Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Official 2013 Oscar Nominations Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#61 of 183 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,788 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 11 2013 - 02:42 PM

Of the ones I've seen (Argo, Life of Pi, Lincoln, Les Miserables) I'd probably vote for Lincoln, but Life of Pi would be a VERY close second.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#62 of 183 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,487 posts

Posted January 12 2013 - 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Elliott  It's not so much a pretty contest. Ugly people are jealous of other ugly people. I'm sure there are many in Hollywood who are jealous of Gere and this might play into him never getting a nom. I mean, this year and this film was pretty much "his time," which is something else Hollywood likes to do to those who hung around for a long time. Some sort of a career thank you. Perhaps it's part jealousy, part no one saw the movie and perhaps some just don't care to honor him because he's never really had a rough spot anywhere in his career. If he wasn't in a blockbuster or dating a model he was at least giving a great performance in a small film. There's really no where to point and say he had a low period in his career or life. He's always been on top and perhaps some don't want to give this an even "higher" award. Perhaps the same for DiCaprio. Re: Tarantino debate I've been rather critical of him (especially his last film) but I still think DJANGO is the best film I've seen so far this year. It's still far from perfect but unless ZERO, IMPOSSIBLE or AMOUR really knock me out, to me 2012 had some very good movies and some great ones but none that were really out there or stood above all others. In fact, I'd say TITANIC 3D was the best movie of the year just like it was when it was originally released. :ducksforcover:
My point was that you thought the voters might not've nominated Gere because he's handsome, even though all five actual nominees are also handsome.  Daniel Day-Lewis is probably the UGLIEST of the five 2012 Best Actor noms, and he's a good-looking guy, so I don't think you can say Gere was left out because he's handsome!
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#63 of 183 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted January 12 2013 - 06:44 AM

I like Dark Knight Rises better than Dark Knight and I think it is the best comic book film ever, way better than the Avengers which I also loved. The AFI awards this year had 8 out of the 9 Best Picture nominees on their list with Moonrise Kingdom instead of Amour, and in additio. TDKR was included. I loved all three Christopher Nolan Batman movies, but just think TDKR was the best.

#64 of 183 OFFLINE   Number 6

Number 6

Agent

• 46 posts
  • LocationVancouver, British Columbia

Posted January 12 2013 - 07:32 AM

I loved all three Christopher Nolan Batman movies, but just think TDKR was the best.
This. :)

#65 of 183 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 15,405 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 12 2013 - 12:11 PM

Finally caught Beasts of the Southern Wild tonight. What a beautiful film. Of the Best Picture nominees I've seen, it's a close third behind Lincoln and Silver Linings Playbook. So far, I've seen five of the nine nominees and loved four of the five. Looking back, 2012 was a pretty great year at the movies.

#66 of 183 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,949 posts

Posted January 12 2013 - 02:05 PM

My picks right now: Best Picture Lincoln Best Actor Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln) Best Actress Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty) Best Supporting Actor Tommy Lee Jones (Lincoln) Best Supporting Actress Anne Hathaway (Les Miserables) Best Animated Feature Film Brave Best Director David O. Russell (Silver Linings Playbook) Best Foreign-Language Film A Royal Affair (Denmark) Best Adapted Screenplay David O. Russell (Silver Linings Playbook) Best Original Screenplay Wes Anderson and Roman Coppola (Moonrise Kingdom) Production Design Anna Karenina Cinematography Life of Pi Sound Mixing Les Miserables Sound Editing Les Miserables Original Score Life of Pi (Mychael Danna) Original Song "Skyfall" from Skyfall (Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth) Costume Anna Karenina Film Editing Argo Makeup and Hairstyling Les Miserables Visual Effects The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

#67 of 183 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 15,405 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 13 2013 - 06:04 AM

My picks (who I'd like to see win, not who I think will win): Posted Image

#68 of 183 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,949 posts

Posted January 13 2013 - 06:37 AM

Adam Lenhard: Nice choices! We have quite a bit of overlap. And you convinced me to change one of my choices. I somehow forgot how remarkable that the sound people—Andy Nelson, Mark Paterson, and Simon Hayes—truly did an impressive job mixing Les Miserables. I loved Argo too, and wish I could recall the sound on it better. And here's a question that reveals my lack of knowledge: What's the difference between editing and mixing?

#69 of 183 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,583 posts

Posted January 13 2013 - 07:27 AM

And here's a question that reveals my lack of knowledge: What's the difference between editing and mixing?
Sound editing is assembling all the sounds for the film, putting them together, and in some cases, creating new sounds by combining existing ones. The category used to be Sound Effects Editing, but I guess now they're including the dialogue editing, too. Sound mixing is the balancing of levels for dialogue, effects, and music in the final soundtrack for the movie. Actually, I think there should be a Special Achievement Oscar given this year to the production sound team on Les Miserables for capturing all of that singing live on set. That had to have been a challenge (not to mention one for the studio orchestra later on).
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#70 of 183 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,739 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 13 2013 - 07:50 AM

Which of these have you seen, and which one would you vote for? Best Picture Beasts of the Southern Wild Silver Linings Playbook Zero Dark Thirty Lincoln Les Miserables Life of Pi Amour Django Unchained Argo
After some catching up this weekend, I seen them all except Beasts Of The Southern Wild and Amour (I hadn't even heard of Amour until the nominations but I assume it'll hit a theater near me in a week or two). As of now, I think Lincoln will win and I'd probably vote for Lincoln, Django Unchained or maybe even Argo. There's no slam dunk choice this year for me so I'm good with most of them winning.

#71 of 183 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,277 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted January 15 2013 - 04:27 PM

All I know for sure is that I have never seen a "LOCK" on an award like Adele has on Best Song for "Skyfall".  It would be a shock of unbelievable proportions if it didn't win, hell people would question whether or not web voting was screwed up if it happened.  I've seen them all now, and I admit I would put several films that didn't even get nominated above some of those that did. But here are my picks: Best Picture: My Pick: Django Unchained Will Win: Life of Pi. (The divided race screws up Argo and Zero Dark Thirty) Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis (will win/should win) Best Actress: My Pick: Jennifer Lawrence Will Win: Jessica Chastain Best Supporting Actor:  Christoph Walz (my Pick) Will Win: Tommy Lee Jones  (I'm OK with this) Best Supporting Actress: My Pick: Helen Hunt Will Win: Anne Hathaway Best Director: (really, I think the best two directors aren't even included, but what do I know). So, Ang Lee, Life of Pi Best Cinematography: Life of Pi (will/should win) Animated Film: Brave Best Song: "Skyfall" Will Win/Should Win/there is no real competition in this category Costumes:  Les Mis (I will crack that it's a brutal happening that 'Hunger Games' did not get a nomination here as it's costume and makeup work was amongst the most original of the year) Best Short Animated: Paperman
trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#72 of 183 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted January 16 2013 - 10:47 AM

My point was that you thought the voters might not've nominated Gere because he's handsome, even though all five actual nominees are also handsome.  Daniel Day-Lewis is probably the UGLIEST of the five 2012 Best Actor noms, and he's a good-looking guy, so I don't think you can say Gere was left out because he's handsome!
Well, we'd be hard pressed to find any non-attractive people who got nominations or won so I'll stick by my original comments. I think some just feel Gere has had it too easy in life so they're not about to reward him. I'm not saying this guy is Brando and one could argue that his performance wasn't one of the five best of the year but every year or two people are awarded for their lifetime work. I think Gere has done a pretty remarkable job over his career and this film was to be his shot at some love. I finally caught up with all the noms except AMOUR as well as some others that were supposed to have gotten more attention. I watched HYDE PARK ON HUDSON yesterday and I'm a little surprised Murray didn't get more attention but I'm guessing the mixed reviews to the movie hurt. THE IMPOSSIBLE was good and the performances were very good but I think Watts could have been replaced on the list. ZERO DARK THIRTY was great and it's funny to see its chances at a win have gotten luke-warm since the controversy started. It's a real shame that Bigelow wasn't nominated and for her and Affleck to be left out with these "proud America" films is just shocking. COMPLIANCE seemed to be getting some thought for a Supporting Actress shot but I agree that Dowd just missed the cut. Rough film but worth sitting through.

#73 of 183 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,440 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 16 2013 - 02:35 PM

The problem with nominating twice as many films for Best Picture than Director is that somebody deserving of the latter nomination is going to get screwed especially if said nominations happen during a really good film year like 2012 was.  No conspiracy theory for me, but just a flaw in the nomination process as most directors of films earning Best Picture Nominations deserve to be nominated for Best Director too.  There will be such snubs more often than not due to that nomination process. Crawdaddy

#74 of 183 ONLINE   John Stell

John Stell

Supporting Actor

• 867 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted January 18 2013 - 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by TravisR 

After some catching up this weekend, I seen them all except Beasts Of The Southern Wild and Amour (I hadn't even heard of Amour until the nominations but I assume it'll hit a theater near me in a week or two).

Amour opens up here in Baltimore, MD on Friday the 25th.  Here's a link that should tell people who are interested when the film is opening near them.

http://jabcatmovies....nd-us-theaters/
"...you would not understand...You do not...have...daughters."

#75 of 183 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted January 24 2013 - 04:34 PM

RUST AND BONE finally opened around here and I must add Cotillard was really robbed. I'd certainly put her higher than Watts and Wallis and she's head-to-head with the other two.

#76 of 183 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,252 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted January 25 2013 - 02:44 AM

For some reason I'm not on the "Chastain love train". She did an interview on Letterman(pretty sure it was Letterman) and basically pronounced... "I'm the best actress." She said it in the tone that she's the best EVER. Like she has a vendetta over the fact it "took so long" to finally get a movie. This interview was right after Jolene and right before(whichever one it was) her next came out. Letterman asked how she landed so many good roles in "upcoming movies"... "Because they want the movies to be good." I do remember them talking about Tree of Life(which might have been the "next movie"). She said "I carried it." Praising yourself for carrying a pretentious movie... (Yes I've sat through Tree of Life) Now, I'm all for self-confidence, but come on. It seems to me that she has become the female incarnate of Shia Lebouf. (If you recall a while back, several movie reviewers quipped..."They must have passed a new law in Hollywood where Shia has to be in every movie.")

#77 of 183 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,212 posts

Posted January 25 2013 - 03:48 AM

Shia was just the next version of Jude Law in the over-exposed movie actor category. :)
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#78 of 183 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,252 posts

Posted January 25 2013 - 04:47 AM

Maybe if she starts swinging some clout the indie direction(Sarah Polley/Maggie/Paz[both]/Charlize/elizabeth Olsen etc)... She might, to me, come off the "higher than thou art" pedistal.

#79 of 183 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,487 posts

Posted January 25 2013 - 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by schan1269  For some reason I'm not on the "Chastain love train". She did an interview on Letterman(pretty sure it was Letterman) and basically pronounced... "I'm the best actress." She said it in the tone that she's the best EVER. Like she has a vendetta over the fact it "took so long" to finally get a movie. This interview was right after Jolene and right before(whichever one it was) her next came out. Letterman asked how she landed so many good roles in "upcoming movies"... "Because they want the movies to be good." I do remember them talking about Tree of Life(which might have been the "next movie"). She said "I carried it." Praising yourself for carrying a pretentious movie... (Yes I've sat through Tree of Life) Now, I'm all for self-confidence, but come on. It seems to me that she has become the female incarnate of Shia Lebouf. (If you recall a while back, several movie reviewers quipped..."They must have passed a new law in Hollywood where Shia has to be in every movie.")
Yeah, I really think I'd need to see this alleged interview before I'd accept that she was so arrogant and full of herself...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#80 of 183 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,252 posts

Posted January 25 2013 - 10:13 AM

Yeah, I really think I'd need to see this alleged interview before I'd accept that she was so arrogant and full of herself...
I just watched the Jan 31st 2012 Letterman(where she is promoting Coriolanus) and it wasn't that one (she did say..."I like the smarty-pants roles"). She is rumored to be(although no confirmations to be found anywhere) Ron Howard's "other" daughter...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users