows like Courtship of Eddie's Father and FBI that are the real cash cows?
Well for $30 a release I would hope that since Archive is so good that they do better than this Taken from WB Shop.com The FBI Season One - Season Three Part 1 Important: This title has been manufactured from the best-quality video master currently available and has not been remastered or restored for this DVD/Digital Download release. Where as The Courtship of Eddie's Father Season 2 has this This film is newly remastered.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by darkrock17
The same can be said of Paramount, Universal, Disney, Fox and every other FOR PROFIT company in the world. So, again, I reject that argument since it is so nebulous.
Further, the reason the Warner Archive is around-not to mention all the other MOD programs-is to get the films and TV shows which wouldn't sell like gangbusters onto the market. Essentially, the studios are cutting out the middle man (aka Amazon-in some cases-and every B/M).

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Anytime I've asked a question on their FB page or sent them an e-mail, I've always gotten a response back. They were quick last night with a reply where a friend and myself asked a question about the newly found Three Stooges short. I don't have a beef with Warner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks