Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Mama's Family 30th Anniversary

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#221 of 237 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 837 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted September 19 2013 - 03:00 PM

I'm glad they finally acknowledged this publicly, but I'm not giving up hope that someone out there somewhere has a copy of those episodes from their original broadcast (that they taped on video) and we all can at least get a copy of - regardless of the quality. Hopefully one day we'll be able to find them.

I know this might sound stupid but, did VHS exit in 1983? Wasn't Betamax still the "in" thing still? If anyone did record the NBC seasons, they're on YouTube somewhere, as I've seen bloopers from the NBC years and an Alister Quince intro as well.

Mama's Family bloopers start at 1:56  https://www.youtube....h?v=1x-jTF5p6uY

Mama's Family bloopers from TV's Bloopers & Practical Jokes starts at 1:08 https://www.youtube....h?v=-ni0tTrKl_k

Original Intro with Alister Quince: https://www.youtube....h?v=bs8gIgGuBAw

Edited by darkrock17, September 19 2013 - 03:01 PM.

#222 of 237 OFFLINE   Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor

• 752 posts
  • LocationGlendale, California

Posted September 19 2013 - 04:11 PM

Yes. VHS has been around since the mid-1970s, though there wouldn't be as many until the early 1980's.

#223 of 237 OFFLINE   John Karras

John Karras

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted September 19 2013 - 07:05 PM

I'm glad they finally acknowledged this publicly, but I'm not giving up hope that someone out there somewhere has a copy of those episodes from their original broadcast (that they taped on video) and we all can at least get a copy of - regardless of the quality. Hopefully one day we'll be able to find them.

It's too bad TL didn't acknowledge this prior to shipping the set, since the 22 min. running time along with the production slate on the master they used for the DVD states "Domestic Syndication Master" were both dead giveaways. TL's after-the-fact acknowledgement, only prompted by customer inquiries, reduces the sincerity of their statement.

"...have not withstood the test of time and were lost".  This implies:

1. That the 1" edited master of these 2 episodes somehow deteriorated beyond correction, while all the other masters on the shelf remained stable

2. That the minimum 6 copies of the edited master made at the time of original broadcast were not retained by JH Productions or the estate

3. That JH Productions eschewed the standard practice of also storing a protection master of each show.

#224 of 237 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 5,026 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted September 19 2013 - 08:03 PM

Okay, ya know, I have to give TL some props now.  They actually admitted what happened.  Is it perfect?  No.  But it's a whole lot more than what some other studios/distributors have done in the past. 

#225 of 237 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,085 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 19 2013 - 10:38 PM

I'm happy.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#226 of 237 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,462 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 08:40 AM

I'm sure those episodes exist uncut in the hands of collectors. I taped about half the Mamas off NBC in the 80s and the rest off syndication or TBS years later.

#227 of 237 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,357 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted September 20 2013 - 08:48 AM

I'm sure those episodes exist uncut in the hands of collectors. I taped about half the Mamas off NBC in the 80s and the rest off syndication or TBS years later.

Yeah, but would the VHS tapes be of decent enough quality to lift the edited parts from for a DVD release?

I mean, you know people... there are complaints about edited episodes, but there would be loud complaints about inferior picture quality on the footage spliced back into the episodes, as well.

Although in watching through the series, I've just made it to season 3, and the NBC episodes are already of inferior picture quality to the syndicated years, IMO.

I don't know if technology changed in the two year layoff, or if a better quality of videotape was used to record the syndicated years, or what happened to make the NBC episodes look so bad compared to the syndicated years.

#228 of 237 OFFLINE   smithbrad

smithbrad

Supporting Actor

• 778 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 03:43 PM

yeah, if that was true - then explain how when i was in canada this weekend and saw those 2 episodes in a maratoin showing of the show and they were unedited !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look who's back...How about we all just ignore his posts going forward and not give him the satisfaction. Deal?

#229 of 237 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,355 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted September 20 2013 - 04:05 PM

Look who's back...How about we all just ignore his posts going forward and not give him the satisfaction. Deal?

Too bad this site doesn't have a "ignore" feature when it comes to certain posters! :lol:

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#230 of 237 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,462 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 08:04 PM

Yeah, but would the VHS tapes be of decent enough quality to lift the edited parts from for a DVD release?

I mean, you know people... there are complaints about edited episodes, but there would be loud complaints about inferior picture quality on the footage spliced back into the episodes, as well.

Although in watching through the series, I've just made it to season 3, and the NBC episodes are already of inferior picture quality to the syndicated years, IMO.

I don't know if technology changed in the two year layoff, or if a better quality of videotape was used to record the syndicated years, or what happened to make the NBC episodes look so bad compared to the syndicated years.

Could be any number of reasons. My theory is that when they were on the network they were probably using hand-me-down camera equipment from NBC, but in syndication the producers probably had to spring for their own stuff.

As for spliced-in footage...I don't think they'd complain. They put up with it for I Love Lucy and the Brady Bunch. Better a few inferior shots than none at all. Hopefully they'll track down some uncut versions and offer a replacement disc. "Cellmates" was one of the best episodes they ever did--a Eunice/Thelma installment and worthy successor to the CBS sketches. 

#231 of 237 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,462 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 08:05 PM

yeah, if that was true - then explain how when i was in canada this weekend and saw those 2 episodes in a maratoin showing of the show and they were unedited !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, you did not. Liar, liar, liar. Do you have nothing better to do than grief on the "Mama's Family" thread and misspell everything?

#232 of 237 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,357 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted September 20 2013 - 08:24 PM

Y'know, I wouldn't even want the hassle of a replacement disc... just a disc with both uncut episodes on it, maybe some extra bonus materials they had lying around the cutting room floor for good measure (aren't the bonus features on the "Best Of" discs exclusive to those discs only? Those would make a nice gift to complete series buyers), pack it in a slim case that would fit in the complete series box we already have, and that's that. Make it available to the people who have already ordered, and pack it with unsold sets.

#233 of 237 OFFLINE   shc57783

shc57783

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted November 19 2013 - 08:30 PM

Watching the few Carol Burnett Show "Family" sketches included with this set makes me wish someone would release all 31 sketches on home video as a collection. At this point, they're not even all available in the various Carol Burnett Show collections. Maybe someday...

#234 of 237 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 837 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted November 20 2013 - 02:56 PM

Watching the few Carol Burnett Show "Family" sketches included with this set makes me wish someone would release all 31 sketches on home video as a collection. At this point, they're not even all available in the various Carol Burnett Show collections. Maybe someday...

Time Life might release a "The Family" collection next year.

#235 of 237 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,226 posts

Posted November 20 2013 - 04:51 PM

That's interesting as I never knew there were a total of 31 sketches from that show of The Family. THAT I would definitely buy in a heartbeat!

#236 of 237 OFFLINE   David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,115 posts

Posted November 21 2013 - 12:45 AM

There's also this Eunice & Mama sketch from Carol's 1979 follow-up series.

Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#237 of 237 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,226 posts

Posted November 21 2013 - 05:35 PM

That one was a pain to find on YouTube in the beginning as that's where I first saw this thing but I'm totally in for the complete The Family sketches from this show if it ever does come out on DVD...that's what started the idea of Mama's Family.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users