• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,998 posts

Posted January 20 2013 - 12:31 AM

During the entire month of January and February Home Theater Forum will be asking our membership to nominate and then vote upon the BEST and WORST Blu-ray releases of 2012. What makes our awards so important is that they aren't voted from within the industry by committees or journalists. The selection of these awards begin and end with the HTF membership -- those individuals that know Blu-ray better than anyone else!

VOTE FOR THE TOP NOMINATED TITLES: January 20-March 3rd

Winners Will be announced March 4th

PLEASE READ THESE RULES VERY CAREFULLY

You may only vote once per category
Discussion is allowed in these threads

WORST BOXED SET?

What Blu-ray Boxed Set released in 2012 represents total neglect from the studio in packaging/features?

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,919 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted January 20 2013 - 09:41 AM

funny that two of the noms for best are also noms for worst, Fox sort of dropped the ball concering Monroe, (crappy packaging aside) but the real shame in all of this is the Hitchcock Box, what could have been, was replaced by, well this is what you get. when announce i was expecting this to be box of the year material, just didnt figure it would be in this catagory Posted Image

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#3 of 7 ONLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,532 posts

Posted January 20 2013 - 02:29 PM

It seems in regards to the Marilyn set, that it comes down to packaging. It would be cool if we had a worst packaging/cover art category. I think the real war is between Bond and Alfred. Since they have inconsistent movies/transfers that people are displeased with. and the war could be between Indy and Blade Runner as not including certain extras people were hoping for or should have been in there. The complete neglect would be Alfred Hitchcock. Universal really neglected the set which should have been given more care and respect.

all-banner.jpg

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 835 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted January 20 2013 - 03:27 PM

This is the most important multi-disk Blu-ray set ever made in terms of the quality and importance of the films. The work is far less than studios like Warners and Sony put into their low-volume titles.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Nick*Z

Nick*Z

Stunt Coordinator

• 224 posts

Posted January 28 2013 - 05:24 AM

It's tough to choose because there's so much awful stuff out there. Hitchcock and Marilyn are at the top of my list. For me Marilyn's misfire is about far more than packaging. I found none of the transfers to be flawless. Some weren't even adequate. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes has way too much DNR applied. There's No Business Like Show Business had hints of chroma bleeding and noise. The Seven Year Itch's screen caps during the menu actually looked better than the film (I'm still wondering where those screen caps came from - clearly not the transfer as represented). River of No Return's colors were just off. Too blue and beige and piggy pink flesh tones. Yuck! Worse, this collection was hardly what I would deem comprehensive. What's the point of having a Marilyn box without Niagara, Bus Stop and Don't Bother to Knock, to say nothing of the minor Monroe efforts like Let's Make It Legal, Let's Make Love and Monkey Business. Even O'Henry's Playhouse was included in the Monroe DVD box set offering from Fox, though even there Fox omitted River of No Return without any rhyme or reason. Hitchcock MC was so obvious it hurt. I mean, how do you release one of the master's most fondly remembered and beloved films: The Man Who Knew Too Much looking so utterly wrong on virtually every level - color balancing and density the most glaringly obvious misfires. We won't talk about the weird pixelization happening on Marnie. I can't watch either film in its current hi-def incarnation. Ditto for Family Plot - although I confess, I was never a fan of that movie anyway - perfect transfer or not. Vertigo didn't upset me quite as much as it has some, although I will concede its another sloppy offering if we're going for overall perfection - which is what Universal ought to have been aiming for and missed the mark by at least a hundred miles. The whole teal and sepia thing happening on Paramount's Raiders left me feeling cheated, I must say. Those long shots of Washington DC near the end, as well as most of what's going on inside the Mayan cave in the beginning DO NOT look anything like they did in the original theatrical presentation. Who fell asleep at the controls on the mountain and how can I apply for their job? I'm still trying to decide how I feel about Bond 50. Overall - yes. Occasionally - no. Could'a, would'a, should'a...oh hell, I need a vodka martini - shaken...not stirred!

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,998 posts

Posted March 02 2013 - 12:56 AM

No doubt Hitchcock will be the worst boxed set of the year.  Last days to cast your vote.  Winners will be posted Monday.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Will*B

Will*B

Second Unit

• 470 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted March 02 2013 - 02:50 AM

VERY tough to choose between Bond 50 and Hitchcock. I own both, and am severely disappointed by both.

On reflection however, due to the fact I've always been a huge Bond fan, as well as the fact that they'll get more viewing-time than Hitchcock in my house, I've voted for Bond 50.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users