Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

vinyl help?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   UKben

UKben

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted January 16 2013 - 01:15 PM

Basically im only 16 so i have no knowledge on vinyls and i want to buy a set up. I only want to use it to play tunes im not interested in mixing, the music i want to play is trance, jungle, hip hop and house. My room is 11ft x 10ft, i dont know hom much i need to spend, but i will not be able to spend more than £500. I really know hardly anything but my guess is that i need a turntable, amp and speakers? I want some big, loud speakers as i have a lot of m8s round my house and we share a love for loud, thumping beats :D Can you give me some tips on what to buy and possibly even a list of what to buy ( make, model ect.). Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 21 2013 - 05:56 AM

The basics you'll need is a turntable, amp, speakers, and possibly a pre-amp for your amp as not all amps have a phono input anymore for the turntable.

I have a Rega RP2 which has been replaced by an upgraded RP1 (I think) for the turntable and love it. It's a very simple turntable, no fuss, sounds great right out of the box. Not suitable for DJing at all. They are about $400 cdn, which is what I paid. Rega make a pre-amp as well if you need one, which according to a friend sounds great.

As far as the amp and speakers, I added an unused Nakamichi amp of my dads with unused Boston Acousitics speakers and it sounds fantastic. Very natural sounding regardless of being a folk record or a electronic. I can't comment on what would be best for bass thumping though.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,535 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted January 21 2013 - 08:20 AM

Here's the other thread where the bulk of this conversation has been: http://www.hometheat...lp#post_4026123

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users