What's new

NHL 2012-13 Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The U.S. has reached the finals of the World Juniors Championship, soundly beating tournament favorite Canada 5-1 this morning. They will face Sweden in the finals, which will be shown live on the NHL Network at 8am EST on Saturday. A replay of today's win against Canada will be shown at 5:30pm EST today.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
The good news is that there's a tentative agreement. However, I don't know what this means as far as how many games of the regular season will be played. http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8817955/nhl-nhlpa-reach-tentative-agreement

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott, I was certain that I posted that the U. S. defeated Sweden at the Junior Hockey World Championships yesterday, but I can't find that post now. http://espn.go.com/olympics/hockey/story/_/id/8815425/united-states-defeats-sweden-junior-ice-hockey-world-championships-gold

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
The good news is that there's a tentative agreement. However, I don't know what this means as far as how many games of the regular season will be played. http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8817955/nhl-nhlpa-reach-tentative-agreement
I think the plan is for a 48 game season, with the playoffs extending until near the end of June. Training camps are going to be abbreviated, which means that most players from the juniors will probably not even be called up for camp. I am interested to see what Montreal decides with Galchenyuk, as he plays for Sarnia in the OHL. The Whalers are in a battle for the division lead with Sarnia, and his departure would certainly help my home team. Supposedly, the rules for next summer's entry draft will be altered, too. All teams that fail to make the playoffs will have a weighted chance of getting the #1 overall pick, and there will be no "maximum four spot drop" protection, either -- i.e. the team with the worst overall record could end up picking as low as #14. There should be a lot of happy fans this morning. There were two people sitting next to us attending their first Whalers game last night. They were Red Wings season ticket holders who were there for a "hockey fix". We have seen quite a few of these type fans at games this season. Is Tim Thomas sticking to his plan on retiring for Boston?
Ockeghem said:
Scott, I was certain that I posted that the U. S. defeated Sweden at the Junior Hockey World Championships yesterday, but I can't find that post now. http://espn.go.com/olympics/hockey/story/_/id/8815425/united-states-defeats-sweden-junior-ice-hockey-world-championships-gold
I watched the game yesterday morning on the NHL Network. It was nice to see the U.S. pull it out. Former Whaler J.T. Miller played well in the tournament, and current Whaler Ryan Hartman got a decent amount of playing time. The U.S. seems to have Sweden's number, as many of these same players beat Sweden each of the last two years in the gold medal game of the U18 world championships. Sweden will be the host for next year's tournament. Canada, the pre-tournament favorite, failed to win a medal for the first time in 15 years. Canadian fans are not happy.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Bruins fans must be depressed, as the Leafs have fired their favorite trading patsy... Brian Burke. :) His replacement is the former Canucks GM who traded for Luongo. Those Luongo to Toronto rumors just started up again.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Listening to sports radio this morning, I learned that there are a few Grand Rapids Griffins (and several players from other AHL teams) wondering if they will be going to their respective NHL training camps this weekend. A couple of players from the Griffins are quite excited that they are going to get the chance. I remember not too long ago when Jimmy Howard and Justin Abdelkader were called up. I think Abdelkader was a great addition to the Red Wings roster. Howard had a hot streak too for a time, but he seems to have cooled off a bit over the past two years. The 48-game regular season begins next weekend. I am really looking forward to it. I expect the first few weeks of NHL hockey to be a bit ... ugly. But I'm glad it's back! :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Three Plymouth Whalers were called up for training camps in Anaheim (Rickard Rakell), Washington (Tom Wilson) and Ottawa (Stefan Noesen), which starts Sunday. All, however, are expected to be returned to the OHL Whalers when the NHL regular season starts. While I am happy for the players, it's especially disruptive this time of year. Plymouth just got Rakell back from the World Junior Championship for Wednesday's game, and Noesen was returning tonight from a 10 game suspension that prevented him from playing for the U.S. in that same WJC. This is actually a small number, since there are 9 or 10 Whalers who have been drafted by NHL teams. Most, if not all, of them would have received camp invites in a normal NHL season. With the very short camp this year, though, NHL teams have really limited the prospects they are bringing in, since they will not have much time to evaluate them in camp. In the Whalers case, each of the invitees were first round draft choices of their respective teams. All the non-invitees were taken in later rounds.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Detroit Red Wings opened up their training camp at Compuware Arena, which is normally home to my hometown Plymouth Whalers. My wife and I decided to check it out for awhile. I posted some photos in the Photography subforum here on HTF -- here is the link: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/326803/hockeys-back . By the way, we had our first chance to see someone who may end up being the next Sidney Crosby, Mario Lemeiux, or Eric Lindros last night. Connor McDavid applied for something called "exceptional status" to the Ontario Hockey League last summer. Normally, players are drafted into the OHL when they are 16 years old, but McDavid applied for the draft at 15 years old, and was accepted due to his exceptional skills. This exception is granted very rarely in the Canadian juniors. McDavid was drafted first overall in the OHL draft by the Erie Otters, and leads his team in scoring in his first season, playing against guys as old as twenty-one. FYI, most 16 year olds do not get much, if any, ice time, yet Connor is centering Erie's #1 line this year at 15. He was in on all three Otters goals -- 1 goal, 2 assists -- in Erie's 4-3 overtime loss to our Whalers. You can read about McDavid's game last night here.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Habs opened the season with a dreadful performance against Toronto that may have set back hockey 10 years. Luckily, I only caught the last 12 minutes of the game on CBC, as we had a Whalers game (which wasn't much better). It's only one game, but I have a feeling the Canadiens will be drafting rather high again this summer. The only consolation is that this is a very strong draft with some great looking prospects in the top 5. Maybe Edmonton will not get the #1 overall pick for once. ;)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott, And we're approaching the fourth week of January, and the Bruins are still undefeated. ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
BTW, per the team's website, the following Plymouth Whalers alums made opening night NHL rosters: Rickard Rakell, Anaheim; Gregory Campbell and Tyler Seguin, Boston; Chad LaRose, Carolina; John Mitchell, Colorado; Jared Boll and James Wisniewski, Columbus; Stephen Weiss, Florida; Justin Williams, Los Angeles; David Legwand, Nashville; Tom Sestito, Philadelphia; James Neal, Pittsburgh; Michal Neuvirth, Washington; Chris Thorburn, Winnipeg.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It was nice to see Markov get two goals last night for the Habs. He's been through a lot of injury struggles the past couple of years. Their 18 year old rookie Alex Galchenyuk also scored his first NHL goal. I think he'll stick with the Canadiens for the entire season.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott, I was going to mention that your Habs won last night. ;) The hot topic on the sports program that I was listening to yesterday had to do with fighting in the NHL. With all of the concern these days with concussions in the NFL, the hosts were discussing whether or not fighting ought to be taken out of the NHL, and if it was, what ramifications (good or bad) would this have on the league. They pointed out that from the youth leagues on up to the college leagues, fighting isn't allowed. (They did add the proviso that they were talking solely about the U.S., and wanted their audience to know that they weren't sure of the rules in Canada with regard to the various leagues and fighting.) Several callers were saying that they would leave it as is, citing that the level (incidence) of fighting has decreased substantially over the past decade. (I was not aware of this.) The hosts also asked their audience if they would be more or less inclined to attend NHL games if fighting were not allowed any longer. The majority of those I heard responding to this last part said that fighting is integral to the game and that it ought to be left as is.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The topic of fighting is always a sensitive one. While it is still allowed in the Canadian juniors (OHL, WHL, QMJHL), there has been more discussion the past year or two about banning it at that level, too. Personally, I think the concussion and liability issues will eventually force fighting out of the sport completely, but I have no idea how many years that will take across all the remaining levels.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Canadiens finally got Subban signed for the next two seasons. They also announced, to nobody's surprise, that Alex Galchenyuk and Brendan Gallagher will be staying with the Habs, and not get sent back down to the OHL and AHL, respectively. I have not had the chance to see Gallagher play yet, but Galchenyuk is going to be something special, IMO. While watching some of the Bruins - Hurricanes game on NHL network last night, I noticed they were playing their rookie Doug Hamilton on the power play. Is he playing that well, or is Boston just thin on defense?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Max Pacioretty returned to the ice yesterday, one week from having an appendectomy. The original prognosis was he would be out 3-4 weeks. Fans of a Habs message board are calling him Wolverine for his healing powers. :laugh: Montreal has looked better than I expected so far this season, as they are now 6-2. They swept back-to-back afternoon games this weekend, blowing out Buffalo and then winning a goaltender battle against Ottawa. The two rookies -- Galchenyuk and Gallagher -- have looked good so far. Next up is a Wednesday night matchup against the Bruins on NBCSports (formerly Versus).

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott, I was actually surprised by the Canadiens - Sabres score, especially after Buffalo dealt Boston their first loss in regulation (7-4) recently. I watched the nationally-televised game yesterday (Pittsburgh at Washington). There were a few times where Ovechkin was about four (maybe less) feet from the net with the puck, and he was stopped. I couldn't believe it. Anyway, please tell your Habs to have an off night in their next Wednesday night matchup. Thanks. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks