• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,994 posts

Posted January 19 2013 - 11:23 PM

During the entire month of January and February Home Theater Forum will be asking our membership to nominate and then vote upon the BEST and WORST Blu-ray releases of 2012. What makes our awards so important is that they aren't voted from within the industry by committees or journalists. The selection of these awards begin and end with the HTF membership -- those individuals that know Blu-ray better than anyone else!

VOTE FOR THE TOP NOMINATED TITLES: January 20-March 3rd

Winners Will be announced March 4th

PLEASE READ THESE RULES VERY CAREFULLY

You may only vote once per category
Discussion is allowed in these threads

Note: Usually only 5 studios get nominated however the member choices were so close we added one more studio to this category

BEST STUDIO/DISTRIBUTOR 2012

What Studio/Distributor consistently released the best Blu-ray product over the past year?

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,529 posts

Posted January 20 2013 - 12:16 PM

I voted for Warner Brothers as Criterion is almost a given that they are always excellent. Warner Brothers does a good job with their catalog titles.

all-banner.jpg

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Nick*Z

Nick*Z

Stunt Coordinator

• 224 posts

Posted January 28 2013 - 06:08 AM

Okay, I voted for Sony. Truly, I've never been disappointed with a disc from Sony. Not Lawrence, or Guns of Navarone, or Taxi Driver, A League of Their Own, Annie, Dr. Strangelove, et al. I think Sony has set a standard - not surprising since they darn well invented Blu-ray technology. I appreciate Warner's consistency in output, but I find their quality from time to time an issue. The Bad Seed wasn't what I expected, and neither was Dead Ringer or Coma. Warner has sooooo much catalogue under its roof its difficult to decide what to restore and when to restore it. I have to give WB a big hug for Grand Hotel which has never looked this good on home video before. Many thanks. But I had issues with the audio at the start of my Mrs. Miniver and found elements of Driving Miss Daisy problematic (check out the scene where Daisy and Hoke are pulled over at the side of the road and eating lunch on route to Mobile and you'll see some odd - if very faint - color strobe). They also had some weirdness going on with The Bonfire of the Vanities; picture flicker or something during the infamous 'photocopying' scene. I'm also not sure how WB can justify another snatch and money grab for The Best Years of Our Lives, Wuthering Heights and The Bishop's Wife on DVD at the start of 2013 - utterly flawed elements, disastrous mastering borrowed from the Fox/MGM acquisition and merely repackaged to reflect the new Goldwyn Studio logo. What was the rush with The Bishop's Wife reissue? A Christmas release reissued in the middle of January?!?! Okay, Zanuck released Miracle on 34th Street in July theatrically. But I won't go there any more than I'd contemplate releasing Yankee Doodle Dandy on any other date other than the 4th of July. With the Blu-ray release of Goldwyn's Guys and Dolls and Hans Christian Andersen I thought we were on a solid road to recovery for the Samuel Goldwyn titles. Could be I was mistaken! So, does WB do a good job? Sure. Could they do better? Hey fellas, there's always room for improvement.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 835 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted January 28 2013 - 06:22 AM

Warners has done a lot of decent work. The size of their library gives them many opportunities for success, and they have done pretty well. In contrast, Sony has done a spectacular job with a smaller number of titles to work with. Not just Lawrence: important but ignored titles like Picnic, and titles we never thought we would see in Blu-ray like Lost Horizon (1973) and Experiment in Terror with a new stereo soundtrack. Wow. Some of these are through other distributors, but it is Sony's work that we are seeing.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,994 posts

Posted March 02 2013 - 12:54 AM

Close call between Warner and Criterion.  Last days to cast your vote.  Winners will be posted Monday.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Anthony Neilson

Anthony Neilson

Tony N

• 1,020 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted March 03 2013 - 11:27 AM

Warners do a pretty good job but it's soured for me by the fact that they keep re-releasing films without significant upgrade, whilst so many of their great films remain neglected. I also have to say that their policy towards the UK verges on the contemptuous - no direct access to their Archive programmes and only a third, at best, of their pressed releases being distributed here. We also miss out on any kind of special packaging. The other distributors have all released impressive product but all have their disadvantages. Whereas - given it's a US company - there is just no down-side to Criterion. Yes, they're a little pricey but at least you know you're paying for a quality package through and through. I don't really know how any right-minded person can vote another way, to be honest. Excellence should never become unremarkable. I get the point about wanting to encourage other studios but surely that same point is made by awarding Criterion. They set the bar and very few releases from the others match up to even their lesser efforts.
I've been going to bed early . . .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users