Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Following Season 1

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 of 87 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,644 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted January 22 2013 - 08:38 AM

I thought it had some legs, but having Poe as a muse seems kind of an obvious way to go, which ties back to what people were saying about the mediocrity.

Regarding the popularity of this kind of fare, there's more to come with NBC's "Hannibal" up next (though there's apparently no premiere date yet).

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#22 of 87 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,466 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted January 22 2013 - 08:47 AM

And the fever pitch that surrounded Hitchcock...and what "everybody hoped" was finally going to happen...:rolleyes:

#23 of 87 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted January 22 2013 - 03:41 PM

I'm going to pass, it looks well produced, has great talent, but the majority of what I watch is proceedurals and I'm getting a bit burned out on killingand violence I think, when hollywood turns a fairy tale like Hansel and Gretal into a balls to the wall killing fest it may be time to step back. I like the walking dead, but your right Zombie Fantasy violence is a different level from the realistic real world stuff on display here. Plus I think Purefoy should've gotten a better shake thanto star as a serial killer
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#24 of 87 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted January 22 2013 - 03:43 PM

Really? Actual events won't effect what people want to watch? I think if a network had put out a series in 1964 about the Secret Service trying to locate and stop a would-be presidential assassin, it would have flopped. I think a series about terrorist attack released in 2002 would have faired poorly. There's such a thing as "hitting to close to home." I'm not saying this series is like that, I haven't seen it. Real life can and does effect what the public will watch.

well it was called 24 and it was a pretty big hit.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#25 of 87 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,902 posts

Posted January 22 2013 - 04:02 PM

Hmm...it was okay I guess.  A little too networky/procedural for me, but they did keep the suspense high.  I like the idea of the main guy being in prison while this is all going on.

To what Schan was saying, there are sure to be plenty of "moles" along the way.  I called the nanny as one right away.  They spent too much time on her for it not to mean something.  I'll admit I didn't see the gay couple.  I thought they would be dead.

#26 of 87 OFFLINE   Joe_H

Joe_H

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 03:33 AM

I'm not sure yet; I didn't hate it, but we'll see in another few episodes. As far as the violence is concerned, that didn't bother me at all... what I find that they really need to tone down are the blatant, repeated mentions of Edgar Allan Poe, as if nobody had ever heard of any of his works before this. If they specifically refer to his pacemaker as his 'telltale heart' at any point, I might have to immediately turn it off in disgust. :D

#27 of 87 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 06:09 AM

I enjoyed the pilot. Highly derivative, of course; it's Silence of the Copycats - but that didn't make it bad. I always have time for Bacon and Purefoy, and Kevin Williamson is a very good writer imho. I'm probably sticking with this show till the end. :)

#28 of 87 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,587 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 23 2013 - 08:33 AM

The pilot did very well in the ratings and the second half hour went up in ratings which is a very good sign: people weren't tuning out because of the violence. Let's see if it can sustain those numbers in the weeks ahead.

#29 of 87 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,053 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted January 23 2013 - 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by PhilipG 

I enjoyed the pilot. Highly derivative, of course; it's Silence of the Copycats - but that didn't make it bad. I always have time for Bacon and Purefoy, and Kevin Williamson is a very good writer imho. I'm probably sticking with this show till the end. Posted Image

I don't think they are copy cats at all.  More like Jim Jones cult members (thus the title).   They are just taking direction from him through whatever means.    Frankly, that's the part that is pretty creepy.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#30 of 87 OFFLINE   MikeFR

MikeFR

Supporting Actor

• 595 posts

Posted January 24 2013 - 09:11 AM

This has "follower of the week" written all over it. I'll give it a few more, but the pilot was pretty standard police procedural with the catch being that it stars Kevin Bacon. It might end up surprising me, but when was the last time a network show did that?

#31 of 87 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,902 posts

Posted January 24 2013 - 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFR 

This has "follower of the week" written all over it. I'll give it a few more, but the pilot was pretty standard police procedural with the catch being that it stars Kevin Bacon.
  I got that vibe too, but the previews for next week seem to indicate this might not be the case.  If it is a "follower of the week", I will lose interest quickly.  

Originally Posted by MikeFR 

It might end up surprising me, but when was the last time a network show did that?

For me, it was probably 'Arrested Development'.

#32 of 87 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted January 25 2013 - 01:08 AM

I don't think they are copy cats at all.  More like Jim Jones cult members (thus the title). 

I was referring to the very end of the movie, Copycat, where [SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]the imprisoned serial killer is grooming a follower. The difference is, in this series the killer has Internet![/SPOILER] :)

#33 of 87 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,891 posts

Posted January 27 2013 - 03:54 PM

Was anyone else surprised when Maggie Grace's movie dad Bryan, who has a particular set of skills, didn't just show up and deal with Carroll. End of show. :)
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#34 of 87 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,587 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 28 2013 - 08:24 AM

Maybe if the show doesn't keep consistent ratings, that's the way they'll cancel it. :)

#35 of 87 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,466 posts

Posted January 28 2013 - 08:41 AM

Was anyone else surprised when Maggie Grace's movie dad Bryan, who has a particular set of skills, didn't just show up and deal with Carroll. End of show. :)

Maybe there will be a third time...:rolleyes:

#36 of 87 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,587 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 28 2013 - 02:28 PM

I have to say that I'm not an advocate for murder, but I couldn't feel too bad for the girl killing such a horrendously judgmental, vapid mother. Again this week, the surprises weren't that much of a surprise, but it held my interest enough for me to stick around another week.

#37 of 87 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,318 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 28 2013 - 03:15 PM

As a horror movie fan, I've a million masked killers but I have to say that the Poe mask is really great looking. It's like the Michael Myers mask where it captures the right blend of looking like a human and inhuman or dead at the same time.

#38 of 87 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,466 posts

Posted January 28 2013 - 03:19 PM

I wonder if Parisse's character was a student...

#39 of 87 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,671 posts

Posted January 28 2013 - 03:38 PM

I wonder if Parisse's character was a student...

If she is, that is the moment I stop watching. I am so tired of the inside man plot. Its been done so often that it no longer is a surprise. I end up being distracted by waiting for the betrayal.

#40 of 87 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,053 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted January 28 2013 - 05:02 PM

If she is the inside man I'm done too.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users