A Few Words About

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 of 29 OFFLINE   Qomma

Qomma

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 05:40 AM

Downton Abbey, after the first season, was shot 24 fps. Therefore there is no conversion and no problem.

#22 of 29 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,488 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Qomma 

Downton Abbey, after the first season, was shot 24 fps. Therefore there is no conversion and no problem.

Truly?!

Then my eyes deceive me.

Please explain for your second post at HTF.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#23 of 29 OFFLINE   Dee Zee

Dee Zee

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts
  • LocationFalls Church VA, USA

Posted February 08 2013 - 11:27 AM

I love the show and I've only been watching on PBS HD. But I wish they would create a surround mix rather than stereo.

#24 of 29 OFFLINE   CMNash

CMNash

Agent

• 47 posts
  • LocationLawrence KS

Posted February 10 2013 - 03:49 AM

Appreciated.  To be serious.  Any time an image or audio is converted from one format to another, something is going to be imperfect.  To me, that infernal stuttering has always been the worst of it.  Just glad to see it gone.  I've not viewed the entire series -- time is not an easy thing to find -- but generally I thought that it looked superb.  And no stuttering. RAH

So true. Growing up in the 80s and 90s, I suffered with poorly converted PAL to NTSC material. Eventually, I got a PAL television and multi-region DVD player to avoid the conversion (although my friends hated it because they were disturbed by the flicker). I had already seen the Series 3 of Downton on ITV, and the American PBS Blu-ray looks absolutely stunning. I'm just a bit bothered by the audio slowdown (pitch lowering). Are there any audio engineers here who have some opinions/experience with pitch manipulating algorithms? When converting formats with temporal changes, has anyone used software to correct pitch? I've only played with it in Adobe Audition, and it seems 'okay' although strange artifacts often occur with highly transient sounds.

#25 of 29 OFFLINE   Dee Zee

Dee Zee

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 02:09 PM

I love the show and I've only been watching on PBS HD. But I wish they would create a surround mix rather than stereo.

Oddly enough last night's broadcast of DA was in what i think is surround on WETA DC area. I'm hearing center channel dialogue and music in the rear. Can someone confirm the sound format of this program?

#26 of 29 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,978 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 11 2013 - 02:29 PM

^ I can't confirm anything beyond that the first two season Blu-rays are stereo and so are the broadcasts in the Philadelphia area. I'd have to imagine that if the Blu-rays weren't even 5.1, stereo is the correct format.

#27 of 29 OFFLINE   Dee Zee

Dee Zee

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted February 12 2013 - 10:14 AM

The last PBS broadcast of DA on my HD DVR, the 2 hour episode, is definitely in 5.1. Center channel dialogue - music in surrounds.

#28 of 29 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,001 posts

Posted February 17 2013 - 07:37 AM

I have the blu-ray but only watch the episode after i watch it live on PBS. You can hear edits dialog. Tonights the finale 4 hours if you want to watch last weeks too. Maggie Smith will be on 60 minutes tonight. I have not even got to the bonus features on the BD. The show was really good this season. I think it looks and sounds great!

#29 of 29 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,001 posts

Posted February 18 2013 - 12:42 PM

After watching last nights finale I watched the first 3 episodes again. I did not hear Edith and Sir Anthony speak of the Duke and Duchess of Marlborough and how he had met her when Edith was just learning to walk. I remembered the scene from when it aired but it was edited out of my UK BD collection. Plus it boasted over 2 hours bonus which I did not watch until last night and thought it much less. Any comments?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users