What's new

1930s: What Titles Did You Vote For? (2 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
[SIZE= 20px]What Movies do you Want Released on Blu-ray? The Choice is Yours![/SIZE]
We are pleased to be working with Fox on an exciting promotion allowing members of HTF and other consumers the ability to vote for the film they want to see released on Blu-ray from each of the following decades: the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s and 1960s. Fox will release the winning title from each decade on Blu-ray later this year as part of the Fox Studio Classics Blu-ray line.

CLICK HERE TO VOTE

Fox Classics recently released below:

JFKarr

Grip
Real Name
John Karr
It's disappointing that two of Shirley Temple's dullest movies are being considered for Blu-ray. A lesson in How Not to Sell Product. Why not Captain January, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, or even Stand Up and Cheer--all would be preferable to the clinkers being nominated.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by JFKarr
It's disappointing that two of Shirley Temple's dullest movies are being considered for Blu-ray. A lesson in How Not to Sell Product. Why not Captain January, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, or even Stand Up and Cheer--all would be preferable to the clinkers being nominated.
John-
Keep in mind that since they are releasing the winners this year, they needed to have films that are in or have finished any needed restoration and I don't know what shape those films are in. I think thats why we see more films to choose from in the later decades.
I too went with Little princess.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
JFKarr said:
I don't really see how you can say that The Little Princess is a clinker. Most people seem to think that it's one of her best. Nevertheless, I would rather see Poor Little Rich Girl, which most seem also to rate as one of her best, and has never been released on DVD. One real surprise: Steamboat Round the Bend. I wasn't expecting a chance to see Will Rogers in HD.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I'm having a problem here. Over a third of the nominees in each category are covered by the list of Official Sponsors, which I can't seem to move or remove. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? It's an on-going problem!! Thanks in advance for any help ...

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
JoeDoakes said:
I don't really see how you can say that The Little Princess is a clinker. Most people seem to think that it's one of her best. Nevertheless, I would rather see Poor Little Rich Girl, which most seem also to rate as one of her best, and has never been released on DVD. One real surprise: Steamboat Round the Bend. I wasn't expecting a chance to see Will Rogers in HD.
It's NOT one of her best (and neither is Heidi, but maybe close), but it's the best-known. Of the choices, I had to take one for the team: Princess is one of the most revered pantheon of Public Domain titles, and believe me, if Fox doesn't do their own respectable studio-approved Blu-ray, a hundred other vultures WILL. They often DO. I'd like to have shown off and voted for something lesser-known, but personally thought Will Rogers was no actor. :(

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
voted for the John Ford Steamboat Round the Bend I wish they had the Prisoner of Shark Island as an option, that film I think already has a UK bluray release.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Ejanss
Of the choices, I had to take one for the team: Princess is one of the most revered pantheon of Public Domain titles, and believe me, if Fox doesn't do their own respectable studio-approved Blu-ray, a hundred other vultures WILL. They often DO.
Being a Technicolor junkie I 've always liked PRINCESS, but to my mind (and for purely selfish reasons) I didn't vote for it because A) the DVD the Fox finally released a few years ago was pretty good while B) their JESSE JAMES DVD looked so horrid that I think that one will be a more dramatic improvement on blu-ray. I wouldn't hate (and would buy) either one but I thought Tyrone needs a little more love.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I am having some trouble here. Whenever enter the page to vote, the list of candidates does not appear to me. I tried to access it from various computers, never with success.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I think The Little Princess is an excellent film. However, since I picked The Blue Bird for the 1940s, I chose Jesse James today. I will likely switch votes tomorrow and go with Shirley.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Shout out to RON EPSTEIN: Ron, I need your invaluable help! (Check Post #6 above).

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
THE LITTLE PRINCESS a clinker? I disagree...it's my favourite Shirley Temple film, and I will vote for it every day. I remember when the only DVD you could find for PRINCESS was released by a public domain company. The Fox DVD looks quite nice...I'd love to see how great it could look on Blu!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Andrew Budgell said:
I remember when the only DVD you could find for PRINCESS was released by a public domain company. The Fox DVD looks quite nice...I'd love to see how great it could look on Blu!
Haven't seen the DVD, but I'm always amazed to see studio-adopted color Public-domain titles (like Criterion's Charade) with their REAL original corrected/restored Technicolor. It's so ungrounding, after all those years of brown and green orphaned/neglected prints on local stations.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Wow many of the films I asked about before we saw the list are on the list. Others I forgot about are also on the list. I voted for Two for the Road , The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, Anastasia, and Call of the Wild. I wish they could find an uncut version of Call of The Wild. Does Fox ever release films 20th Century Pictures film made prior to the the merger with Fox with the original 20th Century Pictures intro. The copy-write of films such as Call of the Wild and Les Miserable say 20th Century Pictures but the fanfare says 20th Century Fox on versions I have seen on Fox Movie Channel? Actual only time I have seen the 20th Century Pictures fanfare is on Fox Movie Channel when they run a promo showing how the fanfare has changed over time. I wonder what the color films from the 30's and '40s are going to look like since its been noted by Mr. Harris that the 3 strip technicolor negatives no longer exist .

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I voted for Steamboat Round the Bend...gotta see Will Rogers in blu.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Steve Tannehill said:
I voted for Steamboat Round the Bend...gotta see Will Rogers in blu.
Well, as long as it's not Judge Priest, where Rogers plays against Stepin Fetchit (and all that that implies), or A Connecticut Yankee, which should have been all-time made-to-order, but was so 30's-Hollywood off-book in places, it was....just plain weird :confused: I'd like to see Rogers' film career, but don't know which good ones to start with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks