Pioneer Receiver sounding low all of a sudden

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   MikeCin

MikeCin

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted January 18 2013 - 08:36 AM

I have this Pioneer VSX-518 that I been using for many years and this afternoon, When I turned it on, The audio sounds very low in all the speakers, Low with distortion. The receiver has been working fine since yesterday, So I tried turning it off and on and it still sounds the same. Any idea why the receiver suddenly producing low audio?

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted January 18 2013 - 09:00 AM

sounds like either the power supply died...or a cap popped.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   MikeCin

MikeCin

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted January 18 2013 - 09:01 AM

sounds like either the power supply died...or a cap popped.

I guess that means I'll have to buy a new receiver soon, And this one is a couple of years old. However, If a power supply in a receiver died, Wouldn't the receiver not work at all? It still turns on like normal, Just the audio being low all of a sudden

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts

Posted January 18 2013 - 09:10 AM

If the power supply dies it can still "sorta function" like a dying alternator in a car. When you are "lucky" the alternator will still maintain...but not charge. By the way, 4-6 years is the "expected usefullness" of <$500 (before they become irrelevant...) So it actually did you a favor. Even a "new" $200 AVR will have features $600 AVR didn't have in 2008. Mainly you'll now have lossless audio and 1 HDMI connection for everything now.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   MikeCin

MikeCin

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted January 18 2013 - 09:14 AM

If the power supply dies it can still "sorta function" like a dying alternator in a car. When you are "lucky" the alternator will still maintain...but not charge. By the way, 4-6 years is the "expected usefullness" of <$500 (before they become irrelevant...) So it actually did you a favor. Even a "new" $200 AVR will have features $600 AVR didn't have in 2008. Mainly you'll now have lossless audio and 1 HDMI connection for everything now.

The receiver still functions like normal, Just the volume a bit lower, When I bought this receiver a long time ago, It was over the 200 dollar range and Pioneer has some new ones in that price range that offer more features like HDMI inputs and Dolby True HD and such.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts

Posted January 18 2013 - 09:18 AM

The receiver still functions like normal, Just the volume a bit lower, When I bought this receiver a long time ago, It was over the 200 dollar range and Pioneer has some new ones in that price range that offer more features like HDMI inputs and Dolby True HD and such.

Exactly what I just said..."This AVR did you a favor"...

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Brainwasher

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted January 18 2013 - 10:02 AM

I can see you love your AVR. But it's gone, time to go shopping. We can help you there. What's your budget? What features do you want/need? It would probably cost more to repair than buy a brand new, shiny one.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   MikeCin

MikeCin

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted January 18 2013 - 10:08 AM

I can see you love your AVR. But it's gone, time to go shopping. We can help you there. What's your budget? What features do you want/need? It would probably cost more to repair than buy a brand new, shiny one.

Im not gonna buy a new one now, Its still working however, I just have to higher the volume more. Anyways, When I do buy a new receiver, It will have to be around the same price range with the same number of features. This Pioneer VSX-518 is a 5.1 surround receiver, So I'll have to get another one of the same brand since they have newer 5.1 models in the same price range, But supporting Dolby True HD. The thing is I have it in a small bedroom hooked up to 6 speakers for 5.1 because, I have a Tivo, Xbox 360, PS3 all hooked up using an optical switch, Computer's audio also connected to it and other sources. a receiver like this is actually overkill for a small bedroom, But the price was good.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts

Posted January 18 2013 - 10:19 AM

"Im not gonna buy a new one now, Its still working however, I just have to higher the volume more"... So, in other words your gonna let the AVR have a meltdown and possibly take your speakers with it...

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   MikeCin

MikeCin

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted January 18 2013 - 11:53 AM

"Im not gonna buy a new one now, Its still working however, I just have to higher the volume more"... So, in other words your gonna let the AVR have a meltdown and possibly take your speakers with it...

I don't put the volume way up. in a small bedroom, you dont want to turn it into a nightclub.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users