What's new

1600 Penn - NBC (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Anybody else watch this? I thought the second episode was a lot better than the first, and I think that's almost entirely due to a lot less Skip. It's a strange show in that I like everything about it except the main character, who's borderline intolerable.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I'll be checking out the two episodes in the next couple days, but I doubt this show will hold.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Ten years ago, NBC was in the middle of "The West Wing" a deep, well scripted shot at drama with issues. Now, they give us "1600 Ave" which is a screwball comedy in the whitehouse that frankly isn't very funny and flops around. I'm out.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Frankly, I couldn't make it through the teasers for this that have been on for the last month or two. It just looked like a terrible idea.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
6 minutes into the first episode I turned to my wife and ask her if she wanted to keep watching. Thank god she said no... immediately deleted and canceled the series recording. What a horrible TV show. Usually I can make it though an entire episode of a new series before passing judgement but this was just painful to watch.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Chris Will said:
6 minutes into the first episode I turned to my wife and ask her if she wanted to keep watching. Thank god she said no... immediately deleted and canceled the series recording. What a horrible TV show. Usually I can make it though an entire episode of a new series before passing judgement but this was just painful to watch.
We watched that first show and thought it was horrible. To say the next episode is better is not bragging on it. I think it's still in my series recording list, so I'll check i out one more time. It's got some good people in it. That first episode reminded me of the Neighbors...it was that bad. Of course I didn't think the Neighbors would last beyond three shows and apparently it's still going.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
The Neighbors? I thought the first episode of the Neighbors was bad, but I kept watching and it grew on me, and my wife. Maybe you should give it another try. If the Neighbors is a 6 out of 10, 1600 Penn is0.00001

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Joe Bernardi said:
The Neighbors? I thought the first episode of the Neighbors was bad, but I kept watching and it grew on me, and my wife. Maybe you should give it another try. If the Neighbors is a 6 out of 10, 1600 Penn is0.00001
"The Neighbors" is a very odd show, but lke you it's growing on me and I keep watching. I programmed 1600 Penn in my DVR but it somehow vanished. Might set it up again, but from what I'm readng, maybe not.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I'm enjoying the show but feel they could maybe tone down Skip just a hair. And, I must wholeheartedly agree about Jenna Elfman. Hubba hubba. Edit: I had no idea that Skip (Josh Gad) is actually co-creator and executive producer of this show. I ran an imdb on him and wow, he's really flown under my radar.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I really enjoy Jenna Elfman's comic timing. She can go from 100% serious (about education, for example) to trying to keep all the kids off the scent of a new baby in the family flawlessly. Agree completely with you, John, about Skip. He needs to taken down a notch or two to go from overblown to funny. I'm really not impressed with Bill Pullman, however. He just doesn't have any personality or anything to do. His dyed hair is laughable to me (at least, I think it's dye...) and he's completely out of his element.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
spshultz said:
I'm enjoying the show but feel they could maybe tone down Skip just a hair. And, I must wholeheartedly agree about Jenna Elfman. Hubba hubba.Edit: I had no idea that Skip (Josh Gad) is actually co-creator and executive producer of this show. I ran an imdb on him and wow, he's really flown under my radar.
I first saw Josh Gad back in Kelsey Grammer's sitcom "Back to You." He wasn't bad there because his character was at least likeable if not extremely bright. When I first saw promos for this show I immediately thought how bad and stupid the character was. Then I learned he created the show and thus the part presumedly for himself. Maybe if a different actor did the part, he would realize how bad the character is. Maybe not.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I suppose this show is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. Skip is still annoying, but I guess I've learned to tolerate him when he gets to be too much. Either way, the show isn't expected to get picked up for another run.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Jason_V said:
I'm really not impressed with Bill Pullman, however. He just doesn't have any personality or anything to do. His dyed hair is laughable to me (at least, I think it's dye...) and he's completely out of his element.
Haven't really been impressed with anything Bill Pullman has done since The Last Seduction, in which I thought he was pretty good.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
It has actually turned out to be a pretty enjoyable show, kind of like a "G" rated version of Veep.

Apparently episode 11 was the finale, but I can see it coming back again. Elfman and Pullman are really good, then you've got the typical mix of odd-ball children, but it has been decent. Hope the network gives it another try. Sort of how "Happy Endings" had a very short season, but returned and did fairly well.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Cameron Yee said:
I suppose this show is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. Skip is still annoying, but I guess I've learned to tolerate him when he gets to be too much. Either way, the show isn't expected to get picked up for another run.
I've enjoyed it too. I think that, except for Skip, the show really found its groove and was firing on all cylinders. Most of the characters came from a pretty real place, which made Skip's schtick all the more glaring.
Stan said:
It has actually turned out to be a pretty enjoyable show, kind of like a "G" rated version of Veep.

Apparently episode 11 was the finale, but I can see it coming back again. Elfman and Pullman are really good, then you've got the typical mix of odd-ball children, but it has been decent. Hope the network gives it another try. Sort of how "Happy Endings" had a very short season, but returned and did fairly well.
Actually, episode 13 was the finale. The baby reveal setup an interesting direction for a second season, but even with NBC's ratings being as bad as they are, "1600 Penn" likely won't make the cut.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Adam Lenhardt said:
I've enjoyed it too. I think that, except for Skip, the show really found its groove and was firing on all cylinders. Most of the characters came from a pretty real place, which made Skip's schtick all the more glaring.

Actually, episode 13 was the finale. The baby reveal setup an interesting direction for a second season, but even with NBC's ratings being as bad as they are, "1600 Penn" likely won't make the cut.
TVLine calls it a long shot.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Adam Lenhardt said:
There's no way 1600 Penn comes back next year. Not for another short season, not as a midseason replacement, not as a "just in case" show. Nothing in this season was compelling enough for it to come back next year. Maybe it was just me, but that "reveal" felt too...manufactured...to be legit. I mean, did Becca never once consider the possibility...and it never cross Marshall's mind?

I now feel bad for DB. He's dumb as a box of rocks, but he has feelings for Becca now. And she's played him for a chump almost the entire time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.