Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

NHL 2012-13 Season Discussion Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

#341 of 355 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,338 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 04 2013 - 05:35 PM

Wow, I never saw this coming.  I liked both Seguin and Peverley.  I understand some of the reasoning after reading the article, but that still doesn't take some of the sting away.

http://espn.go.com/n...-7-player-trade

I'd read rumors that Seguin may be dealt, but still am surprised the Bruins did this. Eriksson is a decent winger, but giving up both Seguin and Peverley is too much. This has a lot to do with Boston trying to manage the salary cap, but I think they are going to regret this.

On the plus side, I no longer have to feel conflicted about Seguin. I can now root for the former Plymouth Whaler freely now that he is no longer a hated Bruin. As a Habs fan, I think it's a great trade.

#342 of 355 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 8,963 posts

Posted July 05 2013 - 06:24 PM

Well, better late than never, I suppose. ;)

http://espn.go.com/b...l-boston-bruins

ockeghem2.jpg

#343 of 355 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,338 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 06 2013 - 05:49 AM

That's a lot of money for Iginla, but it's only for one year, so there is no long term harm. It is funny that he's coming to Boston after all the hate that went his way from Bruins fans after he spurned them at the trade deadline.

There was lots of player movement yesterday, and as usual some teams overpaid. Clarkson getting a 7 year contract from the Leafs and Clowe getting $5M+ for 5 years from New Jersey are the two most glaring ones. Clarkson is a decent third line two-way forward, but that is not worth the contract he got. I wasn't thrilled with the Habs signing Briere, but his 2 year contract is a bargain compared with some of the others.

A couple more Plymouth Whalers (current and former) were involved in deals yesterday. Stephen Weiss signed a 5 year deal with Detroit, and Stefan Noesen (Sen's 2011 first round draft pick) was sent to Anaheim as part of the Bobby Ryan trade to Ottawa. The Sens gave up a lot of the future for Ryan, which is something a team in "win now" mode does. Is Ottawa that close to being a true contender?

#344 of 355 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,536 posts

Posted July 11 2013 - 08:16 AM

Just checking in to see how Blackhawks fans feel about The Biebs.  :lol:

BOxebwJCUAA_aC5.jpg-large_crop_north_cro

And of course his infamous stand on the logo

BOyfLzOCcAAo_tQ.jpg

Oh, so that's the picture in Webster's Dictionary when you look up Douchebag!

#345 of 355 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,338 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 11 2013 - 12:16 PM

Carlo,

If I was a Hawks fan, that picture would have made me reconsider my allegiance.  :laugh:

Mike McCarron, Montreal's 1st round pick in this year's draft, has decided to back out of his commitment to Western Michigan University and will instead play in the OHL for the London Knights. As a Habs fan, I like this move, as it should be a better place for him to develop, and I'll get to see him play when the Knights visit Plymouth. As a Whalers fan, I'm not quite as happy, since London is the 800 pound gorilla of OHL, and I don't like to see them get even more talent. They now have 5 NHL 1st round draft picks (and 15 players who were NHL drafted) on the current roster.

Edited by Scott Merryfield, July 11 2013 - 12:17 PM.

#346 of 355 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,365 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 12 2013 - 06:41 AM

B's sign Tuukka *and* Bergy for the long haul. 8-year deals all 'round!  :D

Edited by Aaron Silverman, July 12 2013 - 06:41 AM.

• Ockeghem likes this
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#347 of 355 sean1976

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted July 14 2013 - 12:09 AM

Just checking in to see how Blackhawks fans feel about The Biebs.  :lol:

BOxebwJCUAA_aC5.jpg-large_crop_north_cro

And of course his infamous stand on the logo

BOyfLzOCcAAo_tQ.jpg

Oh, so that's the picture in Webster's Dictionary when you look up Douchebag!

" F*CK You Bill Clinton! " ... Lol

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves " -

Edward R. Murrow

#348 of 355 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 8,963 posts

Posted July 19 2013 - 11:29 AM

It will be interesting to have the Red Wings in the East. 

Here is the NHL opening night slate and division names.  There will also be a two-and-a-half week break (Feb. 9 - Feb. 26) for the Winter Games in Sochi, Russia.

http://espn.go.com/n...-division-names

Edited by Ockeghem, July 19 2013 - 11:31 AM.

ockeghem2.jpg

#349 of 355 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,338 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 20 2013 - 02:38 PM

It will be interesting to have the Red Wings in the East. 

Here is the NHL opening night slate and division names.  There will also be a two-and-a-half week break (Feb. 9 - Feb. 26) for the Winter Games in Sochi, Russia.

http://espn.go.com/n...-division-names

Gary Bettman needs a lesson in geography. The old Northeast Division is now the Atlantic Division with mostly non-Atlantic teams -- except for Boston and the two in Florida (but does hockey really matter in the Sunshine State anyway? ;) ). Meanwhile, the old Atlantic (with six Atlantic teams) is now the Metropolitan?

Yuck.

#350 of 355 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,365 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 25 2013 - 12:02 PM

(but does hockey really matter in the Sunshine State anyway? ;) )

For some people. ;)

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#351 of 355 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,338 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 26 2013 - 08:06 AM

The U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame announced their 2013 inductees. Amongst the better known inductees, such as Doug Weight and Bill Guerin, is the owner of the Carolina Hurricanes and my hometown Plymouth Whalers -- Peter Karmanos, Jr. You can read more here.

#352 of 355 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,365 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 29 2013 - 11:37 AM

That rat fink Karmanos belongs in the hall of SHAME.

#353 of 355 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,338 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 30 2013 - 04:42 AM

That rat fink Karmanos belongs in the hall of SHAME.

I know some people resent him for relocating the Hartford Whalers, but Karmanos's contributions to U.S. hockey go way beyond his ownership of an NHL team. He's been the driving force behind the Compuware youth hockey organization for almost 40 years, which is one of the top youth programs in the country. Some of the alumni from that program include Eric Lindros, Pat Lafontaine, Mike Modano, David Legwand, Al Iafrate, Kevin Hatcher, Derian Hatcher, Adam Graves, and James Wisniewski.

Karmanos also brought Canadian major junior hockey to the U.S. for the first time in 1990, with the OHL expansion Detroit Compuware Ambassadors. This team would later be renamed the Detroit Junior Red Wings, and eventually become the current Plymouth Whalers.

He also owns the Florida Everblades of the ECHL. So, Karmanos is involved with the sport at all levels, from youth to major junior to professional minor league to the NHL.

Edited by Scott Merryfield, July 30 2013 - 05:01 AM.

• Ockeghem likes this

#354 of 355 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 8,963 posts

Posted August 20 2013 - 02:45 PM

Scott,

I'm happy that Gretzky is with the Bruins.  I think this will be a good fit for him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/bruins/

Spoiler

ockeghem2.jpg

#355 of 355 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,338 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 21 2013 - 07:13 AM

Yes, the hockey news is pretty slow this time of year, Scott. The free agents have been signed, and everyone is just waiting for training camp to open. The season will be upon us sooner than we expect, though. The Whalers home opener just is four weeks from this Saturday! Summer is almost over. :wacko:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users