• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 of 56 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Advanced Member

• 37,277 posts

Posted January 26 2013 - 01:56 AM

Quote:
Ron, I've always wondered why they left the shot of Powell's eyelid twitching in that scene. I guess they didn't see it? Hard to believe...

I wasn't certain if I was the only one who caught that.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#42 of 56 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted February 27 2014 - 08:50 AM

Will this great mini series make it to Blu-ray this Easter. The movie Son Of God opens Friday. I plan to go see it. I would just like to add the mini series to my collection.

Lent begins next Wednesday. Like it or not I always watch the Passion and then movie on toward Easter with my all time favorite list.
Quo Vadis
The Robe
Song of Bernadette
Demetrius and the Gladiators
King of King both silent and the color epic
Greatest Story Ever Told
Ben Hur
Ten Commandments
Salome
the new BD of S&D
there are many more but I will be watching them all

I wish TCM would release The Big Fisherman

I also wish TT could give us Id Climb the Highest Mountain. I only have my Vhs copy but worth picking up for any movie fan.

I did not buy the Bible last year. I am thinking of doing it but there edits on the Blu-ray. I hate when they edit the broadcasts.

I ask members here if it is worth the purchase?
  • Gary OS likes this

#43 of 56 Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted February 27 2014 - 09:59 AM

Mark, last I heard THE BIG FISHERMAN was controlled by Disney, so who knows what will happen to it. They don't seem very interested in anything old unless it's animated. TCM has shown it twice now, but both times painfully panned and scanned, which renders it unwatchable.
  • Gary OS and Mark Collins like this

#44 of 56 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted February 27 2014 - 10:43 AM

Glen thank you for telling me about the Fisherman. I had no idea.

Jesus of Nazareth is a classic and should get a release and perhaps it will with the new movie coming out tomorrow. The Bible is what I still wonder about. I have a big movie collection for this time of year.

The Passion I know a great many hate. I watch it each year on Ash Wednesday because that is when I first saw it in a packed theater with a stranger next to me who told me a wonderful story about his beliefs as we waited for the film. I never saw him again but what a wonderful memory it was.

The Robe has several viewings during lent. I love that film.
Quo Vadis the same way multiple viewings all during Lent.

I forgot to mention on my list.
David and Bathsheba please blu-ray
The Story of Ruth please blu-ray
The Silver Chalice
Solomon and Sheba
The Prodigal
The Cardinal please blu-ray

One Foot In Heaven recorded off TV
Saint Francis recorded off of Fox

Sign Of The Cross
Jesus Christ Superstar now in BD

I bet that I do buy the Bible mini series this year edits and all
  • Gary OS likes this

#45 of 56 moviebuff75

moviebuff75

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted February 27 2014 - 12:30 PM

POPULAR

I would love "Jesus of Nazareth" in its extended 1979 four-part version (same as on dvd, but with all of the openings, teasers, recaps, and end credits intact.) It would be great to see some of the deleted scenes as well, if they still exist. I hope the two scenes that were cut for the international blu-ray releases were put back into the film as well. Interviews with Robert Powell, Olivia Hussey, and other surviving cast members as well as the director would be fantastic. Perhaps some network promos. This film is a masterpiece and transcends its television roots.

• David_B_K, Mark Collins and Walsh61 like this

Proud HTF Member Since: April, 2001

#46 of 56 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted February 27 2014 - 12:46 PM

POPULAR

I always try and buy a new movie for Lent. I hope in the near future this wonderful mini series will get that US release. I sure hope the SON OF GOD movie will help get this one out.

I bought the Bible and the John Huston movie and with all my others I am well set for a Lent movie festival.

Thanks again Glen for the heads up on Fisherman. I will have to record that one when it plays next on TCM.
I hate P&S but just to have it in my library I will record it. I am surprise TCM presented it that way.
Do not forget

Samson & Delilah [Blu-ray] (1949) coming early March
  • Ockeghem, Professor Echo and moviebuff75 like this

#47 of 56 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted February 27 2014 - 06:16 PM

I would have loved to see this series on the big screen such as the SON OF GOd from the Bible series. What all of us really want is a beautiful restoration with extras in Blu-ray.

Those in the power to make this happen I hope you read this.
  • moviebuff75 likes this

#48 of 56 marcco00

marcco00

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted February 27 2014 - 07:18 PM

POPULAR

i whole-heartedly agree.

i see that 'the jesus film' with brian deacon is being released on blu ray this easter season.

however, for me 'jesus of nazareth' is the best cinematic vision of christ's story. moving score, perfect cast, perfect script, perfect direction.

it deserves a first- rate restoration.

• David_B_K, Mark Collins, moviebuff75 and 2 others like this

#49 of 56 Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted February 27 2014 - 07:43 PM

The Gospel of John is another good one with Christopher Plummer narrating.

• Gary OS and David_B_K like this

#50 of 56 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted February 28 2014 - 10:23 AM

Criterion King of Kings by CB DeMille would also be nice in blu-ray.  MGM King of Kings was the film I grew up with on TV.  Must watch for me and now though I know the film was hated by critics and the restoration on blu-ray was also hated I still love Greatest Story Ever Told.

#51 of 56 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 12:06 AM

POPULAR

I was lucky enough to see SON OF GOD yesterday with I am pleased to say a packed house.  I will buy the film of course but I am a softy for those Hollywood epics from the 50s and 60s.  The best gifts I received were seeing the seniors  there and the one comment I received when I left the theater.  I was asked by a young person working for the theater what I thought of the movie.  I told her the film was  worth seeing.

I went straight home and watched the Robe and the Robe 2 as I call it.

Jesus of Nazareth was on my mind and this must be released on bluray!!  I was told by a friend from my church that Walmart is selling it for under 10 bucks. 

I am so glad that I took the time to see this movie.  Why??  The people I viewed the film with and being asked what I thought of the movie after viewing it.  I cannot describe how touched I was.

• Gary OS, Bob_S. and Professor Echo like this

#52 of 56 BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted March 01 2014 - 05:56 AM

I was lucky enough to see SON OF GOD yesterday with I am pleased to say a packed house.  I will buy the film of course but I am a softy for those Hollywood epics from the 50s and 60s.

I, too, like those 20s-60s Biblical epics from Hollywood, both the good and bad ones, as well as a handful of "modern" productions.  Reviews I've read of Son of God paint it being essentially a edited down version of the segments on Jesus from the TV mini-series The Bible.  Essentially a "director's cut" from the mini-series that includes scenes cut from the mini-series.  Have you seen The Bible mini-series?  If so, are those reviews accurate in that aspect?  I had some major issues with the mini-series and gave up on it before the New Testament portion began.  Because of those issues I'm not sure I'd want to spend time with this film if it's a rehash of portions of that production.

• Ron1973 likes this

#53 of 56 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted March 02 2014 - 10:24 AM

I cannot answer the question for I only saw certain portions of the mini series.  I have heard and read what you have stated however.

I chose to go and see the film even after what I just said.  Please do not take that to state that I think everyone should see the film.

#54 of 56 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted March 02 2014 - 10:53 AM

Since Shout and ITV have teamed up then perhaps we can see a release of "Jesus of Nazareth"

#55 of 56 moviebuff75

moviebuff75

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted March 02 2014 - 11:36 AM

Lionsgate owns Jesus of Nazareth.

Proud HTF Member Since: April, 2001

#56 of 56 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted March 07 2014 - 12:58 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the 1979 Blu-ray the Jesus movie a Amazon. I also liked the reviews on The Gospel of John but will wait to see if a Blu-ray comes out. I am pretty maxed out this year on what I have spent on my Lent movies.
  • moviebuff75 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users