What's new

I cant get audio through my surround sound speakers while watching tv channels (1 Viewer)

wsalter6

Auditioning
Real Name
Wesley
Hello all, I have just recently purchased a Samsung HT-E550 home entertainment system. I have a Hisense 32" tv model number H32V77C..yes I know this is a crappy tv, but it was a gift. Anyways, I have tried almost everything to try and get the speakers to play audio when watching tv. I have an HDMI cable going from the dvd player that it came with to my tv. When I watch DVD's, the sound is fine and plays through the speakers. When I switch back to tv, it will not work. I then looked on some of these forums, and believed that I might need a digital optical cable to help solve the problem. The DVD player that came with this surround sound unit had a digital optical cable output, but my tv does not have a digital optical input. It does; however, have a digital audio input (I think this is a digital coax input)..Anyways, I bought a Toslink to digital converter so that I could have a digital optical output coming from the DVD player into the converter. After this, there is a digital Coax coming from the converter to the Digital Audio Input on the back of my tv. I have set the function to D.in on the samasung DVD player. It still will not work..any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Output goes to input(so we get verbage correct, cause until verbage is correct...we can't get anywhere)... So... 1. This Hisense has a digital coaxial output. 2 DVD HTiB has digital toslink input. 3. You bought digital coax to toslink adapter (with these I think they are bi-directional anyway). Ok..settings in TV(I'm using a phone so I can't "look stuff up)... Make sure audio output is turned on...and the internal speakers turned off. Look for a setting for "variable/fixed audio output". Choose fixed. (If you find that, and it is different...tell us your choices) Make sure DD/5.1 is turned on. Some(not many, but this is craptastic HTiB) HTiB can't digest 2.0 PCM.

wsalter6

Auditioning
Real Name
Wesley
This crappy Hisense doesn't even give an option for variable or fixed audio output. The only options it gives in audio settings are: 1) Balance 2) Surround Sound (this is with the internal speakers) on/off 3) SPDIF Type (which is also internal speakers ) set at Dolby Digital 4) EQ 5) Auto Volume Control set to on

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That must be one of the rare(used to not be rare) ones that has variable audio out. Turn the speakers off. Set DD and turn the volume all the way up. Yeah, yeah...it would make sense to "turn the volume down"...but turn it up. Turn "off" the auto volume.

wsalter6

Auditioning
Real Name
Wesley
I tried what you said in your last response, and it did not work. I have the remote that came with the Samsung Home Entertainment System connected with my TV. I can only change settings with the surround sound when it is in DVD function on the remote. When I switch to tv, it only controls the internal tv speakers volume, the channels, and power. I am not sure if this might have something to do with the issue or not. I have DD set on my tv settings and the auto volume is turned off. When you say turn the volume up..I assume you mean on the tv? And since the remote is connected with my tv now, should I do this manualy on the tv?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes. There is another guy on here with a Hisense he got connected to an Onkyo HTS5500 (SX4DUDE, or something like that)...you might ask him specifics. With some of this stuff(if the manual is that bad) you have to find somebody with the same brand to get help. Such as...I bought this Zojirushi* brand of water warmer(it boils 4 liters of water then keeps it at either 140/175/195/208 all day long). The owners manual for this thing is written in such bad Engrish(look up Engrish.com)... You are led to believe the timer on it is to tell it how long to keep the water hot and then shut off. I went online and sure enough...I found blurb after blurb explaining the timer is so you can fill it up and delay the start. That is not what the manual says. Well, not in English anyway. *If any of you... 1. Need a water warmer... 2. Live near a mall with a Teavana Teavana is clearancing the Zojirushi CDW-40(something like that) for $75. Amazon and Ebay have them for $120 and up.

sx4dude2013

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
schan1269 said:
Yes. There is another guy on here with a Hisense he got connected to an Onkyo HTS5500 (SX4DUDE, or something like that)...you might ask him specifics. With some of this stuff(if the manual is that bad) you have to find somebody with the same brand to get help. Such as...I bought this Zojirushi* brand of water warmer(it boils 4 liters of water then keeps it at either 140/175/195/208 all day long). The owners manual for this thing is written in such bad Engrish(look up Engrish.com)... You are led to believe the timer on it is to tell it how long to keep the water hot and then shut off. I went online and sure enough...I found blurb after blurb explaining the timer is so you can fill it up and delay the start. That is not what the manual says. Well, not in English anyway. *If any of you... 1. Need a water warmer... 2. Live near a mall with a Teavana Teavana is clearancing the Zojirushi CDW-40(something like that) for $75. Amazon and Ebay have them for $120 and up.
Just replied to his PM, hopefully he will get it working soon!

ryanperkoski

Auditioning
Real Name
ryan perk
hi guys,

im new and was wondering if this issue was resolved? I am currently battling the same issue.

Many thanks

Squashy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Josh
You have the same exact problem with same exact tv? Or your experiencing a similar problem with your tv and htib? One way to always get your tv to play with the surround is the two units have to be connected. Typically, as they mentioned on this thread above, the tv has to be connected to the home theater unit. This can be done using the tv audio out and connecting to the home theater audio in. This is usually an an optical, digital coax, or rca, or mini jack, if you have the same hisenz as the member does above i believe he said it was digital coax, now just look at the back of your home theater and see what audio inputs you have available. You will be perfect if your tv has another hdmi and so does the home theater, but if not your typically going to be using one of the cables i mentioned. Hope this helpsCheers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks