What's new

3D Another doom and gloom prediction....3-D (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852452/death-of-3d

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
It's just a sensationalist article designed to get traffic. At CES 2013, LG demoed a new Curved 3D OLED TV, glasses-less 3D was a focus, and 3D is of course built into most of the new TVs demonstrated at the show. It's perhaps no longer a major focus of the entire show, but it's obvious misinformation to imply that 3D wasn't a part of CES 2013. 4K UHD is obviously this year's key theme, and if anything, it's a sign that 3D has become an accepted mainstream feature when it's not longer hyped as being an innovation.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I like how even those COMMENTING on the article can't seem to make head or tail of it-- It seems to have no connection to its tabloid headline whatsoever, except, try this: 3-D is "dying" because studios weren't promoting it at the CES...But, y'see, it's a, quote, "weird and ironic dichotomy" that the reasons Sony and LG weren't promoting it was that 3D had become so standard in all new high-end and 4K sets that they didn't have to give it special promotion or top-biling anymore...Which must apparently mean that the "honeymoon's over" and companies are "losing interest" if they're just burying 3D capability in the display specs along with the 1080p. So, y'see, it's become so common now that it's "dying", if they're not promoting it...Anybody following this? Good. Now explain it to me. :confused:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I think you need to separate the guts of the article from the writer's - probably prejudiced - conclusions. He states that 3D was not the big selling point at this year's show and then reminds us that every new TV has 3D built in, so selling 3D is no longer necessary. Fair enough; all pretty obvious and non controversial. From this he draws the irrational conclusion that this proves that 3D is dead! It's his brain that's dead. There is no logic at all in his conclusion. I don't know how well 3D is doing or how long it will last. I fully accept it might disappear in a few years like a passing fad. But at present it is too soon to judge and that article is idiotic.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
It reminds me of a couple of Yogi Berra quotes: No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded. and You couldn't get a conversation going, everyone was talking too much. That aside, and irrespective of the prejudices in the article, whilst 3D appears to have gained a firm foothold, it seems quite small. Still just a niche of specific (though profitable) film genres (kids' animation/horror/fantasy/sci-fi) with the odd exception. But the exceptions are incredibly odd - we've had Hugo and Life of Pi, and...well Hugo and Life of Pi. Three years on from Avatar, and we've not really got very far, despite massive investment and promotion. It's not dead, it just appears to be meandering around in its own home muttering to itself. I just wonder if, in ten years time, where we'll be. I don't think 3D will disappear, but I just don't see it leaving its ghetto, other for the odd adventure every year or two. Steve W

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yeah, CD's are dead DVD & Blu-ray, all dead. It's an easy article to write in this time of fast changes. But having said that, I've no interest in 3D, & haven't seen a 3D film. At the start of last year on a BBC radio film program, they interviewed a cinema manager on how the year had gone (2011), & he was talking about the (surprise) hits & misses, & he went on to say that the big failure of the year had been 3D, he said the audience just weren't interested & didn't like paying the extra money for it. I don't know how it went last year.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Yorkshire said:
It reminds me of a couple of Yogi Berra quotes: No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded.
Or, as most folks say, "Nobody drives in NYC, there's too much traffic!"
That aside, and irrespective of the prejudices in the article, whilst 3D appears to have gained a firm foothold, it seems quite small. Still just a niche of specific (though profitable) film genres (kids' animation/horror/fantasy/sci-fi) with the odd exception. But the exceptions are incredibly odd - we've had Hugo and Life of Pi, and...well Hugo and Life of Pi. Three years on from Avatar, and we've not really got very far, despite massive investment and promotion. It's not dead, it just appears to be meandering around in its own home muttering to itself. I just wonder if, in ten years time, where we'll be. I don't think 3D will disappear, but I just don't see it leaving its ghetto, other for the odd adventure every year or two.
ESPN's announced taking another stab at broadcast 3D, now that we've heard of it and actually have sets. If you don't remember them taking a stab at it earlier, that's probably because half the cable providers dropped it, and headlines immediately proclaimed....well, you can GUESS what they claimed, whether the headlines said it or not. :rolleyes: Some people sure seem to be taking a lot of psychological hostages, just to punish Robert Zemeckis.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Yorkshire said:
It's not dead, it just appears to be meandering around in its own home muttering to itself.
It's a niche within a niche, so it's never going to be some sort of phenomenon that takes over the world. That's not the same as saying that it is irrelevant or dying. If that were the case, then we could say that because most people still don't have a blu-ray player, or that because most people don't have 7.1 channel sound systems, that these technologies are irrelevant, or stagnant, or dying - whatever the naysayers want to imply. 3D is there for people to enjoy if they wish, and it's been incorporated into most decent TVs now in such a way that it doesn't harm 2D image quality, and doesn't force you to use it if you don't want it. I'm not sure why some people keep wishing for it to go away? Seems to be an element of sour grapes involved for those who don't want to pay to upgrade to 3D.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
First, I have no interest in 3D for home viewing at the moment. I'm sure many people are curious about it and wouldn't mind having a nice new set capable of displaying 3D but, I also suspect most people consider it a luxury they can live without at least until price come down dramatically.Speaking of price, most folks I know associate 3D with a big price tag. I know better than that because I happen to work near a large electronics store and can easily walk down to it and do so regularly so I know prices aren't that high but a lot of people just aren't even interested in doing the research. 3D is a "back burner" thing right now. But, no, it's not dead.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Persianimmortal said:
It's a niche within a niche, so it's never going to be some sort of phenomenon that takes over the world. That's not the same as saying that it is irrelevant or dying.
I think I largely agree. Not all films are 7.1 and probably never will be, but there'll be a continuation of a few films made every year in that format. Ditto 3D, I expect. It's only 'dead' (or at least this is my guess) in that people have argued that it's a simple, logical progression, in the way that the change to sound and colour were. We hear sound when we see the world. We see the world in colour. We see the world stereoscopically. But I think that theory for the future of 3D appears to be dead. Steve W

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Or at least pining for the fjords...
As a technology, you're not dead when everybody hates and derides you. Neither will limited commercial sales kill off your chances. But indifference of the kind signalled by this year's CES is the truest symptom of a terminal trajectory. The 3D TV won its tortured, protracted war — you can buy a 3D TV anywhere and at any time — and nobody could care less.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852452/death-of-3d Personally I disagree that it's dead, what do you guys think?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I think the demise of 3D is greatly exaggerated. The idea of 3D being the be all and end all of visual media? Yeah, that's dead, but 3D will continue to exist despite the naysayers words to the contrary. It's just another tool in the artist's palette.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Its not dead. 50 to 60 3D films (shorts included) will be released each year at movies theatres. Most of those films will be released on Blu-ray 3D in addtion to old 3D films. It will always be a small market as there are people who can't see 3D, makes them sick, don't care for it, never go to a movie theatre or have a TV too small to enjoy it.

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon Lidolt
Stephen_J_H said:
I think the demise of 3D is greatly exaggerated. The idea of 3D being the be all and end all of visual media? Yeah, that's dead, but 3D will continue to exist despite the naysayers words to the contrary. It's just another tool in the artist's palette.
I totally agree with your comment. Why should a filmmaker avoid shooting in 3 dimensions if the subject merits it? Just look at the incredible use of the technique in movies such as Hugo and Life of Pi. If a moviegoer doesn't like it, he or she can always opt for the flat screen presentation. 3D isn't dead, it just takes an intelligent director to use the technique to good effect.

GregK

Screenwriter
If I had a nickle for every "3-D is dead or dying" news story I've read over the past couple of years, I'd be rich. :P So is 3-D still the new rave? Obviously no. Does that mean 3-D is dead or dying? Again, obviously no.

fxrh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam Calvin
I've never understood the mentality of those who say, "If I'm not interested, then you'd better not be interested either." I have two 3D HDTVs and approximately 55 3D Blu-rays. I love 3D. If you hate it, fine. But don't tell me that I'm wrong to love it. I don't rain on your parade, so stop raining on mine.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
fxrh said:
I love 3D. If you hate it, fine. But don't tell me that I'm wrong to love it. I don't rain on your parade, so stop raining on mine.
Who's raining on your parade? Who's told you you're wrong to love 3D?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Robin9 said:
Who's raining on your parade? Who's told you you're wrong to love 3D?
I'm not going to try to answer for Sam but I've seen lots of people online who talk about a topic (be it a movie or book or music or 3-D or whatever) that seem offended that anyone could like it and have to endlessly tell them why they're wrong for liking it. No one flat out says "You can not like this" but when they can't just live and let live, it's tough to not read the posts as being told why your thoughts are wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks