What's new

How much bass usually goes to center and surrounds?? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Brett
OK here is my situation. I just set up my new setup and i'm getting a null in my bass response at my seat at around 70hz, its very noticable by ear. My fronts have two 6.5 woofers each and they can play 70hz and sound pretty good. I tried lowering the bass crossover in the receiver to 60 hz and i notice an improvement at 70hz because my fronts seem to help output some of the bass and it seems to be a smoother sweep of my test tones. The thing is my receiver doesnt have multiple crossover adjustments for each channel. I just have one setting. I was worried about the 60hz crossover as my center and surrounds are only advertised at 80hz-20k...as they will also be subject to the same crossover as the front... Playing 2ch stereo is no big deal as the other speakers are not used but during movies all channels are playing. I was wondering if there actually tends to be alot of bass directed to center and surrounds?? or mostly front and LFE channel. I was just concerned if it would be a problem if the center and rears got 60hz signals like actually damaging parts or something?? Or i could possibly set my fronts to large and keep the 80hz crossover but i am afraid they wont handle a full signal?? (IIRC Large speaker setting sends all frequencies to the speaker correct?) the towers are advertised to go to 50hz btw my setup is onkyo 313 AVR, fluance SX speakers and bic f12 sub.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't think they mix much deep bass into the center and surrounds but it depends on the movie or surround sound music disc like DVD-A or concert dvd's. But I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you really crank the volume up. But if you're really concerned about this you can put a 100 hz bass blocker into the positive side of the speaker wire. I've never tried doing it but in theory it should work. This one would block 150 hz with an 8 ohm load (half the frequency of a 4 ohm load). Your local car stereo intallation shop should be able to hook you up with something. Be sure to tell them the speakers ohm rating so you get the right part. http://www.amazon.com/Bass-Stopper-300-Hz-150/dp/B0002KRCIG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357771184&sr=1-1&keywords=bass+blockers

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Would this be a better option or am I leading him astray :blush: . http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=266-462

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Here is a possible solution... http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLKAUDIO-REFERENCE-MONITOR-LOUDSPEAKER-SYSTEM-RM-1000w-home-audio-subwoofer-/380543209528?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item589a249038 Email the guy. Polk made two versions. One where the mains went in...then you hooked up your sats. And another one where you had to externally use a crossover. If the former, not the latter...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, if you live anywhere near me...I'd sell you one for $50. I am NOT shipping the thing. I have one of each...had them for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks