Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Another request for help selecting an AVR

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Steve from Vt

Steve from Vt

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted January 16 2013 - 01:35 AM

Looking for any help/opinions in selecting a new receiver. WARNING - I have posted this to other websites/forums seeking assistance, so you may have seen it already and I apologize for that if so. BTW, where should I post this? Here or elsewhere? Don't ask for details (doesn't really matter) but my job has a "Rewards" program where I can earn points and purchase a variety of things with my "earned" points. Below are some receivers that they have available w/ their cost to me (1 point is equal to $1.) And yes, I realize the points/costs assigned are a “little” high and I could get a much better deal thru Amazon or out on the street. But I’ve got the points and not the cash – so guess where I’m going to get my AVR? I have a separate room & system that is my primary audio listening room and will be using this new setup as my primary video system. Both are used for the other purpose but limited; guessing at about a 70/30 or 80/20 split. This may change in the future (when I can afford separates), but for now - two rooms, each w/ a dedicated system. Got a great deal on the Energy Take Classic 5.1surround system (love Energy speakers and after reading reviews on this, couldn’t pass it up @ $250 but likely to upgrade it in the future). Now need a receiver for it. Have a DVD player but will be getting a blu-ray player soon. Do not anticipate using this for games, just watching TV, movies and occasional music. Will be playing thru a Sharp LC-46LE820UN. The Sharp has several HDMI inputs including one w/ ARC that I plan on using as the main connection. Here are my choices. Marantz SR5006 $770 Denon AVR-1913 $645 Pioneer Elite VSX-52 $1050 Pioneer Elite VSX-40 $510 Yamaha HTR6080BL $880 Have done some feature/price comparison and have these listed in the order as I see them. Leaning towards the Marantz or Denon and probably not the VSX-52 as I would have to throw in some cash. BUT not set on this, for example – is the VSX-52 really worth the extra $$$$? some reviews talk about display/menu issues w/ the Marantz the Denon has Audyssey MultiEQ vice the Audyssey MultiEQ XT etc, etc How do you see them? Any input/comments/advice/suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanx

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,928 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted January 16 2013 - 02:08 AM

If you plan on using the TV as you hub, just choose the cheapest one. There is no need for anything but a $200(original price) AVR is you are going to provide it with 2.0PCM all the time. Now if you'd rather do it the right way...I'd pick the yamaha 6080(it is 3 years old...but has pre-outs for all channels so it can be a pre-pro)

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,760 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted January 16 2013 - 10:43 AM

I think you have them listed about right,with exception of the Yamaha. From what I know about them (which isn't much) the 6080 is a pretty well featured receiver for the money. Also, you're right about the VSX-52. I t should be "priced" closer to the 5006. Marantz receivers are a bit over-priced in the retail market but compared to the others and considering your "rewards points" it's about right. I would narrow it down to the marantz and yamaha with the Denon in the mix only if you wanted to save some points. BTW, I have a 5005 and it's a very solid receiver, but not spectacular. I also have an Elite VSX-23 (a two year old version of the 52) and I'm also quite happy with it. The Pioneer has a solid remote and I love the 6 MCACC presets which also remember speaker/subwoofer volume levels. It's like having 6 seperate eq's which also remember individual speaker volume levels. Brilliant! It also has a few other settings which help with dialog. I'd pass on the VSX-40. It's the Cadillac Cimarron of Elite receivers. The Marantz has a very good remote, is very easy to setup and operate and has solid power and sound quality. I wish I new more about Yamaha receivers... there is no perfect receiver but you have a few good ones to choose from.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   TheGary

TheGary

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted January 18 2013 - 06:35 AM

I'm just going to throw the Pioneer SC-1222-K into the mix. Class D amplification and it's on sale for 550 @ Newegg.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users