Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

FINALLY...Some new Looney Tunes cartoons as the Super Stars series continues...See Link below...out on 4/23/2013

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 of 29 OFFLINE   Theodore J. Mooney

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor

• 538 posts

Posted January 17 2013 - 09:26 AM

I've always viewed the Superstars line as a continuation of the Golden Collections (minus the extras). As for the DVD versions of the Platinums, they are a weird hybrid. I haven't checked Vol2, but I know Vol1 was not a true copy - it was only the first two of the three discs. And considering most of the new content was on the third disc, I don't know who it was aimed at. David

I was one of those who purchased the DVD version of the Blu-Ray Platinum Collection. At the time, I didn't have any of the Golden Collection DVDs and had no interest in getting those because they were too pricy. And having the Platinum Collection on Blu-Ray was out of the question because I had no Blu-Ray player. And even if I did, I still wouldn't have purchased it due to the atrocious price. Anyways, when I saw how much the DVD Platinum Collection was and the number of cartoons it had on it, I had no hestiation in picking it up. .
Music Video of the Week (Feb. 8th-14th):
 ("Hands To Heaven" sung by Breathe)

"I Love Lucy wasn't just a title" ~ Desi Arnaz
"Desi Arnaz was the love of my life" ~ Lucille Ball

#22 of 29 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,050 posts

Posted January 17 2013 - 10:32 AM

I was one of those who purchased the DVD version of the Blu-Ray Platinum Collection. At the time, I didn't have any of the Golden Collection DVDs and had no interest in getting those because they were too pricy. And having the Platinum Collection on Blu-Ray was out of the question because I had no Blu-Ray player. And even if I did, I still wouldn't have purchased it due to the atrocious price. Anyways, when I saw how much the DVD Platinum Collection was and the number of cartoons it had on it, I had no hestiation in picking it up. .

I would like Warner Brothers, for once, to stop misrepresenting these toons as being brand new ones on DVD since some of them on this latest offering are known to be repeats/double-dips, or whatever you want to call them as was pinpointed by some of the members on here. This isn't the first time they have done this with the Superstar series of discs and hoping they finally get the message clear once and for all. It just brings about confusion on all this.

#23 of 29 OFFLINE   Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted January 18 2013 - 11:06 AM

I've always viewed the Superstars line as a continuation of the Golden Collections (minus the extras). Not counting the Tweety & Sylvester disc, they are essentially one-disc GCs (with possibly one or two double-dip titles).

Not really. The Golden Collections were intented for collectors, which means zero double dips (especially when there's more than 600 non-GC films left to go). That, along with anomalies such as the full double dip disc you mention and miscropped cartoons meant to appeal to mass audiences, are why the Super Stars have always differed from the GCs substantially. They really differ from all previous efforts in that they seem to want to attract both collectors and general consumers; the confusion about them, such as why they're not also on Blu-ray, is what results. With similar content volume and organization, the Platinums are much closer to the Golden Collections. Of course, that alone doesn't make them a successor series.

#24 of 29 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,671 posts

Posted January 18 2013 - 02:58 PM

Not really. The Golden Collections were intented for collectors, which means zero double dips (especially when there's more than 600 non-GC films left to go). That, along with anomalies such as the full double dip disc you mention and miscropped cartoons meant to appeal to mass audiences, are why the Super Stars have always differed from the GCs substantially. They really differ from all previous efforts in that they seem to want to attract both collectors and general consumers; the confusion about them, such as why they're not also on Blu-ray, is what results. With similar content volume and organization, the Platinums are much closer to the Golden Collections. Of course, that alone doesn't make them a successor series.

Actually, for the Golden Collection, it wasn't zero double-dips. There were at least three titles that were 'extras' on earlier collections that were part of a later volume, And there were at least a dozen titles that were 'extras' on WB film releases. As for the 'miscropped' cartoons, those were released (by one definition) as OAR. Theatrically, they were shown in the cropped state. As for the 'intended' market, I think the real market that WHV was going for was anyone who would buy them. I always considered the GCs as being directed at general consumers (although pricier consumers). As far as Blu-Ray, WHV is moving slowly. They are being cautious. Some people (here on HTF and elsewhere) keep saying Blu-Ray is dead, or that catalog titles won't sell, or something similar. WHV is going at the same pace with Blu-Ray as they did when they started with DVD - about 60 per year.

#25 of 29 OFFLINE   Kevin Martinez

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted January 18 2013 - 03:47 PM

Actually, it's 50 per year. That's less than the DVD's which has 60 a year. I dont consider unrestored bonus cartoons that are later restored for the main feature to be "double dips", nor do the majority of collectors. Not only are the bonuses unrestored (usually TV prints), they're often censored, colorized, have wrong soundtracks or whatever. Also, the double dip cartoons on the GC's tended to be parts of compilations and not standalone (i.e. Bugs Bunny Superstar)

#26 of 29 OFFLINE   notquite

notquite

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted January 18 2013 - 06:34 PM

Actually, it's 50 per year. That's less than the DVD's which has 60 a year. I dont consider unrestored bonus cartoons that are later restored for the main feature to be "double dips", nor do the majority of collectors. Not only are the bonuses unrestored (usually TV prints), they're often censored, colorized, have wrong soundtracks or whatever. Also, the double dip cartoons on the GC's tended to be parts of compilations and not standalone (i.e. Bugs Bunny Superstar)

screw bonus cartoons, restore them and release them right

#27 of 29 OFFLINE   Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted January 18 2013 - 07:10 PM

As for the 'intended' market, I think the real market that WHV was going for was anyone who would buy them. I always considered the GCs as being directed at general consumers (although pricier consumers).

Looney Tunes DVDs, in general, were a test at the very beginning. So in a sense you may be correct. However, the Goldens were released at a time when it was revealed WHV intended to restore the entire library; their format and release strategy made them the obvious outlet for that effort once it became clear they would sell. General consumers were targeted with the Spotlight Collections, released concurrently with (and taking material from) the Goldens.

I dont consider unrestored bonus cartoons that are later restored for the main feature to be "double dips", nor do the majority of collectors.

Kevin's right. When a fully restored cartoon is part of the program material, only then has it been issued. If it appears again in program material for another series, it's a double dip. If it appears as an extra (restored or not, related to the program material or not), it's just an extra. Nothing else.

#28 of 29 OFFLINE   Kevin Martinez

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted January 19 2013 - 05:41 AM

Between all of the various releases with new content, Warner is still restoring in the neighborhood of 40-45 cartoons a year. If collectors could buy those 45 cartoons without having to rebuy cartoons they already own, much of the conversation we've been having wouldn't exist. Warner did have some internal plan to restore the library for the future, but now, who know? Even if they do go to streaming and downloads, do they think antiquated fuzzy videotape masters of these cartoons will cut it forever? Do they think Cartoon Network and other outlets for these cartoons will broadcast in standard-def forever?

#29 of 29 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 582 posts

Posted January 19 2013 - 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Martinez 

Between all of the various releases with new content, Warner is still restoring in the neighborhood of 40-45 cartoons a year. If collectors could buy those 45 cartoons without having to rebuy cartoons they already own, much of the conversation we've been having wouldn't exist.

Exactly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users