-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Frankenweenie -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,393 posts

Posted January 14 2013 - 11:12 AM

To the best of my knowledge, Tim Burton's Frankenweenie, from Disney, is the first modern 3D black & white production.

And it's quite beautiful.

The story is basically your standard boy and his dog...

but with a bit of grave-robbing thrown in.

A beautiful film, for all ages, this tale of young Victor and his pet Sparky, owes a bit to an odd group -- Mary Shelley, Colin Clive, James Whale and Arthur Edeson.

A great presentation in 3D, with a high data throughput, this disc gives us a perfect gray scale, and presumably based upon its 2k DI, an absolutely gorgeous Blu-ray experience.

Rounding out the technical, is audio presented in DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1.

A wonderful film for the entire family, and your basic "how-to" for kids who want to grow up to be either grave-robbers, or have a career in motion picture animation.

Great film.

Great Blu-ray.

This is one to add to the collection.

Highly Recommended.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 9 Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Supporting Actor

• 932 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted January 14 2013 - 05:52 PM

Just the fact that it has "weenie" in the title is an easy sell to me. Of course, the 3D helps a bit too. I'm sure my 2 "wieners" will enjoy it as well. ;)

#3 of 9 JoshZ

JoshZ

Second Unit

• 379 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted January 15 2013 - 06:58 AM

I've been wondering if this was actually photographed in black & white, or if Burton just painted all the stop-motion characters and models in shades of gray.

Writer / Blogmaster

High-Def Digest

#4 of 9 Kris Deering

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator

• 208 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted January 15 2013 - 07:14 AM

They photographed it both ways and decided black and white looked better. There is quite a bit about it in the special features. They even changed the colors of a lot of the props to work better with B&W. It is a great making of feature that shows just how much effort went into it.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound and Vision Magazine

#5 of 9 JoshZ

JoshZ

Second Unit

• 379 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted January 15 2013 - 12:07 PM

They photographed it both ways and decided black and white looked better. There is quite a bit about it in the special features. They even changed the colors of a lot of the props to work better with B&W. It is a great making of feature that shows just how much effort went into it.

OK, so the props were in color, but they graded the photography to black & white? With a stop-motion production like this, they could theoretically have painted everything gray and shot it with regular color photography for a similar result.

Writer / Blogmaster

High-Def Digest

#6 of 9 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,393 posts

Posted January 15 2013 - 04:21 PM

OK, so the props were in color, but they graded the photography to black & white? With a stop-motion production like this, they could theoretically have painted everything gray and shot it with regular color photography for a similar result.

One of the featurettes has an interview with an actor discussing how off-putting it was working in gray sets, with gray props. And the hours spent in makeup.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#7 of 9 Dave Upton

Dave Upton

Owner

• 810 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted January 16 2013 - 08:39 AM

I will be watching this one tonight. Looking forward to it immensely!

#8 of 9 JoshZ

JoshZ

Second Unit

• 379 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted January 16 2013 - 09:59 AM

One of the featurettes has an interview with an actor discussing how off-putting it was working in gray sets, with gray props. And the hours spent in makeup.

That was Warwick Davis in the dog costume, right?

Writer / Blogmaster

High-Def Digest

#9 of 9 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,094 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted January 17 2013 - 05:41 AM

I've got to get around to watching this, but have been putting it off. Ever since the previews with the kid saying "I don't want him in my heart, I want here with me." Just tore me apart each time I saw the preview. What kid (and this adult included) hasn't felt that? Didn't it cost more to shoot both ways? Color is more expensive isn't it? Or did you mean they experimented with both ways and chose black and white? BTW, wsn't the original Frankenstein makeup designed to look good in black and white? It was garish looking in person wasn't it?
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users