Jump to content

Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Electrical questions.

  • You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 Guest__*

  • Join Date: --

Posted January 20 2013 - 07:23 AM

Hey guys, we are moving into a new house pretty soon. One issue that was brought to our attention is that the wall sockets aren't properly grounded, we will eventually get everything up to par. In the mean time, what can I do to protect our valuable electronics? Will a standard surge strip do the job or do I need to look into something else? I was at the hardware store and didn't quite know what I was looking at lol. Thank you for any advice!

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   schan1269


    HTF Expert

  • 16,755 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 04 2012
  • Real Name:Sam
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted January 20 2013 - 07:28 AM

Surge are useless without a ground. Get one of these... http://www.amazon.co...surge protector (no, not this one...hire an electrician and trust what they put in)

#3 of 3 Guest__*

  • Join Date: --

Posted January 20 2013 - 07:32 AM

Yea, that's what I thought. The house inspector mentioned GFCI's as a temporary thing but we are definitely going to have an electrician come in. So no fancy pants strips or anything that will do any good without the plug being grounded already?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users