Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HBO's Game of Thrones: Season 3

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
308 replies to this topic

#41 of 309 OFFLINE   Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,597 posts

Posted April 05 2013 - 08:21 AM

Charlie, regarding your spoiler:

(Book spoilers)

Spoiler

#42 of 309 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 05 2013 - 11:45 AM

He is very underrated as an actor doing Joffrey.  He's so good, so effortless at it that you really do hate the guy; you're waiting for the moment where you hear in real life someone goes "what a jerk" to him in public.   I said the same thing about the actor who did Draco Malfoy in the Potter series.. those are roles that could have went really wrong, but the actors just grabbed on and worked with it

He's so good in the role that now when I watch Batman Begins I get upset that Batman saves him....

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#43 of 309 OFFLINE   Dheiner

Dheiner

Gazoo

• 1,894 posts
  • Location'skonsen

Posted April 08 2013 - 05:21 AM

When the credits started to run, I felt a bit like a Monty Python character: :"That wasn't 50 minutes!"

I could not believe it was over.

The Green Bay Packers
13-Time National Football League Champions: 1929, 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1996, & 2010

#44 of 309 OFFLINE   Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter

• 1,527 posts

Posted April 08 2013 - 05:31 AM

Charlie, regarding your spoiler:

(Book spoilers)

Spoiler

Yes, it would definitely change Tyrion from his book character, but I think it would still be credible.  I'm just thinking that if it goes as I predicted, it would take the show into a dark area even further than this show has already gone.  At least, that was my thought before seeing Bolton's bastard work on Theon!  Wow, that was hard to watch.  Might have been easier if it wasn't a season break removed from Theon destroying Winterfell.

• Sam Posten likes this

#45 of 309 OFFLINE   Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,597 posts

Posted April 08 2013 - 06:36 AM

I enjoyed this episode a lot, though I was surprised by the serious amount of time compression that appears to be taking place with the Arya story--a very important scene will have to be moved around a bit, I think.  In any event, it was a good introduction to the Brotherhood without Banners, and I was happy to see Thoros of Myr.

The stuff with the Reeds was likewise done quite well--totally different from the novels, but actually slightly more interesting, in a way.  Now Bran's story can really start going.

The episode-sharing of Cat and Theon made me much less sympathetic toward Theon than I was while reading the books.  Something about seeing Cat's grief and then Theon's suffering didn't make me feel all that bad for him :)

Everything about Margeary's story was amazing.  She is completely playing him, which is a sight to see.  We finally get to see the useful side of Sansa!

#46 of 309 OFFLINE   Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 2,113 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted April 08 2013 - 10:25 AM

Im sure this request has probably been made before but how about a thread for book readers separated out as well as those who have not read the books like myself. I know people want to discuss plot differences between book and film but even when using spoilers people end up discussing it further and some forget or allude to things (case in point above).

As to episode 2, loved Catelyn's story about Snow thought the Stark army does seem to be wandering at the moment. Are they set to do what Daenarys did in Season 2 I wonder :) ?

It also struck me that there are a lot of threads being followed now, more new characters and more similar environments tha n before. Hope no-one tried to join in watching this in Season 3...

#47 of 309 OFFLINE   Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,597 posts

Posted April 08 2013 - 11:01 AM

Im sure this request has probably been made before but how about a thread for book readers separated out as well as those who have not read the books like myself. I know people want to discuss plot differences between book and film but even when using spoilers people end up discussing it further and some forget or allude to things (case in point above).

Absolutely nothing in this thread has been a spoiler (that wasn't tagged as such).  The book fans have been *very* careful in that regard, in this and previous threads.  In fact, there is even a warning on page 1 about spoilers, and a caution against reading anything about this season anywhere on the Internet.

Also, I would note--but as a bit of a jest--that some of this material is fifteens years old now.  There's a statute of limitations on some stuff :)

In all seriousness, though, I'll make doubly-sure that my posts contain nothing even approaching spoiler-territory, unless otherwise tagged.  I'll be sure to point out anything that is spoiled in another post, too.  Nobody wants to see this show wrecked for anyone!

#48 of 309 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,979 posts

Posted April 08 2013 - 03:42 PM

I just love seeing Diana Rigg on my TV set again. She was fantastic. 

• Mark Walker likes this

#49 of 309 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,387 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted April 08 2013 - 08:15 PM

It's funny. The first hour was nothing but setup, and felt like it. The second hour was nothing but setup, and it was absolutely riveting. It reminded me of what Frank Herbert wrote in Dune about wheels within wheels.

Was Catelyn's story about Jon Snow in the book? It was a wonderfully written scene, and shows her to be as much a victim of her hatred and jealousy as Jon's been. The gap between intellectual understanding, where she allowed herself to be charitable, and emotional truth, where she could not, was ably captured.

I also like that they've turned Bran himself into a mystery. I especially liked the bit where Osha's giving Meera crap for fighting her brother's battles, and she doesn't get defensive at all. Something to the effect of "Some people need a lot of protecting. Doesn't mean they're not worthy of it." Because of course Osha's put everything she has on the line for a little cripple boy, and she knows that it's worth it.

When the Hound spotted Arya, I figured he'd bite his tongue and play the games everyone else plays. So happy to be proven wrong, and I can't wait to see what happens next.

Once you get that these episodes really are just chunks of a longer story, with no episodic themes or structure, it's staggering what this show does. This show is almost designed for binge viewing, and the wait from week to week is brutal.

#50 of 309 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,979 posts

Posted April 08 2013 - 11:28 PM

What was the name of the boy that was freaking out Bran? 

#51 of 309 OFFLINE   Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter

• 1,527 posts

Posted April 09 2013 - 05:15 AM

Simon, in case you meant my reference to Tyrion's character "being put into a dark area", I thought I was being sufficiently general to not constitute a spoiler.  Sorry if that went too far.  I watched the first season before tearing through all 5 books before season 2 aired and I remember feeling like you do.  Again, sorry, and I'll make sure to be overly cautious in treating spoilers going forword.

Was Catelyn's story about Jon Snow in the book? It was a wonderfully written scene, and shows her to be as much a victim of her hatred and jealousy as Jon's been. The gap between intellectual understanding, where she allowed herself to be charitable, and emotional truth, where she could not, was ably captured.

Spoiler

What was the name of the boy that was freaking out Bran? 

Jojen Reed.  He and his sister are the children of a minor lord who is not held in high esteem by any of the major families, but was well respected by Ned for standing by him during either Robert Baratheon's rebellion or Balon Greyjoy's rebellion, I forget which.

#52 of 309 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,069 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted April 09 2013 - 06:56 AM

At least, that was my thought before seeing Bolton's bastard work on Theon!  Wow, that was hard to watch.  Might have been easier if it wasn't a season break removed from Theon destroying Winterfell.

I very rarely actually laugh at things on TV or the movies.  I'm laughing on the inside just not showing it.  Having read the books tho this scene was just such an AWESOME suprise that I was about bouncing out of my seat laughing and cheering.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#53 of 309 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,069 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted April 09 2013 - 06:59 AM

Jojen Reed.  He and his sister are the children of a minor lord who is not held in high esteem by any of the major families, but was well respected by Ned for standing by him during either Robert Baratheon's rebellion or Balon Greyjoy's rebellion, I forget which.

And they are swamp people.  Frog eaters.  Survival skills that might come in the handy on the run!

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#54 of 309 OFFLINE   Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,597 posts

Posted April 09 2013 - 07:39 AM

Spoiler regarding Jojen Reed's father:

Spoiler

#55 of 309 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,512 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 09 2013 - 09:16 AM

Spoiler regarding Jojen Reed's father:

Spoiler

I'll answer with spoilers...though, I don't think your'e really spoiling anything:

Spoiler

#56 of 309 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,119 posts

Posted April 09 2013 - 11:28 AM

Spoilers about Howland Reed, the Tower of Joy, Lyanna etc from the books (mostly book 1 & 3)

Spoiler

• Mark Walker likes this

#57 of 309 OFFLINE   Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,597 posts

Posted April 09 2013 - 11:32 AM

I'll answer with spoilers...though, I don't think your'e really spoiling anything:

Spoiler

(spoiled out of caution, but this is really just a total guess on my part, and not a reveal of anything Martin has written):

Spoiler

#58 of 309 OFFLINE   Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 2,113 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted April 09 2013 - 11:54 AM

I must admit because I love the show so much, I am avoiding pretty much any threads except the one here. Thank you all for those who are using spoiler tags and I'm not so sensitive as to believe that Im somehow going to get through the next three or four years spoiler free without accidentally reading something. :) A glance at the first sentence on the blurb on one of the later books when it was coming out pretty much spoiled one development :) I guess I just feel it would probably be better with two threads as I know equally thats is great to discuss film/book differences freely without worrying about spoilers if you have read them. People are very good at not revealing plot points but It is generally allusions to characters changes or big moments that may be coming up that may well seem ok but still have a similar effect. I remember going to see the Sixth Sense not knowing anything about it and it made a hell of a difference to see it cold before reviews started to come in.

Im in the middle of book 2 at the moment and I must admit its difficult to decide whether to wait for the show or go ahead with the books. Im particular to the show as it is what got me into the books in the first place but its a long wait between seasons.

Michelle Fairley is fast becoming one of my favourite actresses in this show. Ive seen her before on TV in the UK but I dont think she has been that well known before. Watched the show again and loved her story about John Snow.

#59 of 309 OFFLINE   Dave Upton

Dave Upton

Owner

• 904 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted April 09 2013 - 12:04 PM

(spoiled out of caution, but this is really just a total guess on my part, and not a reveal of anything Martin has written):

Spoiler

Spoiler

#60 of 309 OFFLINE   Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 2,113 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted April 09 2013 - 12:05 PM

Trivia from watching Batman Begins - Im sure the actor playing Joffrey Baratheon was the little boy who was given a souvenir from Batman.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users