What's new

Replacing 14 yr old TV with either HDTV Samsung LCD or Panasonic Plasma -NHT & B&W speakers (1 Viewer)

htbobhdtv

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Cleveland
We presently have an old TV with a sound system that has a Marantz SRS 5300 receiver, Marantz DV 4300 Progressive Scan DVD player. The speaker system consists of 3 front speaker 2 sides NHT 1.1 and 1 ctr NHT 1.1C. The rear speakers will be out of date 2 HDP 1 surround sounds wall mounted. There also is a NHT SW2P powered subwoofer. The TV video signal source is DISH The new HDTV 46" or 50" will be a Samsung LCD full backlit with internet conductivity to stream movies. MY question is can I use my existing front speakers and substitute 2 wonderful old in excellent condition B&W DM 14 3 driver closed box speakers for my 2 NHT HDP 1 rear speakers and balance them all for a Home Theatre? Can I still use the Marantz SRS5300 as it does not have any HDMI inputs ? Can it balance all the speakers? Can the Dish Satellite video and sound signal go directly to the receiver or must I go through extra step of a DISH cable box.? Lastly i suppose I'll also have to replace my DVD player with a BlueRay Universal player? Any assistance would be much appreciated. htbobhdtv

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, "good news"... The 5300 has a 6channel analog input. You can buy a 6channel BD player(but they aren't cheap). You have digital inputs on the 5300 as well. The only thing "lacking" is HD compatible video switching... So, with hoops...you can still use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks