Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HBO's Game of Thrones: Season 3

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
308 replies to this topic

#141 of 309 OFFLINE   MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor

• 936 posts

Posted May 10 2013 - 11:47 AM

I agree jamie has become very likeable in the show, but to me, can't top Tyrion, Varys or Bronn.

#142 of 309 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,539 posts

Posted May 10 2013 - 11:49 AM

I agree jamie has become very likeable in the show, but to me, can't top Tyrion, Varys or Bronn.

Tyrion is the character I feel the most empathy for.  Such an incredible mismatch between who he is and what he feels internally, and how others perceive him.

#143 of 309 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,062 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted May 12 2013 - 08:02 PM

I may have to go back and re-read some books, because tonight had a moment that struck me as absolutely not in the book and a major game-changer, but maybe I'm wrong.

Major potential book spoiler, but could be wrong.. memory may be lagging me ;)

Spoiler

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#144 of 309 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,539 posts

Posted May 12 2013 - 08:24 PM

Matt,

Spoiler

#145 of 309 OFFLINE   Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted May 12 2013 - 08:35 PM

Matt:

Spoiler

#146 of 309 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,062 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted May 12 2013 - 08:41 PM

Josh, yes, and..

Spoiler

In something that also isn't in the book, but just a comment.. the happenings with Theon, which were not in the book at all.. Theon's brutal handling in the book all happened outside of our view.. tonights was brutal beyond imagination and the first time I really thought they stepped maybe beyond what was called for.   I don't know if there was anything about that scene that really was required to sell the torture of Theon, and probably could have lived without it.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#147 of 309 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,790 posts

Posted May 12 2013 - 08:55 PM

Leave it to HBO to combine humping and torture.  It was pretty easy to anticipate where that scene was headed prior to the horn blowing, but it was still brutal to imagine what occurred off camera.

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#148 of 309 OFFLINE   Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted May 12 2013 - 09:11 PM

Matt,

Spoiler

#149 of 309 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted May 15 2013 - 01:22 AM

In something that also isn't in the book, but just a comment.. the happenings with Theon, which were not in the book at all.. Theon's brutal handling in the book all happened outside of our view.. tonights was brutal beyond imagination and the first time I really thought they stepped maybe beyond what was called for.   I don't know if there was anything about that scene that really was required to sell the torture of Theon, and probably could have lived without it.

Still don't know where the torture of Theon is going. Heck, I'm kinda lost as to who holds him in the first place, Northeners? Meaning those loyal to the Starks.

And yeah, while I fully expected his tryst to be cut short, I didn't fully expect it to swing the entire other way though. That truly is brutal and I'd bet all male viewers recoiled...

#150 of 309 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,790 posts

Posted May 15 2013 - 04:34 AM

I'm uncertain where the torture is headed, and perhaps the answer is partly that

they wished to retain the actor portraying Theon vs. putting the character on the

bench for a long, long time...

http://screencrush.c...-theon-greyjoy/

- Walter.

#151 of 309 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,947 posts

Posted May 15 2013 - 05:04 AM

Well, we need some kind of clarification soon on who is torturing him and why. It's too frustrating to keep watching and not get any answers. This isn't Lost! 

#152 of 309 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,539 posts

Posted May 15 2013 - 06:54 AM

I'm uncertain where the torture is headed, and perhaps the answer is partly that

they wished to retain the actor portraying Theon vs. putting the character on the

bench for a long, long time...

http://screencrush.c...-theon-greyjoy/

- Walter.

There's something of a disconnect here.  Benioff says the actor is "fun to watch", which is apparently why he's being given so much screen time, but I haven't seen anyone say he enjoys these torture scenes; in fact, everyone seems to be saying "enough already!"   Are the producers not getting audience feedback with the same sentiment, or are they putting these scenes in only because they like it?

#153 of 309 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,790 posts

Posted May 15 2013 - 07:21 AM

Robert, I just think that they are trying to retain the actor for the series and since they don't have a plot line for Theon until much later in the series that they are just sort of 'treading water' with the torture scenes.  I hope there is a payoff for these scenes because otherwise it will be incredibly gratuitous (if not already so.)

- Walter.

#154 of 309 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,539 posts

Posted May 15 2013 - 07:49 AM

Walter,

Maybe I'm missing something, but couldn't they just call him back later for the non-torture scenes?  Why do they "have" to use him now?  I agree with you that these torture scenes had better not turn out to be gratuitous.  That article gives the impression the torture scenes were put in solely because the producers like to watch him, not because they're essential to the plot or because the audience likes them.

#155 of 309 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,395 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted May 15 2013 - 07:53 AM

Well, we need some kind of clarification soon on who is torturing him and why. It's too frustrating to keep watching and not get any answers. This isn't Lost!

I agree. A lot of writers fall into the trap of thinking it's interesting and suspenseful if the audience is completely in the dark. In truth, the opposite is true: it's most interesting and suspenseful when the audience knows everything but the most crucial thing; that other knowledge makes the unknown stand out more.

Since we don't know who's torturing Theon, we don't know the stakes or the meaning of what goes on there. Therefore it all seems gratuitous.

There's something of a disconnect here. Benioff says the actor is "fun to watch", which is apparently why he's being given so much screen time, but I haven't seen anyone say he enjoys these torture scenes; in fact, everyone seems to be saying "enough already!" Are the producers not getting audience feedback with the same sentiment, or are they putting these scenes in only because they like it?

Because of the nature of production for Game of Thrones, the shooting schedule is completely different from a network show. While a network show shoots new episodes on average 1-2 months ahead of the air date, Game of Thrones finishes shooting the entire season months before the season premiere airs. So the show is a lot less able to accommodate viewer feedback than most other shows.

#156 of 309 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,461 posts

Posted May 15 2013 - 08:55 AM

I agree. A lot of writers fall into the trap of thinking it's interesting and suspenseful if the audience is completely in the dark. In truth, the opposite is true: it's most interesting and suspenseful when the audience knows everything but the most crucial thing; that other knowledge makes the unknown stand out more.

http://everything2.c...tle/Bomb Theory

#157 of 309 OFFLINE   Dave Upton

Dave Upton

Owner

• 910 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted May 15 2013 - 08:56 AM

Having read the books, the torture is certainly there, it's just largely implied or filled in as back story rather than as many scenes.

I'm okay with producer discretion here, but they need to move on shortly and progress Theon's story before we dread the character appearing on screen.

Sent from my Android phone on the HTF App!

#158 of 309 OFFLINE   Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted May 15 2013 - 08:57 AM

Theon's torture has to be shown, at least to a certain extent.  While I can see how the graphic imagery may be too much for some viewers, at least some definitely needs to be shown, for the following reasons:

(Very light spoilers from book 5)

Spoiler

#159 of 309 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,512 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted May 15 2013 - 09:18 AM

I don't think the Theon scenes work...AT ALL.  But, I've read the books and there is no mystery to me...just lame backstory I don't need.  It may work better for someone who hasn't read the books.

However, from a producer's standpoint I understand it somewhat.  They want to keep Alfie Allen (Theon) in the cast and not lose him to other projects. 

Spoiler
  So, in order to keep him they have to use him - thus, we get these laborious torture/mystery scenes.  Now, I'm not totally up on SAG rules but in a 10 episode season I think they only have to use him in 5.  Have we met that quota?  If we have, I doubt we'll see him again.

#160 of 309 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted May 16 2013 - 08:06 AM

Now, I'm not totally up on SAG rules but in a 10 episode season I think they only have to use him in 5.  Have we met that quota?  If we have, I doubt we'll see him again.

Considering Game of Thrones is shot in Europe, SAG rules possibly don't apply.  Although if shot in the UK, Equity rules might; not too sure where on-set (i.e. indoor) scenes are shot.  Either way, I suppose it's a valid point, they need to keep the contractual rights 'alive'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users