Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Following Season 1

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#41 of 87 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,207 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted January 28 2013 - 05:37 PM

I'll rephrase and add to it... I don't think she's "inside". I think she was a student(in hindsight I should have said, "of his work"...didn't mean doe eyed college girl) and has her own...outside the realm of her job...agenda. As in be "the next Hardy".

#42 of 87 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,175 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 29 2013 - 12:15 AM

I don't think she's "inside". I think she was a student(in hindsight I should have said, "of his work"...didn't mean doe eyed college girl) and has her own...outside the realm of her job...agenda. As in be "the next Hardy".

That'd be my guess. I still expect a mole somewhere along the way but if it was her, I think the reveal would have been less ambiguous and it would have been a betrayal at an important point in the investigation.

#43 of 87 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,832 posts

Posted January 29 2013 - 07:35 AM

I guess infrared heat scanners are too costly for the FBI? It would suss out a lot of "surprise" guests in these people's homes. I kept wonder why they don't take these people (Sarah, and the wife) to safehouses. It's just weird to me.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#44 of 87 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,889 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Patrick Sun 

I guess infrared heat scanners are too costly for the FBI? It would suss out a lot of "surprise" guests in these people's homes.

I kept wonder why they don't take these people (Sarah, and the wife) to safehouses. It's just weird to me.

And I'm still trying to figure out how the bloated cop made it from the basement to the attic in the wife's house.

#45 of 87 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,587 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted January 31 2013 - 02:43 AM

I couldn't help thinking of the T2 mental hospital scene in that moment he jumps the cop, even though it unfolds in the reverse (ceiling instead of the floor).

So maybe bloated cop was also a shape shifting Terminator? Posted Image

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#46 of 87 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,889 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron Yee 

I couldn't help thinking of the T2 mental hospital scene in that moment he jumps the cop, even though it unfolds in the reverse (ceiling instead of the floor).

So maybe bloated cop was also a shape shifting Terminator? Posted Image

Yeah and apparently his people can shape shift from the wall as well, as that masked dude did next to the shelf of other masks.

#47 of 87 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,454 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 04 2013 - 02:29 PM

The USA Today TV critic called it this morning, and I tend to agree with him. These crack FBI agents are really coming off as inept. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the thrill of someone we trust turning out to be a maniac is already getting old only a few episodes into the season. They cannot keep resorting to this tactic for their surprises and keep me as an audience member.

#48 of 87 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,653 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 12:52 PM

its Three and Out for me. There is just too much stupidity and sickness for me. I mean, yeah, they didn't know she was a bad guy, but having just ONE person 'protecting' her? And no one watching the backyard? Plus, it seems likes its glorifying the sickness. Not my cup of tea. And what kind of end-game can the show have? Either we go through years and years of the good guys failing, or they succeed, and the show ends. No longer gonna waste my time. David

#49 of 87 OFFLINE   Walt48

Walt48

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted February 07 2013 - 08:26 AM

I think this is one of the better network shows. Dexter, move over.

#50 of 87 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,889 posts

Posted February 07 2013 - 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by David Weicker 

its Three and Out for me. There is just too much stupidity and sickness for me.

I mean, yeah, they didn't know she was a bad guy, but having just ONE person 'protecting' her? And no one watching the backyard?

Yeah, it's pretty bad.  And maybe they didn't know she was a bad guy, but I'd be willing to bet 99% of the audience did.  It's all just very poorly done, but I guess it's to be expected from a network show.  Probably it's only redeeming quality is James Purefoy plays a killer sociopath (pun intended).

#51 of 87 OFFLINE   Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

• 764 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 01:35 AM

its Three and Out for me. There is just too much stupidity and sickness for me. I mean, yeah, they didn't know she was a bad guy, but having just ONE person 'protecting' her? And no one watching the backyard? Plus, it seems likes its glorifying the sickness. Not my cup of tea. And what kind of end-game can the show have? Either we go through years and years of the good guys failing, or they succeed, and the show ends. No longer gonna waste my time. David

I called this show DOA before it even started for numerous reasons. So far I am batting 1000 on TV shows the past several years. Called "Last Resort" early on too. While it's too early to know, looks like I may still be keeping my track record.

#52 of 87 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,889 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 01:45 AM

I thought it was doing pretty well in the ratings?

EDIT: Zap2it is calling it all but renewed: http://tvbythenumber...-to-be-renewed/

Jeffery, looks like your streak might be over. Posted Image

Although I still don't know if I'd call it a certainty.  The show has gotten progressively worse so maybe the numbers will fall off the cliff?

#53 of 87 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,175 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 08 2013 - 01:50 AM

I thought it was doing pretty well in the ratings?

It is. Looking at Wikipedia, it's pulling in 9 to 10 million viewers each week which probably puts it in the Top 25 or 30 shows on TV. Fox will never cancel a show pulling in those numbers. That being said, Alcatraz started out strong last year too so a good start isn't a guarantee. As of now though, The Following seems to be holding on to viewers unlike Alcatraz.

#54 of 87 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,587 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted February 11 2013 - 07:16 AM

I'm not sure if I'm really enjoying the show either, and can understand the distaste for the gruesome where there's really no redeeming elements so far. Normally I don't shy away from this kind of material, but it seems like it's just sort of venturing into the darkness without giving it any kind of dimensionality. The whole Poe thing also isn't working for me. It's too obvious a source of inspiration for the genius Purefoy's character is supposed to be. It's actually proving Sherlock's point on "Elementary" that serial killers are just a bunch of mouth breathers and onanists.

There was a pretty dumb plot point with the whole credit card statement. What credit card statement (actually bank statement based on the closeup) shows an itemized list of what was purchased? There was actually "Nerf football" on the statement, with no merchant info.

#55 of 87 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,454 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 11 2013 - 09:01 AM

I think tonight will be the make-or-break episode for me in terms of sticking with it or dropping it from my line-up. That will be four episodes (not quite 1/3 of its season) and enough for me to see if I want to stick around to see where they go with it.

#56 of 87 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,587 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted February 12 2013 - 05:27 PM

So what was the verdict? My DVR had a conflict on Monday, so it won't record the episode until the repeat on Friday night.

#57 of 87 OFFLINE   MikeFR

MikeFR

Supporting Actor

• 595 posts

Posted February 12 2013 - 06:27 PM

This show is just a series of silly events leading to more silly events. It's just one thing after another. The whole plot is just a continuous string of dumb decisions. I can forgive the odd plot hole, but it just seems like every plot point is so contrived - from big things like the woman getting away last week, to little things like the asian girl letting the door slam during her escape. I'm also tired of the "horror movie" suspense and people putting themselves in stupid situations. The entire scene at the restaurant was ridiculous with the FBI agent just sitting around outside doing nothing in order to extend the "drama" inside. I was sceptical going into this, but thought maybe it would surprise. I'll give it one more, only because I'm not watching much off the PVR at the moment.

#58 of 87 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,454 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 13 2013 - 12:00 AM

I think I'm done with it. My DVR failed to record it, too, Monday night, so I watched it On Demand last night, and there was so much that was ridiculous about both the Asian woman kidnapping story and the threat against his sister. I'll admit there have been one or more jump moments in each episode, but that's not enough to keep me around. Someone somewhere needs to be showing some intelligence and a sense of rational thought about what to do. I also got really tired of the piled-on flashbacks crammed into the last quarter hour. Overkill to stretch out the "surprise" revelations, and when they were revealed, I didn't care.

#59 of 87 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 16,847 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted February 13 2013 - 01:51 AM

I'm still enjoying it despite the minor weak points.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#60 of 87 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,889 posts

Posted February 16 2013 - 06:59 AM

This show is really frustrating to watch because of the ridiculous decisions a lot of the characters make in an attempt to advance the plot.  One prime example this week was the girl running off...and the best place she can think of to go is inside of a barn on the property?  That was worse than some of the decisions the characters make in those really low budget horror movies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users