Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

NHL 2012-13 Season Discussion Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
322 replies to this topic

#121 of 323 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted May 02 2013 - 01:56 PM

"Look for Plymouth's Ryan Hartman and London's Max Domi to be selected in the first round of this summer's NHL draft."Scott,Will do.  Sorry about your Whalers.  Of course, I don't believe I'll be too apologetic or sympathetic concerning another of your favorite teams should they get eliminated. ;)

#122 of 323 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,889 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 03 2013 - 03:47 AM

Well, if last night was any indication, the Habs will not be in the playoffs very long. They completely gave away the game in the 3rd period. First, Carey Price gave up a ridiculously soft goal to allow Ottawa to tie the score, then Diaz made a lazy clearing pass that resulted in the winning goal about a minute later.  You just cannot do things like that in the playoffs.

Lars Eller took a nasty hit to the head in the 2nd period, and was bleeding a great deal as he was taken off on a stretcher. Gryba got a 5 minute major and game misconduct for the hit. Montreal was only able to score once on the power play, even though they ended up with a two man advantage for 1:21 of that major. Anderson played great in net for the Sens.

#123 of 323 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted May 03 2013 - 04:13 AM

The hit Eller took was illegal according to NHL commentators.  Ten years ago it was okay, but not any more.  That was quite brutal.  In my opinion Gryba will be suspended for at least one, if not more, games.

Another thrilling game between St. Louis and Los Angeles.  Just when I thought that the game was going to go into another overtime, the Blues score with about a minute left in the game.Detroit almost blew game two in Anaheim last night, winning in overtime.  They were leading 4-1 in the third period, only to see the Ducks storm back and tie the game.  I was actually surprised that the Red Wings won this game in overtime.  This could be a long series.

#124 of 323 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,889 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 03 2013 - 09:09 AM

Habs will be missing Eller, Pacioretty and Gionta tonight, all due to injuries suffered in Game 1. This schedule of 3 games in 4 nights is going to be a killer with these injuries. It looks like the playoffs will end very quickly for the Canadiens.

#125 of 323 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted May 03 2013 - 10:21 AM

Scott, Well, if that happens, then what could have been a thrilling series between the Bruins and the Canadiens won't occur. :(

Here's the latest on Eller:

http://espn.go.com/n...leased-hospital

Edited by Ockeghem, May 03 2013 - 10:23 AM.

#126 of 323 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted May 03 2013 - 07:06 PM

The Canadiens didn't look too shabby tonight!  And the Islanders storm back from a 3-1 deficit to shock the Penguins in Pittsburgh.  Wow.

#127 of 323 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,889 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 04 2013 - 02:08 PM

The Canadiens didn't look too shabby tonight!  And the Islanders storm back from a 3-1 deficit to shock the Penguins in Pittsburgh.  Wow.

That is the definition of "character win" by the Habs last night. Everyone chipped in, and Carey Price played great. Hopefully they can continue this on Sunday night in Ottawa.

Edited by Scott Merryfield, May 04 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#128 of 323 OFFLINE   Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted May 06 2013 - 04:52 AM

Ice Hockey seems to be the only sport that "allows" fights. In most other sports the fighter is ejected or given a red-card-

#129 of 323 OFFLINE   Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 06:00 AM

Today is when the US plays Russia at 13.15 (1:15 PM)

Edited by Sumnernor, May 07 2013 - 09:15 AM.

#130 of 323 OFFLINE   Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted May 08 2013 - 07:44 AM

For the World Ice hockey Championship see : http://www.iihf.com/...e-oc/start.html There are 2 groups in Stockholm (6 hours ahead of NYC) and in Helsinki 7 hours ahead of NYC In Round 1, the team leading at the end of reg. time gets 3 points and the tied teams each get 1 point and the winner in OT (sudden death) or penalty shots gets 1 more point At the end of the 1st round, the top 4 in each group will be in the knockout phase and the winners play in the semis. The worst 2 teams of the 2 groups will be relegated into the lower groups for next year. The other teams are finished- The times are 16:15 and 20:15 local times for round 1. My predictions are for Helsinki: are FIN, RUS, USA, and SLO for Stockholm: CAN, SWE, Swiss; and Czech/Slov Today is USA - FIn Helsinki at 13:15 NYC time On Thurs CAN-SWE Stockholm at 14:15 NYC Time

Edited by Sumnernor, May 08 2013 - 07:48 AM.

#131 of 323 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,889 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 10 2013 - 05:23 AM

Well, the season ended in a whimper for the Habs last night. Montreal's play was a disappointment for most of this series, but there are a lot of positives to be taken away from the season:

1. Improved from last to 2nd overall in the conference in one season.

2. Subban is developing into a top defenseman, and is a Norris Trophy finalist.

3. Rookies Gallagher and Galchenyuk both had excellent first seasons, and both have bright futures,

4. Lars Eller took a big leap forward in his development

5. Jared Tinordi looks like a solid defensive prospect, and adds desperately needed size to the blue line.

There is still a lot of work for GM Marc Bergevin to do in the offseason, but I like the direction the team is headed.

For those interested, the NHL Network will be showing tonight's OHL Championship Series game between the London Knights and Barrie Colts tomorrow at 11am. Barrie currently leads London 3-1 in the series. The Knights have three potential first round picks in this summer's NHL draft on the roster -- Max Domi, Bo Horvat and Nikita Zadorov. Meanwhile, Barrie has defenseman Aaron Ekblad, who was granted exceptional status in 2011, allowing him to enter the OHL a year early as a 15 year old, and Winnipeg's 2011 first round pick (#7 overall) Mark Scheifele, who scored four goals in Game 4 after recording five points (2G, 3A) in Game 3.

#132 of 323 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted May 10 2013 - 06:19 AM

Scott,

I really thought that Montreal would take this series (hence my pick above).  Whomever gets Ottawa next (Pittsburgh?) will surely have their hands full.When Montreal was playing some of their best hockey about a month or so ago, they looked like a legitimate no. 2 seed.  In fact, at the time I had the Penguins, Montreal, and Boston (in that order) as the three best teams in the Eastern Conference.  I might have ranked Boston number two had they done better in the head-to-head against the Canadiens this year.

Edited by Ockeghem, May 10 2013 - 06:20 AM.

#133 of 323 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,889 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 10 2013 - 08:17 AM

Scott,

I think Montreal really overachieved this season. The team wasn't as good as their #2 seed, but they were not as bad as their #15 finish last year, either. The team is still missing some pieces, but I think their future is bright. They have more solid prospects in the system, and have quite a few additional picks in this year's deep draft (and Trevor Timmons has done an excellent job drafting for them the past few years). They are also in very good shape with the salary cap, so they have a lot of flexibility in making trades or signing free agents.

I doubt that they will re-sign Michael Ryder, as he will want more money and years than he is worth and some other team will be willing to pay him. Kaberle will be bought out, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Bergevin shop Gionta, Weber, Diaz, Markov and/or Desharnais this summer or by next season's trade deadline. None of these players fit in long term with the core of the team, and all but Weber would probably garner some sort of decent return.

#134 of 323 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,001 posts

Posted May 11 2013 - 08:55 AM

Heckuva comeback down from 0-2 for the Kings, and without home ice advantage. Quick, despite having an up and down season, is starting to look like the MVP from last year.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#135 of 323 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,906 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 13 2013 - 07:11 AM

Two off days between games 1 and 2 in the same city, and nothin' between games 6 and 7 in different countries. Oy vey!

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#136 of 323 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted May 13 2013 - 10:40 AM

I really hope Boston wins tonight.  They need to come out strong, and score first.  The Caps - Rangers game should be one heck of a game.

I didn't think the Red Wings would get by the Ducks.  And I also thought that the Ducks were the only team in the west that would be able to give Chicago a run for their money, given how well they played the Blackhawks this year.  I would count out Detroit, but now I know better. ;)

Edited by Ockeghem, May 13 2013 - 10:41 AM.

#137 of 323 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted May 13 2013 - 07:28 PM

What an amazing NHL playoffs this is turning out to be. There have been seventeen overtime games -- a record -- this year. And I just heard it's the first time in NHL playoff history that a team (Bruins) has come back from three goals down in the third period in game seven to win a series. Incredible! :)

#138 of 323 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,889 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 14 2013 - 05:47 AM

Epic collapse by the Leafs last night. Once again a team gets burned trying to play just in their own half of the rink trying to protect a lead. The Bruins looked dead after Toronto's fourth goal, but the Leafs found a way to let them back in it. Have to give Boston credit for not giving up, but an NHL team should never blow a 3 goal lead with less than half a period to go.

At least both those teams showed up for their Game 7. I think the Capitals are still looking for the arena. :lol:

I went 5-3 with my first round picks. Here are my 2nd round choices:

Pittsburgh over Ottawa

Rangers over Boston

Chicago over Detroit

San Jose over LA

Lunquivst is playing terrific for New York, which is why I'm picking them over the Bruins.

#139 of 323 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted May 14 2013 - 08:12 AM

Lunquivst is indeed playing very well for New York.

My second-round picks are in boldface and are listed first:

East:

Pittsburgh - Ottawa

Boston - New York

West: 

Detroit - Chicago

San Jose - Los Angeles

#140 of 323 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,213 posts

Posted May 14 2013 - 08:54 AM

And I just heard it's the first time in NHL playoff history that a team (Bruins) has come back from three goals down in the third period in game seven to win a series. Incredible! :)

I was like "okay they scored one goal", but at some point, the Maple Leafs had to score into the empty net. And ended up missing the tying goal when I just stepped away briefly to get something from the kitchen. Even more unbelievable that they actually led it, 4-1 in the freaking 3rd period.

And how about that, 2 matchups of Original 6 teams in the 2nd round! My picks are:

Penguins over Senators

Bruins over Rangers

Blackhawks over Red Wings

Kings over Sharks

TV Episodes Watched - 2015 - March
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read) / 2014 (1 read)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users