-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The saddest movie I have ever seen

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,035 posts

Posted January 13 2013 - 04:31 AM

For a 60+-year-old male, I cry with embarrassing regularity watching certain movies. IRIS and AWAY FROM HER did this to me, as they are about aging and, and so am I! I am sure that AMOUR will have the same effect on me. The biggest heartbreaker for me, though, was an animated film from Japan: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES. I completely lost it. What incredible skill the Ghibli Studio animators invested in this production. The little girl's slow death by starvation and exposure brought about by U.S. firebombing is just so devastating -- her innocence and love of nature dying away because of man's relentless pursuit of power and destruction. I just can't imagine anyone watching this and not being left rather speechless afterward. And it's a cartoon! (which just happens to capture the human passion for life better than 99% of live-actions films being made). The new Blu-ray is quite beautiful.

#2 of 34 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,458 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted January 13 2013 - 04:39 AM

Most depressing movie I have ever seen. Once was enough.

#3 of 34 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,400 posts

Posted January 13 2013 - 07:55 AM

When I saw the subject line, the first movie that came to mind was Grave of the Fireflies. The first time I saw it, it was on VHS. I bought the DVD and watched it with my sister, and she was a wreck afterwards. I haven't brought myself to watching it again since.

#4 of 34 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,033 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted January 13 2013 - 06:35 PM

I haven't seen Grave yet so I'll go with What Dreams May Come and any version of Les Miserables. My Dog Tulip might be or any movie about a Dog and his master like Hatchi for example.
facebook.com/whotony

#5 of 34 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,326 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted January 13 2013 - 06:46 PM

It's been some time since I've watched Grave. Strangely enough, there was a sale tag at Best Buy for the title, but it was in the horror section of all things. Apparently the databaser/stocker had no clue what the movie is about (no sign of the actual Blu-ray either).

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#6 of 34 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,035 posts

Posted January 14 2013 - 12:10 PM

I haven't seen Grave yet so I'll go with What Dreams May Come and any version of Les Miserables. My Dog Tulip might be or any movie about a Dog and his master like Hatchi for example.

Your titles bring to mind MARLEY AND ME, which, for about 80% of the running time, is a slapsticky, typical puppy-wreaks-havok-but-becomes-a-very-beloved-part-of-the-family comedy, but during its final fifteen minutes turns into an incredibly realistic and very sad end-of-life story that I imagine most dog lovers (myself included) would have a hard time sitting through without at least sniffling a lot.

#7 of 34 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,400 posts

Posted January 14 2013 - 01:13 PM

Grave isn't merely sobby sad, it's despairingly bleak and hauntingly depressing.

#8 of 34 David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 1,974 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 14 2013 - 03:00 PM

In my best Tom Hanks "The Dirty Dozen -- y know when Jim Brown near the end is running and dropping the grenades and he's running and then the Nazis start shooting ........" The Day After Silent Running - a really odd choice but ever time I see it I just lose it near the end. Les Mis certainly gets things churning in a real hurry. And who could forget Old Yeller.

#9 of 34 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,033 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted January 14 2013 - 04:16 PM

Agree on Silent Running. I can't watch any dog movie anymore.
facebook.com/whotony

#10 of 34 Patrick H.

Patrick H.

Second Unit

• 475 posts

Posted January 15 2013 - 07:05 AM

As with many above...Grave of the Fireflies, by a wide margin. I think I went through all the stages of grief after I saw that, and doubt I could watch it again...

#11 of 34 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,116 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 15 2013 - 07:54 AM

Umberto D.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#12 of 34 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,688 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 15 2013 - 08:39 AM

Dancer in the Dark for me, though I've not seen Grave. I'll have to check it out.

My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#13 of 34 James David Walley

James David Walley

Stunt Coordinator

• 148 posts

Posted January 15 2013 - 05:49 PM

Actually, Dancer... didn't leave me so much sad as filled with a burning desire to hunt down the director and beat him to death for making me sit through that. If my defense team showed the DVD in court, there's not a jury alive who would convict me. ;-)
Raven Falls Photography
Nature, Architecture, and Fine-Art Images

#14 of 34 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,400 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 16 2013 - 06:38 AM

There is an interesting view of Grave of the Fireflies, where it is seen as intended to symbolically show the childlike Japanese being crushed by the monstrous US as a revisionist metaphor for the war itself. I have only seen part of the film, but, being fairly knowledgeable about the war and Japanese revisionism, I can understand that view.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#15 of 34 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,589 posts

Posted January 16 2013 - 06:51 AM

UP the first 15 minutes or so. Brutal Pixar.....just absolutely brutal. The rest of the film was fun though.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#16 of 34 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,117 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted January 17 2013 - 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan^H 

UP the first 15 minutes or so.
Brutal Pixar.....just absolutely brutal. The rest of the film was fun though.

The first 12 minutes of Up could be a short film unto itself, and it's the perfect portrait of every stage of a lifelong marriage, both the "for better" and the "for worse" parts. The emotional effect is devastating. It's brutal because it's emotionally honest in a way few other American animated films I've ever seen are.

In the canon of "sad movies about dogs," Snoopy Come Home certainly belongs in the top 10.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#17 of 34 bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 631 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted January 17 2013 - 03:58 AM

Matthew writes: "It's brutal because it's emotionally honest in a way few other American animated films I've ever seen are." Take away the word "animated" and his statement about UP is true as well. I'll add to the mix Forbidden Games and Come and See, films showing the devastating effect of war on children.

#18 of 34 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,400 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 17 2013 - 04:51 AM

Come and See is an insanely violent-feeling movie that doesn't actually contain much violence. It is really draining to watch.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#19 of 34 ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,460 posts

Posted January 17 2013 - 10:11 AM

Well, thanks for the warning about Grave of the Fireflies.  I will avoid that at all costs.  I find that life itself can be so depressing, difficult, and well just ugly, that I simply refuse to have my "entertainment" put me in that emotional state.  I want escapism and fantasy and joy. And the odd zombie apocalypse.....

It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink: 

#20 of 34 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,574 posts

Posted January 17 2013 - 10:42 AM

In the canon of "sad movies about dogs," Snoopy Come Home certainly belongs in the top 10.

My number 1 on that list is "The Plague Dogs". I wish that one would come out on Blu.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users