Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anchor Bay Press Release: The Master (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,555 posts

Posted January 14 2013 - 08:37 AM

"One of the great movies of the year."

~ Lisa Schwarzbaum, Entertainment Weekly

"Mind-Bending Cinematic Landmark."  ~ Peter Travers, Rolling Stone

"5 Stars.  Simply Unmissable"

~ Peter Bradshaw, The Guardian

ANCHOR BAY ENTERTAINMENT and THE WEINSTEIN COMPANY MESMERIZE AUDIENCES WITH THE COMPELLING AND CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED FILM

THE MASTER

ON BLU-RAY™ COMBO PACK AND DVD

Nominated for Three Academy Awards® and Three Golden Globes®

Directed by Academy Award®-Nominated Filmmaker Paul Thomas Anderson,

THE MASTER Heads To Retail On February 26, 2013!

BEVERLY HILLS, CA - Anchor Bay Entertainment and The Weinstein Company announced today the Blu-ray™ Combo Pack and DVD release of THE MASTER, the innovative film that has won over audiences and critics alike.  Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson (There Will Be Blood), the 1950s-set drama centers on the relationship between a charismatic intellectual known as "The Master" (Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Moneyball) who creates a belief system which catches on with other lost souls - and a young WW-II veteran (Joaquin Phoenix, Gladiator) who becomes his right-hand man.  In addition to Hoffman and Phoenix, the film also stars Amy Adams (Doubt) and Laura Dern (Little Fockers). THE MASTER heads to retail on February 26, 2013 for an SRP of $39.99 for the Blu-ray™ Combo Pack and $29.98 for the DVD.

Haunted by his past, WW-II veteran and drifter Freddie Quell crosses paths with a mysterious movement called The Cause, led by Lancaster Dodd aka "The Master" and his wife Peggy.  Their twisted relationship is the core of this film that is "a glorious and haunting symphony of color, emotion and sound with camera movements that elicit an involuntary gasp and feats of acting that defy comprehension (A.O Scott, The New York Times)."

Joe Neumaier of The New York Daily News declared THE MASTER, "the season's first Oscar contender." THE MASTER received the following 2012 Academy Award® nominations -  Joaquin Phoenix for Best Actor in a Leading Role, Philip Seymour Hoffman for Best Actor in a Supporting Role and Amy Adams for Best Actress in a Supporting Role.  The film received three Golden Globes® Nominations including Best Actor in a Drama Joaquin Phoenix, Best Supporting Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman and Best Supporting Actress Amy Adams.  

Awarded Best Actor for both Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix and Best Director for Paul Thomas Anderson at the 2012 Venice Film Festival, THE MASTER is a film "that casts a spell like a fever dream (David Ansen, Newsweek)."

Stunningly photographed in 65mm, THE MASTER stands as an undeniable cinematic experience. Will Freddie be able to outrun his past?  Will The Cause help or hurt him? Can this tortured, violent creature be civilized?  Or is man, after all, just a dirty animal?

THE MASTER Blu-ray™ Combo Pack and DVD special features include: "Back Beyond" which features outtakes and additional scenes edited to music by Johnny Greenwood; "Unguided Message," an 8 minute short / behind the scenes; Teasers/ Trailers.  The Combo Pack also includes an additional special feature "Let Their Be Light (1946), John Huston's landmark documentary about WW-II veterans."  Note: Special features are subject to change. 

THE MASTER BLU-RAY™ Combo Pack

(Blu-ray™ + DVD+ Digital Copy)

Street date:                  February 26, 2013

Pre-book:                    January 30, 2013

Catalog #:                   BD59719

UPC:                          01313259719580

Run time:                    138 Minutes

Rating:                         R

SRP:                            $39.99

Format:                       Widescreen

Audio:                         DTSHD-MA 5.1

THE MASTER DVD

Street date:                   February 26, 2013

Pre-book:                     January 30, 2013

Catalog #:                     WC59717

UPC:                            01313259717180

Run time:                      138 Minutes

Rating:                          R

SRP:                             $29.98

Format:                         Widescreen

Audio:                          Dolby Digital 5.1

ABOUT THE WEINSTEIN COMPANY

The Weinstein Company (TWC) is a multimedia production and distribution company launched in October 2005 by Bob and Harvey Weinstein, the brothers who founded Miramax Films in 1979. TWC also encompasses Dimension Films, the genre label founded in 1993 by Bob Weinstein, which has released such popular franchises as SCREAM, SPY KIDS and SCARY MOVIE. Together TWC and Dimension Films have released a broad range of mainstream, genre and specialty films that have been commercial and critical successes.  TWC releases took home eight 2012 Academy Awards®, the most wins in the studio's history. The tally included Best Picture for Michel Hazanavicius's THE ARTIST and Best Documentary Feature for TJ Martin and Dan Lindsay's UNDEFEATED. THE ARTIST brought TWC its second consecutive Best Picture statuette following the 2011 win for Tom Hooper's THE KING'S SPEECH.

Since 2005, TWC and Dimension Films have released such films as GRINDHOUSE; I'M NOT THERE; THE GREAT DEBATERS; VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA; THE READER; THE ROAD; HALLOWEEN; THE PAT TILLMAN STORY; PIRANHA 3D; INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS; A SINGLE MAN; BLUE VALENTINE; THE COMPANY MEN; MIRAL; SCRE4M; SUBMARINE; DIRTY GIRL; APOLLO 18; OUR IDIOT BROTHER; I DON'T KNOW HOW SHE DOES IT; SARAH'S KEY; SPY KIDS: ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD IN 4D; MY WEEK WITH MARILYN; THE IRON LADY; W.E.; CORIOLANUS; UNDEFEATED; THE ARTIST; BULLY; and EASY MONEY. Currently in release are THE MASTER; THE INTOUCHABLES and LAWLESS. Upcoming releases include KILLING THEM SOFTLY; THIS MUST BE THE PLACE; SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK; and DJANGO UNCHAINED.

TWC is also active in television production, led by former Miramax Films President of Production and current President of Television Meryl Poster, with credits including the Emmy® nominated and Peabody Award winning reality series Project Runway, spin-off series Project Runway All Stars and Project Accessory, the VH1 reality series Mob Wives, spin-off series Big Ang and Mob Wives: Chicago, and the critically acclaimed HBO comedy/crime series The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency which also received a Peabody Award. The company is currently in pre-production on the martial-arts epic Marco Polo for Starz. TWC additionally has 17 series in different stages of development, including The Nanny Diaries, being adapted for ABC by Amy Sherman Palladino (Gilmore Girls).

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 14 2013 - 10:00 AM

Weird this is coming out via Anchor Bay. I'm in. Fantastic that the John Huston documentary is a bonus. I've been wanting to see that one for ages.

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Eerik

Eerik

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted January 14 2013 - 10:15 AM

Weird this is coming out via Anchor Bay. I'm in. Fantastic that the John Huston documentary is a bonus. I've been wanting to see that one for ages.

What's weird about it? Weinstein bought the rights for this and Anchor Bay is their home media distributor.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 14 2013 - 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Eerik 

What's weird about it? Weinstein bought the rights for this and Anchor Bay is their home media distributor.

I'm use to Anchor Bay specializing in horror genre and what not, and not usually associated with the type of film The Master is. that's all. No offense to meant to shareholders like yourself who took it as a slander.

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Brian Husar

Brian Husar

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted January 15 2013 - 02:47 AM

What will be the aspect ratio the 70mm 2.20 or 1.85 the way it was shown in the 35mm release

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,790 posts

Posted January 15 2013 - 03:41 AM

According to High Def Digest, The Master will be presented in a 1.85:1 Aspect Ratio. At least that is what the specification says under the details web page for that title. - Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,628 posts

Posted January 15 2013 - 04:34 AM

The 70mm prints were also in 1.85 aspect ratio.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,555 posts

Posted January 18 2013 - 07:59 AM

Updated with today's press release information

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#9 of 13 ONLINE   john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 645 posts

Posted January 18 2013 - 09:54 AM

The 70mm prints were also in 1.85 aspect ratio.

Not when I saw it.2.20:1 Also only about 80% of it was shot in 65mm.That probably explains why some parts did't look that good.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,628 posts

Posted January 18 2013 - 10:23 AM

I wonder how they managed to show it like that when you saw it. The 70mm prints were pillar boxed to 1.85. http://motion.kodak....sual_Impact.htm
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#11 of 13 ONLINE   john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 645 posts

Posted January 19 2013 - 11:24 AM

I wonder how they managed to show it like that when you saw it. The 70mm prints were pillar boxed to 1.85. http://motion.kodak....sual_Impact.htm

I had been advised before I saw it it that is was 1.85:1. I can only presume that the theatre used a different aperture plate or reframed it with masking.It was certsainly NOT 1.85. Obviously if the frame was masked to that AR it should have been shown that way. If so, it was a wasted opportunity which also summed up my reaction to the film in general.

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted January 19 2013 - 01:11 PM

I had been advised before I saw it it that is was 1.85:1. I can only presume that the theatre used a different aperture plate or reframed it with masking.It was certsainly NOT 1.85. Obviously if the frame was masked to that AR it should have been shown that way. If so, it was a wasted opportunity which also summed up my reaction to the film in general.

The 70 showing i went to was 1.85 side masked in the print, your theater showed it wrong. Too bad PTA wont do commentary any more.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific Railroad.

• 561 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted January 19 2013 - 01:31 PM

I also saw it in 70mm (at the AFI Silver Spring, if that matters), and it was 1.85:1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users