Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

vinyl help?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 UKben

UKben

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted January 16 2013 - 01:15 PM

Basically im only 16 so i have no knowledge on vinyls and i want to buy a set up. I only want to use it to play tunes im not interested in mixing, the music i want to play is trance, jungle, hip hop and house. My room is 11ft x 10ft, i dont know hom much i need to spend, but i will not be able to spend more than £500. I really know hardly anything but my guess is that i need a turntable, amp and speakers? I want some big, loud speakers as i have a lot of m8s round my house and we share a love for loud, thumping beats :D Can you give me some tips on what to buy and possibly even a list of what to buy ( make, model ect.). Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

#2 of 3 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,648 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 21 2013 - 05:56 AM

The basics you'll need is a turntable, amp, speakers, and possibly a pre-amp for your amp as not all amps have a phono input anymore for the turntable.

I have a Rega RP2 which has been replaced by an upgraded RP1 (I think) for the turntable and love it. It's a very simple turntable, no fuss, sounds great right out of the box. Not suitable for DJing at all. They are about $400 cdn, which is what I paid. Rega make a pre-amp as well if you need one, which according to a friend sounds great.

As far as the amp and speakers, I added an unused Nakamichi amp of my dads with unused Boston Acousitics speakers and it sounds fantastic. Very natural sounding regardless of being a folk record or a electronic. I can't comment on what would be best for bass thumping though.

My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#3 of 3 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,450 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted January 21 2013 - 08:20 AM

Here's the other thread where the bulk of this conversation has been: http://www.hometheat...lp#post_4026123

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users