354 replies to this topic

#121 of 355 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,510 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 26 2013 - 02:17 PM

Can't. . .do. . .it. . .

I understand, Aaron. I can never bring myself to root for the Bruins, either, no matter the circumstance. I've been a Leafs fan the past few days (which is tough for a Habs fan) -- damn them for not being able to hold a lead.

This is a tough two day stretch for the Habs, playing on the road back to back against the Pens and Bruins. Montreal is still playing shorthanded, too, as Rene Bourque had a setback in his concussion recovery, Prust is not making the road trip, and Diaz is still quite a ways away from coming back from a concussion.

Brendan Morrow is supposed to be making his Pittsburgh debut tonight, and Halpern makes his first appearance for the Canadiens since being picked up on waivers. It's Halpern's second time around with Montreal. I'm not sure how much Morrow has left in the tank -- he's really slowed down due to injuries the past few years. Pittsburgh gave up a prime defensive prospect for this rental player.

#122 of 355 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,263 posts

Posted March 26 2013 - 07:35 PM

Well, it seems as though Aaron was the only one who got what he wanted tonight, as the Penguins won their thirteenth straight game, defeating Montreal 1-0.

There has been some talk about the Bruins thinking about possibly making some deals in order to keep up with Pittsburgh.  I don't know how serious the B's are with regard to doing anything at this point, but the article is nevertheless interesting.

http://espn.go.com/b...ruins-next-move

Edited by Ockeghem, March 26 2013 - 07:36 PM.

#123 of 355 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,510 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 27 2013 - 05:15 AM

There have been some Iginla to the Bruins rumors. I would not be surprised to see Boston make a deal or two before the deadline, as they are still Pittsburgh's toughest competition in the conference, and the Bruins should be in a "win now" mode.

Montreal GM Marc Bergevin has already stated he will not mortgage the Habs future for this single playoff season. I think that is a wise decision, as the Canadiens are still building and have a bright future with the prospects still in the minors. I do not think any rent-a-player currently available is going to make them better than the Pens or Bruins this season anyway, so they are better off taking their chances on pulling off an upset or two in the playoffs with what they have and holding onto those prospects.

Edited by Scott Merryfield, March 27 2013 - 05:16 AM.

#124 of 355 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 27 2013 - 07:20 AM

Yeah, the Bruins are in serious need of scoring -- they haven't scored more than 4 goals all season! Unfortunately Iginla's a bit past his prime, but we'll take what we can get at this point. There doesn't seem to be much available. Unless Jagr is planning on turning into Gordie Howe!

• Ockeghem likes this
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#125 of 355 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,510 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 28 2013 - 04:46 AM

Bad night for Bruins fans. First, they blow a 2 goal lead to the Habs, then the rumors of Iginla being traded to Boston for peanuts turn out to be false, and Iginla ends up in Pittsburgh.

#126 of 355 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,263 posts

Posted April 01 2013 - 07:11 AM

This is quite unfortunate.

http://espn.go.com/o...s-days-hit-head

#127 of 355 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,510 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 01 2013 - 07:40 AM

This is quite unfortunate.

http://espn.go.com/o...s-days-hit-head

Wow! That is very sad news.

#128 of 355 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,510 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 02 2013 - 10:51 AM

Looks like the Bruins got Jagr for two prospects -- Lane MacDermaid and Cody Payne -- and a conditional 1st/2nd round pick. It becomes a 1st rounder if Boston wins two playoff series this year. Here is hoping it ends up being a 2nd round pick. ;)

I am not that familiar with MacDermaid, but Cody Payne plays for the Plymouth Whalers, so I am very familiar with him. Payne is a big, tough kid with a decent scoring touch (24G, 21A in 68 games this year playing on an absolutely stacked team), but he is certainly not a top prospect. So, Scott & Aaron, I wouldn't be worried that you gave up much there. If what I am reading about MacDermaid is true, it doesn't sound like he was a very highly rated prospect, either.

I am not really sure what is going on in Dallas. In the offseason they were acquiring players as if they were going to be a contender, and now they are giving guys away for peanuts. First they trade Ryder and a 3rd to Montreal for a washed up Cole and the two years left on his contract, then dump newly acquired Roy and Jagr at the deadline for very little return. I do not know if Neiwendyk or Gainey is pulling the strings there, but whoever is making these moves clearly has no plan.

Edited by Scott Merryfield, April 02 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#129 of 355 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,263 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 11:17 AM

Scott,

I just saw this about ten minutes ago.  I hope Jagr even at his present age can help Boston.  A potential playoff match-up with Pittsburgh could be quite interesting this year.  Of course, I hope the Habs and Penguins square off in an earlier round. ;)

http://espn.go.com/b...ins-source-says

Here is some analysis (ESPN) of the trade:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/bruins/

And Scott, you might want to bookmark the second link (Bruins blog) for the best in hockey news. ;)

Edited by Ockeghem, April 02 2013 - 11:23 AM.

#130 of 355 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,510 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 02 2013 - 11:44 AM

Scott, you're reading about the NHL on ESPN? I thought they forgot how to even spell "hockey" since they stopped broadcasting the sport. :lol:

Check out http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/ . Much better NHL coverage there.

#131 of 355 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,263 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 12:46 PM

Scott, you're reading about the NHL on ESPN? I thought they forgot how to even spell "hockey" since they stopped broadcasting the sport. :lol:

Check out http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/ . Much better NHL coverage there.

Scott,

Many thanks.  That's a great link.  (I thought it was going to be Habs-centric -- LOL.)

And by the way, your link is quite accurate with regard to their Power Rankings list. ;)

http://www.tsn.ca/fa...s/rankings/nhl/

Edited by Ockeghem, April 02 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#132 of 355 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,510 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 02 2013 - 01:38 PM

I thought about giving you a link to the Canadiens area on the Hockey's Future board, but that place can be nuts. I wouldn't do that to anybody... even a Bruins fan.  :lol:

• Ockeghem likes this

#133 of 355 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 03 2013 - 06:19 AM

Do the Ducks change their logo every season?

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#134 of 355 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,510 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 06 2013 - 06:21 PM

Another Habs - Bruins nailbiter, with the Canadiens hanging onto first place with a 2-1 win. All three goals were redirected shots, as both goalies were solid. The Bruins had a 6 on 4 power play and the puck in the Montreal end for the last minute of the game,and did not even direct a single shot towards the net. It was pretty pathetic. Jagr did a good impression of the Invisible Man, too.

Yoopie1.gif

#135 of 355 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,263 posts

Posted April 07 2013 - 01:35 PM

Let's hope it happens this time around.  I would think that it would be televised, too. :)

http://espn.go.com/n...n-stadium-again

#136 of 355 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,510 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 07 2013 - 03:08 PM

Let's hope it happens this time around.  I would think that it would be televised, too. :)

http://espn.go.com/n...n-stadium-again

It looks like the events at Comerica Park will be held, too.I was really looking forward to the OHL doubleheader there before the lockout.

#137 of 355 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 08 2013 - 08:15 AM

I guess if I can take anything positive from that last game, it's that freaky animated .GIF.

#138 of 355 OFFLINE   JSul

JSul

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted April 14 2013 - 12:55 PM

Please provide your comments.
Big hockey fans here in DFW...like our Stars, but have players and teams we watch too, so we are annual NHL Center Ice subscribers and watch tons of games.
The sad part is that Time Warner Cable here does not provide the NHL Network channel....have asked for past 4 years or so. Each year it seems more and more games are on NHL Net, so that limits the games we can see on Center Ice. Also, our Center Ice package only has 2 channels for HD, everything else is SD....sometimes we do have both home/away feeds.

Am leaning to a change to DirecTV next year, but wanted to get some opinions from some of you.

#139 of 355 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,510 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 14 2013 - 05:11 PM

The NHL Network is nice to have, but I do not know if it alone is enough to switch carriers. Do you get NBCSports on TWC? They carry a few games a week, too. If you have an interest in lower levels of hockey, though, the NHL Network does show some AHL and CHL games.

What I find frustrating about both the above networks is they seem to have a bias towards showing a few teams. I get sick of seeing Pittsburgh because of Crosby so much.

You do have my sympathy about the Stars. Neiwendyk and his new advisor Gainey do not seem to have a clue what they are doing. As a Canadiens fan, though, I am appreciative about the Ryder - Cole trade. Montreal came out way ahead in that deal. I never did understand why Dallas traded James Neal to the Penguins. Why would a team trying to rebuild trade away a young power forward with that much talent?

#140 of 355 OFFLINE   JSul

JSul

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted April 15 2013 - 12:20 PM

Thanks Scott. Yes we get NBC Sports too. Just seems NHL Net gets more and more games...boo! Since we don't get it....more hockey is good, less hockey bad.
Fail to understand why they would limit the audience.

Not sure about that James Neil trade too....recall it happened during the bankruptcy of former owner/crook, Tom Hicks, so think it was NHL control....agree too, NBC: Nothing But Crosby.....root for them to lose, in spite the fact there are a few guys there I like.

Stars are going w/youth, but must remember that some experienced guys are always needed....I.e. blend....hope they can make the playoffs, even though they likely get fed to Chicago.....big game tonight, am hoping to pull a point out of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users