• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

#41 of 355 ONLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,541 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 13 2013 - 12:17 PM

The Detroit Red Wings opened up their training camp at Compuware Arena, which is normally home to my hometown Plymouth Whalers. My wife and I decided to check it out for awhile. I posted some photos in the Photography subforum here on HTF -- here is the link: http://www.hometheat...03/hockeys-back . By the way, we had our first chance to see someone who may end up being the next Sidney Crosby, Mario Lemeiux, or Eric Lindros last night. Connor McDavid applied for something called "exceptional status" to the Ontario Hockey League last summer. Normally, players are drafted into the OHL when they are 16 years old, but McDavid applied for the draft at 15 years old, and was accepted due to his exceptional skills. This exception is granted very rarely in the Canadian juniors. McDavid was drafted first overall in the OHL draft by the Erie Otters, and leads his team in scoring in his first season, playing against guys as old as twenty-one. FYI, most 16 year olds do not get much, if any, ice time, yet Connor is centering Erie's #1 line this year at 15. He was in on all three Otters goals -- 1 goal, 2 assists -- in Erie's 4-3 overtime loss to our Whalers. You can read about McDavid's game last night here.

#42 of 355 ONLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,541 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 20 2013 - 11:43 PM

The Habs opened the season with a dreadful performance against Toronto that may have set back hockey 10 years. Luckily, I only caught the last 12 minutes of the game on CBC, as we had a Whalers game (which wasn't much better). It's only one game, but I have a feeling the Canadiens will be drafting rather high again this summer. The only consolation is that this is a very strong draft with some great looking prospects in the top 5. Maybe Edmonton will not get the #1 overall pick for once. ;)

#43 of 355 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,301 posts

Posted January 21 2013 - 12:46 AM

Scott, And we're approaching the fourth week of January, and the Bruins are still undefeated. ;)

#44 of 355 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,785 posts

Posted January 21 2013 - 02:17 AM

I carved out the 2012-13 posts and put them in this new thread.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#45 of 355 ONLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,541 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 21 2013 - 02:37 AM

Scott, And we're approaching the fourth week of January, and the Bruins are still undefeated. ;)

...and the Habs are still winless. :confused:

#46 of 355 ONLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,541 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 21 2013 - 03:34 AM

BTW, per the team's website, the following Plymouth Whalers alums made opening night NHL rosters: Rickard Rakell, Anaheim; Gregory Campbell and Tyler Seguin, Boston; Chad LaRose, Carolina; John Mitchell, Colorado; Jared Boll and James Wisniewski, Columbus; Stephen Weiss, Florida; Justin Williams, Los Angeles; David Legwand, Nashville; Tom Sestito, Philadelphia; James Neal, Pittsburgh; Michal Neuvirth, Washington; Chris Thorburn, Winnipeg.

#47 of 355 ONLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,541 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 22 2013 - 11:58 PM

It was nice to see Markov get two goals last night for the Habs. He's been through a lot of injury struggles the past couple of years. Their 18 year old rookie Alex Galchenyuk also scored his first NHL goal. I think he'll stick with the Canadiens for the entire season.

#48 of 355 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,301 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 01:55 AM

Scott, I was going to mention that your Habs won last night. ;) The hot topic on the sports program that I was listening to yesterday had to do with fighting in the NHL. With all of the concern these days with concussions in the NFL, the hosts were discussing whether or not fighting ought to be taken out of the NHL, and if it was, what ramifications (good or bad) would this have on the league. They pointed out that from the youth leagues on up to the college leagues, fighting isn't allowed. (They did add the proviso that they were talking solely about the U.S., and wanted their audience to know that they weren't sure of the rules in Canada with regard to the various leagues and fighting.) Several callers were saying that they would leave it as is, citing that the level (incidence) of fighting has decreased substantially over the past decade. (I was not aware of this.) The hosts also asked their audience if they would be more or less inclined to attend NHL games if fighting were not allowed any longer. The majority of those I heard responding to this last part said that fighting is integral to the game and that it ought to be left as is.

#49 of 355 ONLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,541 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 23 2013 - 02:50 AM

The topic of fighting is always a sensitive one. While it is still allowed in the Canadian juniors (OHL, WHL, QMJHL), there has been more discussion the past year or two about banning it at that level, too. Personally, I think the concussion and liability issues will eventually force fighting out of the sport completely, but I have no idea how many years that will take across all the remaining levels.

#50 of 355 ONLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,541 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 29 2013 - 12:33 AM

The Canadiens finally got Subban signed for the next two seasons. They also announced, to nobody's surprise, that Alex Galchenyuk and Brendan Gallagher will be staying with the Habs, and not get sent back down to the OHL and AHL, respectively. I have not had the chance to see Gallagher play yet, but Galchenyuk is going to be something special, IMO. While watching some of the Bruins - Hurricanes game on NHL network last night, I noticed they were playing their rookie Doug Hamilton on the power play. Is he playing that well, or is Boston just thin on defense?

#51 of 355 ONLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,541 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 03 2013 - 11:53 PM

Max Pacioretty returned to the ice yesterday, one week from having an appendectomy. The original prognosis was he would be out 3-4 weeks. Fans of a Habs message board are calling him Wolverine for his healing powers. :laugh: Montreal has looked better than I expected so far this season, as they are now 6-2. They swept back-to-back afternoon games this weekend, blowing out Buffalo and then winning a goaltender battle against Ottawa. The two rookies -- Galchenyuk and Gallagher -- have looked good so far. Next up is a Wednesday night matchup against the Bruins on NBCSports (formerly Versus).

#52 of 355 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,301 posts

Posted February 04 2013 - 04:19 AM

Scott, I was actually surprised by the Canadiens - Sabres score, especially after Buffalo dealt Boston their first loss in regulation (7-4) recently. I watched the nationally-televised game yesterday (Pittsburgh at Washington). There were a few times where Ovechkin was about four (maybe less) feet from the net with the puck, and he was stopped. I couldn't believe it. Anyway, please tell your Habs to have an off night in their next Wednesday night matchup. Thanks. ;)

#53 of 355 ONLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,541 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 04 2013 - 07:18 AM

Scott, I was actually surprised by the Canadiens - Sabres score, especially after Buffalo dealt Boston their first loss in regulation (7-4) recently. I watched the nationally-televised game yesterday (Pittsburgh at Washington). There were a few times where Ovechkin was about four (maybe less) feet from the net with the puck, and he was stopped. I couldn't believe it. Anyway, please tell your Habs to have an off night in their next Wednesday night matchup. Thanks. ;)

The game against the Sabres surprised me, too. Buffalo looked terrible, allowing Montreal to constantly drive to the net undefended. I would have felt sorry for Ryan Miller if he was playing against any other team. Ovechkin looks completely out of sorts to me. I'm not sure if it's all the different coaching styles the past few years, the big contract, or something else, but he's not the same player anymore. Sorry, Scott, but I'm sending "pep talk vibes" to the Canadiens for Wednesday's game. They already lost the opener against the Leafs, so I do not want to see two straight losses to our biggest rivals. They have a return match against Toronto on Saturday, too.

#54 of 355 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,301 posts

Posted February 04 2013 - 07:24 AM

The game against the Sabres surprised me, too. Buffalo looked terrible, allowing Montreal to constantly drive to the net undefended. I would have felt sorry for Ryan Miller if he was playing against any other team. Ovechkin looks completely out of sorts to me. I'm not sure if it's all the different coaching styles the past few years, the big contract, or something else, but he's not the same player anymore. Sorry, Scott, but I'm sending "pep talk vibes" to the Canadiens for Wednesday's game. They already lost the opener against the Leafs, so I do not want to see two straight losses to our biggest rivals. They have a return match against Toronto on Saturday, too.

Scott, Gosh, and we even did you a favor by defeating the Leafs recently, 1-0. ;)

#55 of 355 ONLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,541 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 04 2013 - 09:55 AM

Scott, Gosh, and we even did you a favor by defeating the Leafs recently, 1-0. ;)

:laugh: BTW, I was standing in front of a guy wearing a Bruins shirt at last weekend's Plymouth Whalers game. I had on my Habs coat, and told him I didn't think we were allowed to stand next to each other. His response was "it only would be a problem if you had on a Rangers coat". :laugh:

#56 of 355 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,301 posts

Posted February 07 2013 - 02:35 AM

Scott, A funny story. I've never had any animosity toward the Rangers. Now the Habs, on the other hand.... ;) Well, the Bruins rallied for a 2-1 win last night. I thank Rask for that as Montreal was peppering him throughout the game, and he was up to the challenge. As this season goes on, I wonder if the power play will be all that important to Boston. They didn't have a very strong one a couple of years ago when they won the Cup, but I sure wouldn't mind seeing it be a tad more effective than it has been for a couple of years now.

#57 of 355 ONLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,541 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 07 2013 - 04:25 AM

Rask was very good last night, and Boston came out like gangbusters in the 3rd period to take the lead. Montreal blew a few scoring opportunities (Plekanac breakaway, Desharnias missing two open shots, etc.). On the positive side, I have both Seguin and Krejci on my fantasy hockey team at work. :laugh: I didn't realize that Rask was a former Leaf. If you guys win another Cup, you need to send half of it to Toronto, or at least put Brian Burke's name on it. :laugh:

#58 of 355 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,513 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 07 2013 - 08:52 AM

We can't thank Burke for Tuukka -- we got him before Burke joined the Leafs (In trade for Andrew Raycroft, who's currently playing in Italy). I wonder if he'll be hired by a team with some juicy draft picks available. . .
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#59 of 355 ONLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,541 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 07 2013 - 01:44 PM

We can't thank Burke for Tuukka -- we got him before Burke joined the Leafs (In trade for Andrew Raycroft, who's currently playing in Italy). I wonder if he'll be hired by a team with some juicy draft picks available. . .

For Raycroft? Geez, that wasn't a steal, was it? In a bizarre CBA salary cap deal, Boston has traded Tim Thomas to the Islanders for a conditional 2nd round draft pick that they will never get. The Bruins clear some cap space, while this helps New York reach the salary cap floor without having to pay any real money. Boston only gets the draft pick if Thomas ends up playing for the Islanders, which will never happen. I wonder how they settled on a conditional 2nd round pick? Why not a couple 7th round conditional picks, or maybe six conditional 1st round picks? Now that would have been funny!

#60 of 355 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,301 posts

Posted February 18 2013 - 12:31 AM

Scott, You seem to know a lot of the AHL players. Have you heard of Wade MacLeod? http://espn.go.com/n...yer-seizure-ice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users