What's new

Help selecting 9.2 receiver! (1 Viewer)

smitch

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Mitchell
Planning to upgrade my av receiver to a 9.2 system .Looking at 5 different models yamaha rx-a3020 ,denon -4520ci, sony str-da5800es,pioneer elite sc-68,integra dtr-80.3.All are similar in features and power output not to much different in price except the integra pushing 3000.00 which i believe is just a onkyo. Any suggestions?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Integra is not "just an Onkyo". If you want to pay less for a bit less "functionality", buy the Onkyo instead. The main difference...Yamaha and Elite both have single point crossover. Denon/Marantz* and Onkyo/Integra use multi-crossover Audyssey. Sony uses whatever they use(Sony has been irrelevant so long I don't follow them). Yamaha's YPAO is "technically" the best room EQ. But, it works best when your(in your case) 9 speakers match. MCACC is adequate. Audyssey EQs the sub...which nobody else does. Surprised you don't have the Anthem MRX700 in your shopping list. Or the NAD 787(well maybe not the 787, the 757) So...to get a more precise idea which one to recommend... 1. Your speakers? 2. Your subwoofer(does it have its own EQ?)? 3. Doing height or width? 4. Going to use the "zones"? *There is more difference(at each price) between Onkyo and Integra than there is with Denon and Marantz.

smitch

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Mitchell
I looked at the anthem marantz and nad but they were 7.2 and am working in a budget so 3000.0 would be top for receiver. I plan to go with polk rtia9 fronts and bi amp them and use front height .I am very new to this so just going by other articles and reviews. Also have seen a lot about emotiva you can get their separates for about the same price.As for the sub not sure yet have a polk 505 now and rxv673 receiver with small polks to complete 5.1.Listening to 2 channel stereo is also important. Thanks for your input.

pearsall001

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil Pearsall
I came from owning nothing but NAD AVR's & just recently went with the Yamaha RX-A3010. The Yammie is a dynamite AVR & quickly put any reservations I had leaving the NAD family. I went with the A3010 instead of the A3020 because the 4k upscaling doesn't interest me & neither does the Airplay function. If you can live without those 2 items you can get the A3010 for a ridiculously low price. They are the exact AVR's except for the above mentioned items. I am running an 11.2 system & it rocks!!!

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
pearsall001 said:
I came from owning nothing but NAD AVR's & just recently went with the Yamaha RX-A3010. The Yammie is a dynamite AVR & quickly put any reservations I had leaving the NAD family. I went with the A3010 instead of the A3020 because the 4k upscaling doesn't interest me & neither does the Airplay function. If you can live without those 2 items you can get the A3010 for a ridiculously low price. They are the exact AVR's except for the above mentioned items. I am running an 11.2 system & it rocks!!!
Wow, 11.2, you must have a huge room. Or are you using four of the channels as presence. I have owned yamaha receivers for 17 years, and am now looking at my 4th receiver in the rx-a2020 range. I

pearsall001

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil Pearsall
Brainwasher said:
Wow, 11.2, you must have a huge room. Or are you using four of the channels as presence. I have owned yamaha receivers for 17 years, and am now looking at my 4th receiver in the rx-a2020 range. I
It's a decent size...14x34 so I have plenty of room to pull off an 11.2 system. It does include 2 rear & 2 front presence speakers. The A3010 has 9 amps but you do need an external amp to do the full boat. I love it, I probably should have checked out Yamaha years ago. They make a great AVR. I did like the NAD's over the years but they only do a 7 channel AVR. They better get with the times to remain competitive in the marketplace. The new A20 series are very, very nice. Good luck with your decision.

smitch

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Mitchell
Thanks everyone for the great advice! I think I have come down to the Yamaha or the Denon for my budget.Then start saving my pennies for an all Krell system!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks