What's new

GTX 580 to AV Receiver- Proper Surround Sound? (1 Viewer)

TK423

Grip
Real Name
Cory
I'm currently planning on setting up a new home theater system. My PC will be the main, probably only, thing connected to the AV receiver. I run GTX 580 in SLI and am planning on connecting my computer to the AV receiver (an Onkyo TX-NR515, if that makes a difference) via HDMI from the GTX 580. Now, I was hoping that would be that but I've read a few things that have confused me. Apparently the GTX 580 is incapable of "bitstreaming". Does that mean that I will not get proper surround if I use the 580 for audio and video? I don't entirely understand bitstreaming but if I'm correct it means to send raw, untouched, high definition audio straight through the card to the receiver. The AV receiver then does all the work in regard to surround sound. But because the 580 can't do bitstream, does that mean that this setup would be incapable of doing proper surround sound, 5.1 or 7.2, Dolby Digital or DTS? Thank you for any help you can offer. I'm new to this stuff and doing my best but this particular issue has my head spinning.

TK423

Grip
Real Name
Cory
If there is no way to properly connect the GTX 580 to the AV receiver for proper surround sound my motherboard is a Asus P8P67 Pro REV 3.0. Is there any way to connect that to the AV receiver for proper DD and DTS audio?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
HDMI should be all you need. The GTX580 absolutely will bitstream 7 channels over HDMI, and will output DTS, DD, TrueHD and DTS-MA.

TK423

Grip
Real Name
Cory
But because the GTX 580 can't do bitstream doesn't that mean that all I will get is lossy audio and improper surround sound?

TK423

Grip
Real Name
Cory
Hmm. That'd be great news but I've seen several sources mention that the GTX 580 can't bitstream.
[...]the bad news is that full audio bitstreaming is not supported so it’s the same as it was on the GTX 480: 8 channel LPCM and lossy audio formats like DD+ and DTS.
Not saying your wrong, just figured it was worth mentioning. Just want to make sure whatever I do wind up getting works completely and correctly, you know? Either way, this card via HDMI to the receiver will be able to properly project all major surround sound formats used today, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks