-

Photo
- - - - -

TCHFE Press Release: Fox and HTF Partner To Bring Classic Films To Blu-Ray For The First Time

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,954 posts

Posted January 15 2013 - 01:25 AM

TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX HOME ENTERTAINMENT PARTNERS
WITH HOME THEATER FORUM TO BRING CLASSIC FILMS
TO BLU-RAY FOR THE FIRST TIME

Fans Vote for Their Favorite Classic Titles through
“Voice Your Choice” Campaign

Plus Even More Films from the Vault to be Released on Blu-ray Each Month with
20th Century Fox Studio Classics Collection

LOS ANGELES (January 15, 2013) – Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment announced today its partnership with the ultimate film discussion website, Home Theater Forum, for a one-of-a-kind campaign, VOICE YOUR CHOICE, allowing film enthusiasts to decide which classic films they would like to see digitally restored and transferred to Blu-ray for the very first time. The program celebrates Fox’s most notable films from the 1930’s thru the 1960’s featuring performances by famous actors such as Henry Fonda, Shirley Temple, Paul Newman, Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, John Wayne and more. Throughout the campaign, fans will also have the opportunity to write in and submit additional titles. Voting begins today at www.hometheaterforum.com and at www.foxconnect.com.

In addition to VOICE YOUR CHOICE, beginning this month Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will celebrate their extensive collection of classic movies by releasing at least one title on Blu-ray per month under the banner “20th Century Fox Studio Classics.” Drawing from Twentieth Century Fox’s rich catalog all releases will be Academy® award-winning or nominated movies from the 1920’s thru the 1960’s.

VOICE YOUR CHOICE titles are as follows:

1930 Jesse James Call of the Wild
  The Little Princess Steamboat Round the Bend
  Swanee River  
1940 The Return of Frank James
  That Night in Rio Pin Up Girl
  The Black Swan The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
  My Gal Sal Kiss of Death
  To the Shores of Tripoli Captain From Castile
  My Friend Flicka The Blue Bird
  Crash Drive A Letter to Three Wives
  Hello, Frisco, Hello Mother Wore Tights
1950 Don’t Bother to Knock Cheaper by the Dozen
  Carmen Jones On the Riviera
  Anastasia Black Widow
  Broken Lance The True Story of Jesse James
  Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? The Tall Men
  Desk Set The Best of Everything
  The River’s Edge The Bravados
  The Inn of the Sixth Happiness  
1960 From the Terrace Morituri
  Two for the Road North to Alaska
  The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie Bandolero!
  Let’s Make Love Do Not Disturb
  The Agony and the Ecstasy Back Door to Hell
  How to Steal a Million Bedazzled (1968)
  The Undefeated The 300 Spartans
  Can-Can  

20th Century Fox Studio Classics titles and release dates for the first quarter of 2013 are as follows:

1/15 Titanic (1953)
  How Green Was My Valley
  Wild River
  Gentlemen’s Agreement
2/5 Laura
3/26 Panic in the Streets
4/2 Hello, Dolly!
5/7 Viva Zapata!

About Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment LLC
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, LLC (TCFHE) is a recognized global industry leader and a subsidiary of Twentieth Century Fox Film, a News Corporation company. Representing over 75 years of innovative and award-winning filmmaking from Twentieth Century Fox, TCFHE is the worldwide marketing, sales and distribution company for all Fox film and television programming, acquisitions and original productions as well as all third party distribution partners on DVD, Blu-ray™, Digital Copy, Digital HD™, and VOD (video-on-demand). Each year TCFHE introduces hundreds of new and newly enhanced products, which it services to retail outlets from mass merchants and warehouse clubs to specialty stores and e-commerce throughout the world.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 22 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,651 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 15 2013 - 01:37 AM

I voted for the following titles:

Jesse James

Kiss of Death

Broken Lance

The Agony and the Ecstasy

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Second Unit

• 480 posts

Posted January 15 2013 - 01:48 AM

I would have thought that TWILIGHT TIME would have had first dibs on many of these titles...On second thought it appears that FOX is going to release many of these films on their own.

#4 of 22 OFFLINE   Martin Teller

Martin Teller

Screenwriter

• 2,414 posts

Posted January 15 2013 - 03:36 AM

Call of the Wild (don't really care about any of these) Kiss of Death (of course I'm picking the noir) Don't Bother to Knock (great underseen noir) Two for the Road (easy choice... glad to see it's currently in the lead)

#5 of 22 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,617 posts

Posted January 15 2013 - 04:28 AM

I appreciate the effort, and I'm happy for fans who want a super-spiffy Blu edition of these titles, but I sure wish there were a few candidates that hadn't already gotten decent releases on standard DVD in the U.S. A few debuts would be nice. Examples: SITTING PRETTY (1948) CRY OF THE CITY (1949) --wasn't this being prepped for a Fox Film Noir or Criterion release, years ago?? BIRD OF PARADISE (1951) GOOD MORNING, MISS DOVE (1955) 23 PACES TO BAKER STREET (1956) THE INCIDENT (1967)

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#6 of 22 OFFLINE   Noach Kowalski

Noach Kowalski

Stunt Coordinator

• 183 posts

Posted January 15 2013 - 05:08 AM

I voted for: Jesse James Kiss of Death Desk Set Bedazzled (1968)

#7 of 22 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,267 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 15 2013 - 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Peter M Fitzgerald 

I appreciate the effort, and I'm happy for fans who want a super-spiffy Blu edition of these titles, but I sure wish there were a few candidates that hadn't already gotten decent releases on standard DVD in the U.S.

A few debuts would be nice.

Examples:

SITTING PRETTY (1948)
CRY OF THE CITY (1949) --wasn't this being prepped for a Fox Film Noir or Criterion release, years ago??
BIRD OF PARADISE (1951)
GOOD MORNING, MISS DOVE (1955)
23 PACES TO BAKER STREET (1956)
THE INCIDENT (1967)

I agree with you. At least Mother Wore Tights was one which hadn't been previously issued.

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 900 posts

Posted January 15 2013 - 08:39 AM

Well, wow - off the top of my head, none of those hold my interest at all! But I guess this type of thing isn't aimed at my preferences. Good luck to those it appeals to, hope you get what you want.

#9 of 22 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,831 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted January 15 2013 - 09:38 AM

Note: There are some people on narrow screens that are having a problem with the sponsor bar covering up some selections.  For those people I am placing another voting module here.  Here is the direct link to this post so you can use it to vote everyday you are on a smaller screen.  Thanks!

Don't forget to add these Fox Classics to your collection:

#10 of 22 OFFLINE   kingofthejungle

kingofthejungle

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted January 16 2013 - 01:58 AM

This is a really great way to get market input into catalog releases, so kudos to Fox. I do hope that those in each category that don't win aren't excluded from future consideration for Blu, though. The thought actually has me voting for different films on different days (like most you, there are several in each category that I'd love to have in my Blu-Ray collection). In the 30's, Jesse James is one I've been hoping would get a careful restoration for a while, despite the difficulties with the lack of an original negative, but I will also buy ANY John Ford film on Blu ASAP. I haven't seen the other three, but Call of The Wild looks interesting. In the 40's section, I'd probably buy all of the Tyrone Power films, as well as The Return of Frank James. I'm not a huge fan of Mankiewicz or the overrated Kiss Of Death, but those will probably be more widely popular choices, and if the price was right I might consider indulging. They don't have my most-wanted HD Fox title (from any era) on this list, My Darling Clementine, though it would be nice if Criterion could get that one. Lots of the titles from the 50's are moderately interesting, but Broken Lance, The River's Edge, Black Widow, and The Bravados would be must-buys for me. I wish they would take Don't Bother To Knock, and the other Monroe titles and Do an Marilyn volume 2 collection or something. The 60's list is rather unappealing. I wrote in a request for Flaming Star, and wouldn't mind seeing something like Flight Of The Phoenix make it to BD either. In any event, I applaud Fox for increasing it's commitment to classics on BD and will be interested to see what comes of this little endeavor.

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,833 posts

Posted January 16 2013 - 03:43 AM

Good news about Hello Dolly!

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,007 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted January 16 2013 - 03:46 AM

Great news about Laura. I didn't "discover" this classic until I was in undergraduate studies as part of a film music course. Fell in love instantly with both the film and its score.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#13 of 22 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,760 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted January 16 2013 - 08:09 AM

I have extremely fond memories of spending a Saturday night with Desk Set.  You really can't go wrong with Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn.  More audiences need to give this combo a try and a BD release may help spur that along.  That, among others, got my vote last night.

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   JohnRa

JohnRa

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted January 16 2013 - 09:44 AM

I have extremely fond memories of spending a Saturday night with Desk Set.  You really can't go wrong with Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn.  More audiences need to give this combo a try and a BD release may help spur that along.  That, among others, got my vote last night. 

I couldn't agree more. "Desk Set" is one of my favorite movies.

#15 of 22 OFFLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,046 posts

Posted January 16 2013 - 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jason_V 

Originally Posted by JohnRa 

I couldn't agree more. "Desk Set" is one of my favorite movies.

It got my vote too.  It's so much fun!

#16 of 22 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted January 16 2013 - 10:10 AM

This is a really great way to get market input into catalog releases, so kudos to Fox. I do hope that those in each category that don't win aren't excluded from future consideration for Blu, though. The thought actually has me voting for different films on different days (like most you, there are several in each category that I'd love to have in my Blu-Ray collection). In the 30's, Jesse James is one I've been hoping would get a careful restoration for a while, despite the difficulties with the lack of an original negative, but I will also buy ANY John Ford film on Blu ASAP. I haven't seen the other three, but Call of The Wild looks interesting. In the 40's section, I'd probably buy all of the Tyrone Power films, as well as The Return of Frank James. I'm not a huge fan of Mankiewicz or the overrated Kiss Of Death, but those will probably be more widely popular choices, and if the price was right I might consider indulging. They don't have my most-wanted HD Fox title (from any era) on this list, My Darling Clementine, though it would be nice if Criterion could get that one. Lots of the titles from the 50's are moderately interesting, but Broken Lance, The River's Edge, Black Widow, and The Bravados would be must-buys for me. I wish they would take Don't Bother To Knock, and the other Monroe titles and Do an Marilyn volume 2 collection or something. The 60's list is rather unappealing. I wrote in a request for Flaming Star, and wouldn't mind seeing something like Flight Of The Phoenix make it to BD either. In any event, I applaud Fox for increasing it's commitment to classics on BD and will be interested to see what comes of this little endeavor.

I agree with you on My Darling Clementine. John Ford fans definitely got shafted in the voting here.

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,919 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted January 16 2013 - 02:23 PM

My Darling Clementine, well that it what the little box below is for, for the 30's i put in Cavalcade because the only way to have it is the huge fox box would be nice to see a single release, what this wont do it take the Fox Classic Boxes would love to see the Chans after all the restoration work.

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#18 of 22 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,651 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 16 2013 - 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lromero1396 

I agree with you on My Darling Clementine. John Ford fans definitely got shafted in the voting here.

I think Fox has some plans for this title once some issues are resolved with it.  By the way, I did request that both versions of the film are included on any BD release.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted January 18 2013 - 04:30 AM

I think Fox has some plans for this title once some issues are resolved with it.  By the way, I did request that both versions of the film are included on any BD release.

Thank you very much, Mr. Crawford. Are there problems with the original elements on My Darling Clementine? I would assume that because of all of the print damage and audio crackles which appeared on the DVD, especially in the Preview Version.

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted January 18 2013 - 04:30 AM

Thank you very much, Mr. Crawford. Are there problems with the original elements on My Darling Clementine? I would assume that because of all of the print damage and audio crackles which appeared on the DVD, especially in the Preview Version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users