Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Hello Dolly (1969)

Fox

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
246 replies to this topic

#101 of 247 OFFLINE   RetroGuy

RetroGuy

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 03:57 PM

First, the sound is MUCH better than the older DVD. On the DVD, the ADR was much more obvious, and on this Blu-ray the transitions between live sound and ADR are a little more seamless.I'm very impressed by details and colors -- the golden gown at Harmonia Gardens just glistens! Some of the grassy greens look weird to me, but that feels like a nit-pick because everything else is so gorgeous.

I totally agree with your assessment. On the exterior shots, I thought things looked a bit overexposed, with whites too bright, the sky washed out, and the color of the grass looking a bit off. But the interior and night scenes really shine. Dolly's gold dress and the reds in the Harmonia Gardens look absolutely amazing. And the sound is vastly improved from the DVD. I wish there had been more bonus features, and I dream of the day when they'll release an expanded CD of the soundtrack that includes all of the dance music, overture, exit music, etc.

Edited by RetroGuy, April 02 2013 - 05:57 PM.

#102 of 247 OFFLINE   noel aguirre

noel aguirre

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 05:44 PM

Just opened her up and went directly to "Before the Parade Passes By' the Ben Hur/Cleopatra moment in movie musical history. I'm sorry to report that it only gets a B grade here- and I'm a huge fan of this film. The sky is white! AN tanything white is overexposed- not the way it originally looked. And where is the thunderous bass that rocked this scene in the theaters? It's still not there! The lower register is totally underwhelming. Oh well- I will have to manipulate it myself , sound-wise that is. 

Hopefully the interiors are better but the what did they do to the sound? What happened to the dynamic range? Chitty CHitty Bang Bang and SOM sound much better in the lower registers.

#103 of 247 OFFLINE   noel aguirre

noel aguirre

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 06:04 PM

I just watched the "hello Dolly" number and yes the interiors look much better though with a slight yellowish look.

However - where is the bass? The lower register is barely there. Is anyone else having this issue?

#104 of 247 OFFLINE   noel aguirre

noel aguirre

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 06:06 PM

Where is that lush Fox sound? HD won an Oscar for sound- VERY disappointed.

#105 of 247 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,489 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 02 2013 - 06:14 PM

I watched it tonight, but the flu has sidetracked me from getting the review up until tomorrow morning (hopefully).

#106 of 247 OFFLINE   BBbrowd

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 06:20 PM

Anyone notice in the Gene Kelly extra feature that they used parts of the isolated music score behind the narration?  How I wish we could have gotten an isolated score option throughout the film.  It sounds wonderful.. especially hearing part of the title song without the waiter's chorus.  Interesting orchestration revealed there.

I agree that most of the picture looks gorgeous, except for much of the sunlit outdoor scenes where everything becomes washed out.  The audio is indeed much improved over the DVD.  Doesn't stop me from wondering what else could have been achieved with it though.  Pleased with this release overall, but it's only normal to want the best quality possible.  It's one of my all time favorites.  Beautiful film.

Edited by BBbrowd, April 02 2013 - 06:28 PM.

Chris

#107 of 247 OFFLINE   noel aguirre

noel aguirre

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 07:26 PM

Anyone notice in the Gene Kelly extra feature that they used parts of the isolated music score behind the narration?  How I wish we could have gotten an isolated score option throughout the film.  It sounds wonderful.. especially hearing part of the title song without the waiter's chorus.  Interesting orchestration revealed there.

I agree that most of the picture looks gorgeous, except for much of the sunlit outdoor scenes where everything becomes washed out.  The audio is indeed much improved over the DVD.  Doesn't stop me from wondering what else could have been achieved with it though.  Pleased with this release overall, but it's only normal to want the best quality possible.  It's one of my all time favorites.  Beautiful film.

Yes- If Lost Horizon can get a isolated score why not Dolly? No respect.

#108 of 247 OFFLINE   Mark Mayes

Mark Mayes

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts
  • LocationWest Hollywood

Posted April 02 2013 - 07:56 PM

I have been totally knocked out by the reds. I see that there are some "hot" spots in outdoor scenes with whites, but nothing that seems as drastically overexposed as what some people are describing.

#109 of 247 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,542 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 02 2013 - 10:21 PM

Man, I must have watched a different Blu-ray because the one I watched looked incredible.  I didn't see any hot spots or washed out anything.  I saw a wonderful transfer off a large format element with gorgeous and correct color (there is nothing wrong with the grass - I know it's novel, but it's GREEN.  Very green and colorful as it always has been) - the opticals even look fine to me.  The sound was plenty robust in my viewing room.  Hey Fox - I liked it!

#110 of 247 OFFLINE   babsdude

babsdude

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted April 03 2013 - 04:11 AM

Can anyone comment on the  2:35:1 aspect ratio on the DOLLY back cover versus the 2.20.1 Todd-AO aspect ratio?  Did Fox just get it wrong?  Also, I'm assuming that because the Todd-AO credit appears at the beginning that this Blu-ray was scanned/restored from that print (not the 35mm)?  Right?

Thanks in advance for the info ....

Matt, feel better, and looking forward to your review!

#111 of 247 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,489 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 03 2013 - 04:41 AM

Man, I must have watched a different Blu-ray because the one I watched looked incredible.  I didn't see any hot spots or washed out anything.  I saw a wonderful transfer off a large format element with gorgeous and correct color (there is nothing wrong with the grass - I know it's novel, but it's GREEN.  Very green and colorful as it always has been) - the opticals even look fine to me.  The sound was plenty robust in my viewing room.  Hey Fox - I liked it!

I agree. I can't imagine it looking any better than this.

#112 of 247 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,489 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 03 2013 - 04:42 AM

Can anyone comment on the  2:35:1 aspect ratio on the DOLLY back cover versus the 2.20.1 Todd-AO aspect ratio?  Did Fox just get it wrong?  Also, I'm assuming that because the Todd-AO credit appears at the beginning that this Blu-ray was scanned/restored from that print (not the 35mm)?  Right?

Thanks in advance for the info ....

Matt, feel better, and looking forward to your review!

I'm sure it's just sloppy preparation of liner notes. It's clearly not 2.35:1.

#113 of 247 OFFLINE   noel aguirre

noel aguirre

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted April 03 2013 - 05:34 AM

Picture most certainly could ve improved- The ski is white and there isn't any definition in the white ruffked shirt Mathau wears in the parade - same for the other marchers. I think it looks digital not filmish. But forget the picture the sound totally lacks oomph. I still enjoy it for the details.

#114 of 247 OFFLINE   RetroGuy

RetroGuy

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted April 03 2013 - 09:30 AM

I posted this on the "Hello, Dolly!" review thread, but thought I'd add it here too:

I've only watched my favorite parts of the movie so far, but has anyone else noticed any glitches with the video transfer? I'm not sure what the technical terms are for what I've seen, but, for instance, when the camera is panning from the end of "Elegance" to Dolly's apartment window as Streisand sings the opening strains of "Love Is Only Love," the letters on the side of one building practically come to life and start shimmying back and forth, as well as a window on a distant building. I also noticed this same thing at the opening of the film as the scene starts to come to life. The area where the train enters vibrates a bit, along with a few other spots during the pan down to the guy sweeping the street.

The scenes in the Harmonia Gardens look so incredible they practically took my breath away, but based on other scenes I've sampled thus far I would only give the video a 4/5 rating.

Edited by RetroGuy, April 03 2013 - 09:43 AM.

#115 of 247 OFFLINE   BBbrowd

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted April 03 2013 - 09:40 AM

RetroGuy, yes, I did notice some glitches.  The one that stood out to me the most is during "Put On Your Sunday Clothes", when Barbra sings the line, "all aboard, all aboard!".  Both close-up shots of her during that part have a jittery effect.  It's a shame because it's a beautiful shot of her otherwise.  Check it out and let me know what you think.  I found it really strange looking..  like a projector moving too slow, flickering. 

Chris

#116 of 247 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,542 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 03 2013 - 09:58 AM

I have to say again I see none of this stuff you guys are talking about.  The train at the beginning is matted in - it's always been like that.  I don't know about shimmying - I'll watch it again, but that shot is coming off the optical whip pan of which there are many in this film, all done optically.  It looks like film to me - not 35mm film, but 65mm film - clear, clean, and crisp.  Honestly, and all due respect, I just don't know what you guys are talking about.

#117 of 247 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,542 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 03 2013 - 10:01 AM

I posted this on the "Hello, Dolly!" review thread, but thought I'd add it here too:

I've only watched my favorite parts of the movie so far, but has anyone else noticed any glitches with the video transfer? I'm not sure what the technical terms are for what I've seen, but, for instance, when the camera is panning from the end of "Elegance" to Dolly's apartment window as Streisand sings the opening strains of "Love Is Only Love," the letters on the side of one building practically come to life and start shimmying back and forth, as well as a window on a distant building. I also noticed this same thing at the opening of the film as the scene starts to come to life. The area where the train enters vibrates a bit, along with a few other spots during the pan down to the guy sweeping the street.

The scenes in the Harmonia Gardens look so incredible they practically took my breath away, but based on other scenes I've sampled thus far I would only give the video a 4/5 rating.

Why can't I find the Hello, Dolly! review thread - or are you talking about the DVD review of old?

#118 of 247 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,540 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted April 03 2013 - 10:08 AM

Here it is:

http://www.hometheat...blu-ray-review/

#119 of 247 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,243 posts
  • LocationWest Hollywood, CA

Posted April 03 2013 - 10:10 AM

Bruce, do you think some people could have smooth-motion filters set up on their TVs that could be causing artifacts? If you're not seeing them that's what springs to my mind as a possible culprit.It would also make things look "digital" and fake. So many new TVs ship with that "feature" turned on, and while neat for sports, it makes movies look HORRIBLE.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#120 of 247 OFFLINE   John Skoda

John Skoda

Stunt Coordinator

• 171 posts

Posted April 03 2013 - 11:35 AM

I noticed some brief weirdness in the main titles sequence.  The shot with Jerry Herman's credit (which is mostly a shot of water) has a lot of noise, as does a subsequent shot with water.  Also there's a yellow haze behind the letters of the credits in some spots.But I agree that the Harmonia Gardens sequence is astonishing.  Above all, I just glad this disc isn't a disaster.  I confess that somehow I was afraid it would be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users