Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

VOTE 2012: What Title Would You Like To See Released in 2013?

HTF Awards 2012

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 of 31 philip*eric

philip*eric

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted January 28 2013 - 06:20 PM

PORGY AND BESS -- because it is unavailable for most of us to see in any form -- and it deserves be seen again + in the future.. last years winner RAINTREE COUNTY is available on Laserdisc, video and televised on TCM --- although I would love to see a restored roadshow BR release too THE GREAT RACE is available on dvd in an excellent transfer as is RYANS DAUGHTER -- so these would be easy to put on BR

#22 of 31 OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,521 posts

Posted January 28 2013 - 06:37 PM

I was largely lurking at the time and didn't pay attention to the voting last yeear, but did a quick search and found that it was the 2012 winner. Let's hope it gets released this year so it won't have to be a contender for next year's voting. ;)

I would hope that I do not have to vote for it each year. In my opinion once a movie was declared the winner it should not be egligible for voting after that as many people, me included, will be reluctant to vote for it a second time. It would be nice however to include previous first place winners that have yet to be released with the final results of each new poll, as a reminder to the studios. Not sure yet what to vote but I am astonished that The Abyss again gets so many votes - it will come and its release depends on Cameron anyway so it is not likely we would do anything to speed up the release process or to bring it back into the studios memory. After all it never was forgotten in the first place.

#23 of 31 Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted January 28 2013 - 09:10 PM

The Big Sleep of course. Why isn't this out on blu-ray yet?:confused:

or to have and have not, or key largo

Agreed. The Big Sleep and Key Largo both need to be released on Blu-ray ASAP.

#24 of 31 Spencer Draper

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted February 26 2013 - 04:40 AM

The Big Sleep would get my vote along with all the other Bogie classics from WB, especially since recently revisiting the DVD and noticing the source print does have more wear than usual for classic 40's era Warner material. But I voted for Ryan's Daughter which is now the sole David Lean epic not on BD. I have both the LD and DVD and would like to make it three for three. The DVD was excellent and I don't think much work would have to be done to utilize the HD master struck for it. Of course it isn't the most popular of films but I've always had great fondness for it.

#25 of 31 Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 833 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 04:46 AM

I can't believe The Abyss won this... For shame! :(

#26 of 31 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,423 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 04:57 AM

"Porgy and Bess" since it's never been released on Home Video or played on TV on over 40 years.

#27 of 31 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,354 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted February 26 2013 - 05:27 AM

Porgy and Bess

#28 of 31 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,063 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 26 2013 - 09:55 AM

The Abyss will get its inevitable release no matter what, so I voted for The Big Sleep.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#29 of 31 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,832 posts

Posted March 02 2013 - 12:52 AM

Quote:
The Abyss will get its inevitable release no matter what, so I voted for The Big Sleep.

Brandon, agreed.  I would have put my vote elsewhere knowing that the film

is on schedule for Blu-ray release.

BTW, last days to cast your vote if you haven't already.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#30 of 31 Nick*Z

Nick*Z

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted March 02 2013 - 04:57 AM

Disappointing to see The Abyss win this one. It only serves to fuel the myth that there's no market for lesser known classics in hi-def.

#31 of 31 David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,420 posts

Posted March 03 2013 - 04:38 PM

The Big Sleep. More Bogie and Hawks, please!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users