Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Official 2013 Oscar Nominations Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#21 of 183 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,045 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted January 10 2013 - 03:22 AM

No John Hawkes, no Ben Affleck. Interesting. I thought that they were both locks on this. No Kathryn Bigelow, which is pretty terrible, since the movie got screenplay and picture noms, among others. Like...WTH?? Did it direct itself? (And Flight -- really?)

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#22 of 183 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted January 10 2013 - 04:00 AM

No John Hawkes, no Ben Affleck. Interesting. I thought that they were both locks on this. No Kathryn Bigelow, which is pretty terrible, since the movie got screenplay and picture noms, among others. Like...WTH?? Did it direct itself? (And Flight -- really?)

I agree. Although I didn't really think Samuel Jackson would get nominated, I thought for sure that Bigelow, Hawkes and Affleck would.

#23 of 183 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,858 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 10 2013 - 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by joshEH 

No John Hawkes, no Ben Affleck. Interesting. I thought that they were both locks on this.

No Kathryn Bigelow, which is pretty terrible, since the movie got screenplay and picture noms, among others. Like...WTH?? Did it direct itself?

(And Flight -- really?)

Denzel's performance was deserving of his nomination.  The writing nomination is a different matter.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#24 of 183 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,187 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 10 2013 - 04:19 AM

No Kathryn Bigelow, which is pretty terrible, since the movie got screenplay and picture noms, among others. Like...WTH?? Did it direct itself?

I thought her work on Zero Dark Thirty was better than The Hurt Locker and she won the Oscar that time.

#25 of 183 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted January 10 2013 - 04:24 AM

I'm so excited and happy for all of the "Lincoln" nominations. It's already one of my all-time favorite films.

#26 of 183 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,842 posts

Posted January 10 2013 - 04:39 AM

I did see "The Beasts of the Southern Wild", but something just didn't really sit right with me, maybe it was the impressionistic narrative from the point of view from the little girl, perhaps that's the perceived brilliance of the film. I found it hard to genre-lize it as sci-fi, maybe more like speculative fiction in movie form.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#27 of 183 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,025 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted January 10 2013 - 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by joshEH 

No John Hawkes, no Ben Affleck. Interesting. I thought that they were both locks on this.

(And Flight -- really?)

Yeah, I thought Hawkes was a lock.

I was a bit surprised that Hunger Games didn't get some costuming nods, definitely over Mirror-Mirror and Snow White & The Hunstmen

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#28 of 183 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted January 10 2013 - 06:06 AM

While I'm sure all the movies nominated for the major awards are of high quality, I still think that it is a disgrace that over the last two tears, phenomenally well received films, commercially and critically have been overlooked, WITH A VACANT SPOT FOR BEST PICTURE! This means none of these movies recieved even 2% of the vote. Harry Potter was phenomenal and without a doubt my favorite film of last year. This year, Dark Knight, and Skyfall should have both been nominated, and neither one was. How does Avatar get a nomination for Best Picture and none of these did? And does Les Miserables get a free nomination because Tom Hooper's last film won Best Picture? TDKR, Skyfall, and HPATDHP2, are great films with emotional resonance that transcends their genres, and all should have been nominated. The Academy won points with me with the LOTR nominations and wins, but IMHO they have taken a step back into the world of art house snobbery. And I'm a person who has liked just about every Best Picture nominated film I have ever watched.

#29 of 183 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,511 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted January 10 2013 - 06:16 AM

I completed zoned over the fact that Life Of Pi scored 11 noms, just one shy of Lincoln's haul. That's a pretty amazing showing for a film which had been relegated to second-tier status behind presumed stronger contender like Les Mis, Argo & ZDT. All of these three are dead, IMO, as far as winning BP. Lincoln is the front-runner, but I think it's a weaker leader than we have seen in several years. I would have to put Silver Linings Playbook as its main competitor, because it is an actor's showcase and as we know actors make up the bulk of the Academy membership. We could be looking at a replay of 1998.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#30 of 183 Guest_Larry-Bender_*

Guest_Larry-Bender_*

Posted January 10 2013 - 06:17 AM

Richard Gere should of been nominated for Arbitrage.

#31 of 183 OFFLINE   Number 6

Number 6

Agent

• 46 posts
  • LocationVancouver, British Columbia

Posted January 10 2013 - 06:43 AM

Baffling, in my opinion, that Django Unchained was nominated for Best Picture and Best Screenplay. Truly baffling. This smacks of the classic bandwagoning that out-of-touch Academy members often get up to. Tarantino apologists will surely disagree, but Django was an unrestrained and often incoherent mess. Flat, one-dimensional characters (simple archetypes, really), absent motivation for these characters, hazy pacing, and an illogical and flimsy plot that does not bear up under scrutiny are not typically hallmarks of Oscar nominated screenplays or pictures. Christoph Waltz, however, is the one saving grace. While his character fell prey to lazy writing, his performance rose above it. It was the one thing that kept the film afloat for me.

#32 of 183 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,842 posts

Posted January 10 2013 - 07:10 AM

Cloud Atlas got no love in the Make-up category. :)
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#33 of 183 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,045 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted January 10 2013 - 07:15 AM

At least Quentin doesn't get to punch Tom Hooper for taking his Best Director-spot. I like the Skyfall song, but I strongly believe that they nommed it just to get Adele to sing it on the show and pop their ratings. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIt0fmRn-GM Let's pray something exactly like this happens again this year. If only to see Daniel Craig pick up Adele in his arms as they are lifted offstage together.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#34 of 183 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,275 posts

Posted January 10 2013 - 07:24 AM

Quote:
Just need to see Zero Dark Thirty (tomorrow or Saturday) and Amour (not playing in this area yet) to finish off my 2012 Oscar viewings.

Same for myself, however...

Recently saw Amour.

It is everything that I had feared it would be going into it.

It is a masterpiece for certain, and Ms. Riva certainly deserves the Oscar nod,

but it's a most difficult, depressing film to sit through.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#35 of 183 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted January 10 2013 - 07:32 AM

Nothing too surprising, but I thought the awards hunters actually made some pretty good films this year overall. Lincoln is about as traditional an "Oscar movie" as you can get, but it was genuinely a great film, so I'm happy for its nominations.
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#36 of 183 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,187 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 10 2013 - 08:10 AM

Tarantino apologists will surely disagree...

Ugh. I know that people love name calling and easy labels when it comes to political discussions on the internet but I hope it doesn't happen for movies too.

#37 of 183 ONLINE   Number 6

Number 6

Agent

• 46 posts
  • LocationVancouver, British Columbia

Posted January 10 2013 - 08:49 AM

Ugh. I know that people love name calling and easy labels when it comes to political discussions on the internet but I hope it doesn't happen for movies too.

No name-calling intended. As a screenwriter myself and a screenwriting instructor at a major university, I regularly am in the trenches regarding critical reaction to contemporary screenwriring--it's part of my job. (Which is not to say my opinion is of any more value than anyone else's, mind you. Just that I might look at things a bit more process-oriented than some folks.) I often find that Tarantino is a writer whose work often escapes any real critical examination by his exuberant admirers--it's gold, no matter what he puts up on the screen and damn anyone who says otherwise. When there is the rare moment of admission that the work might not be perfect, it is usually swiftly followed by something along the lines of "Well, it's still better than _______." Ergo my (perhaps misplaced) 'apologist' remark. Blind admiration for an artist's work--and Tarantino's is a prime example--concerns me--at least in the case of developing writers. Tarantino is abundantly talented and some of his work has moments of real brilliance. Unfortunately, these moments, these teachable moments for developing writers, often get caught and lost in the undertow of all the 'noise' of his approach altogether. And, sadly, what he does well (or used to do), his real skill at the subtle groundwork of building characterization, is completely ignored in favour of all of the sensational (and far less effective) trappings of his work. As I'm fond of pointing out to students, it's one thing to have your favourites--we all do and should (I have some pretty 'bad' ones myself)--but it is an entirely different matter to judge craft on its technical merits--which, one would like to believe, is exactly what the Oscar competition is all about. At least that's what it is presented as (and what my comments referred to.) So, please, accept my apologies for my 'apologist' remark. :)

#38 of 183 OFFLINE   James David Walley

James David Walley

Stunt Coordinator

• 148 posts

Posted January 10 2013 - 09:48 AM

The general rule-of-thumb for handicapping the Best Picture race is to look for those films with nominations for both director and editing as well. Often, all five (in the old days) nominees qualified. This year, only three do: Lincoln, Life Of Pi, and Silver Linings Playbook.
Raven Falls Photography
Nature, Architecture, and Fine-Art Images

#39 of 183 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 10 2013 - 09:49 AM

Life of Pi is perhaps the quietest 10+ nominated film ever. I'm glad it got such recognition, but I really think it only has a decent shot at winning Score.

This is a race between Lincoln and Silver Linings Playbook, folks. Lincoln has the edge if only because it appeals to both the actors and the technical voting blocks.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#40 of 183 OFFLINE   Chris Will

Chris Will

Supporting Actor

• 738 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted January 10 2013 - 10:07 AM

Really rooting for John Williams to pick up his 6th Oscar! Lincoln is the best score of the year IMO. Baffled by Skyfall's score nomination, I thought it was a very mediocre score. I would have nominated The Amazing Spider-man (Horner), The Hobbit (Shore) or John Carter (Giacchino) before Skyfall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users