• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#181 of 183 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted February 26 2013 - 05:06 AM

If there was any logic to it, Best Picture would be the only award they'd give out since, by definition, it would have the best of everything (Acting, Directing, script, effects, music, etc.). There would be no need to give out dozens of individual awards.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#182 of 183 WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,218 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 09:58 AM

If there was any logic to it, Best Picture would be the only award they'd give out since, by definition, it would have the best of everything (Acting, Directing, script, effects, music, etc.). There would be no need to give out dozens of individual awards.

Not so sure I agree with that. The way I think of it is that the Best Picture is the sum of all the components. The BP winner may not have the best score, or editing etc. over other contenders, but when looked at as a whole it becomes a different story. Looking at it the other way, a film could have had a score, or cinematography etc that blew away all the competition, but as a whole said film just might not be a worthy contender for B.P.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#183 of 183 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,146 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 27 2013 - 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by WillG 

Not so sure I agree with that. The way I think of it is that the Best Picture is the sum of all the components. The BP winner may not have the best score, or editing etc. over other contenders, but when looked at as a whole it becomes a different story. Looking at it the other way, a film could have had a score, or cinematography etc that blew away all the competition, but as a whole said film just might not be a worthy contender for B.P.

Agreed. And I think the same can be said for Directing, which is why I never get overly concerned when Picture and Director go to different films.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users